You're on the clock....

Dcash4

I've been doing a lot of thinking about this, but if we could get a minor trade back in the 1st round, maybe to 23 or so, I would take Desmond Ridder in Round 1. 

The chances we are picking high enough to get a top QB next year I think is small. I think Ridder is the most pro ready QB in this class but also won't be pressured to start immediately. 

13 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

I've been doing a lot of thinking about this, but if we could get a minor trade back in the 1st round, maybe to 23 or so, I would take Desmond Ridder in Round 1. 

The chances we are picking high enough to get a top QB next year I think is small. I think Ridder is the most pro ready QB in this class but also won't be pressured to start immediately. 

A couple thoughts on this, If they're targeting Ridder they aren't gonna move down 3. They're gonna take him at #20. Furthermore, if Ridder is good enough to be taken at #23 he's good enough to be taken at #20. If your point of trading down is just to get an extra pick I understand that part of it. But if trading down 3 is just to make the pick more palatable, I don't understand that. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

A couple thoughts on this, If they're targeting Ridder they aren't gonna move down 3. They're gonna take him at #20. Furthermore, if Ridder is good enough to be taken at #23 he's good enough to be taken at #20. If your point of trading down is just to get an extra pick I understand that part of it. But if trading down 3 is just to make the pick more palatable, I don't understand that. 

No no, I am saying I think we can get him at 20 or 23 so if we can move down a few spots and pick up an extra pick, I prefer to see us do that. I'm not sure anyone between 21 and 32 would be taking a QB, now sure someone could trade up in front of us but I feel like if we could get a modest trade back and add to our pick arsenal that we should.

4 hours ago, wwhickok said:

If we traded down to say...32, and got the Lions early 3rd, I could PERHAPS deal with drafting Ridder.   Still wouldn't like it, but I might only jump off the 2nd story instead of the 18th.  

But as @Chieferific noted....if they like him, they are taking him at 20.  

On 4/24/2022 at 3:14 AM, bigben07MVP said:

I’m 100% with you on improving the o-line and I wouldn’t be mad at all with spending a high pick on one. I think there’s a chance it’s week 5, our running game is still mediocre at best, and we all look around and say “why did we think signing Mason Cole and James Daniels was enough to fix our running game?” However I think we would benefit more from a stud IOL than OT tbh and I just don’t see Penning as an upgrade over Moore/Chuks at all. 

That is one of the main points that I hope to avoid.  I think they still have faith in Green and they should since they made the investment.  Last year, I wanted them to draft Quinn Meinerz over Green. I agree that OT is not a high priority. I am not expecting Penning to start. He is going to need to develop.  At best, I could see him having a rookie year like Dotson did. I see him as a future investment. You can't build everything in a year. I think it is time to transition back to a more physical style and I have been saying this the past few years that Ben was getting up in age. I still say that you take the BPA in round one and then you look to fill needs from your board in each round (you may bypass a slightly higher rated prospect at one position to fill a need). 

I don't see the rookie Penning as an immediate upgrade over Chuks or Moore. I do believe he can/will be better than Chuks and we are still evaluating Moore.  We know what we have in Chuks. He is not bad, but he is not a physical, punishing type of road grader. I want some nasty on the OL. James Daniels is certainly that.  We need more players like that. I am not believing that the Penning that we see now is who and what we would see in three years. I think he matures and develops.  I picked him in this scenario and depending on who else is there, I may or may not do  it again. 

On 4/24/2022 at 9:02 AM, jebrick said:

If you wanted a stud IOL then get Johnson or Green.  Penning has zero chance to start and, is at best, the backup RT.

Zion is rated on par with Penning. Penning is a more natural OT. While Johnson can play any of the three IOL. I always respect your player analysis Jebrick. I know that you do your homework on prospects. I like what I see from Penning and I believe that he has more upside than he is being given credit for.  I also like how he competes. You can't coach effort and determination. This kid tried his best to compete with the big dawgs.  To quote Nature Boy Rick Flair, "He got off the porch and tried to beat the man! Wooo!" 

This Steelers team has lacked the fire and passion from leadership that was here going back to the days of Lloyd and Green. That type of fire and will to compete is there. The outside the bounds stuff can be contained and he can (and I believe) will mature as Jon Runyon and Taylor Lewan both have. Penning is 6'7 325 lbs and likes moving people.  As former Hogs Jacoby and Grimm used to say, "There is nothing like imposing your will on another man and moving him where he doesn't want to go!"  There are others who ascribe to this, but Penning has that type of mentality. While he doesn't have the natural gifts of a Jonathan Ogden, I see him as a guy who can be a very good RT and as equally important to me, someone who brings toughness and wants to move defensive lineman where they don't want to go.  He is scrappy and you can't take that from the kid. Your attitude can determine your altitude.

I don't claim to be perfect or infallible in my player evaluations. For as informed as we think we are this(draft/player evaluations) is still an art and not an exact science. we like who we like or dislike.  But thanks or the feedback.  I definitely appreciate reading the opposing views.  

10 minutes ago, Steeler Hitman said:

That is one of the main points that I hope to avoid.  I think they still have faith in Green and they should since they made the investment.  Last year, I wanted them to draft Quinn Meinerz over Green. I agree that OT is not a high priority. I am not expecting Penning to start. He is going to need to develop.  At best, I could see him having a rookie year like Dotson did. I see him as a future investment. You can't build everything in a year. I think it is time to transition back to a more physical style and I have been saying this the past few years that Ben was getting up in age. I still say that you take the BPA in round one and then you look to fill needs from your board in each round (you may bypass a slightly higher rated prospect at one position to fill a need). 

I don't see the rookie Penning as an immediate upgrade over Chuks or Moore. I do believe he can/will be better than Chuks and we are still evaluating Moore.  We know what we have in Chuks. He is not bad, but he is not a physical, punishing type of road grader. I want some nasty on the OL. James Daniels is certainly that.  We need more players like that. I am not believing that the Penning that we see now is who and what we would see in three years. I think he matures and develops.  I picked him in this scenario and depending on who else is there, I may or may not do  it again. 

Zion is rated on par with Penning. Penning is a more natural OT. While Johnson can play any of the three IOL. I always respect your player analysis Jebrick. I know that you do your homework on prospects. I like what I see from Penning and I believe that he has more upside than he is being given credit for.  I also like how he competes. You can't coach effort and determination. This kid tried his best to compete with the big dawgs.  To quote Nature Boy Rick Flair, "He got off the porch and tried to beat the man! Wooo!" 

This Steelers team has lacked the fire and passion from leadership that was here going back to the days of Lloyd and Green. That type of fire and will to compete is there. The outside the bounds stuff can be contained and he can (and I believe) will mature as Jon Runyon and Taylor Lewan both have. Penning is 6'7 325 lbs and likes moving people.  As former Hogs Jacoby and Grimm used to say, "There is nothing like imposing your will on another man and moving him where he doesn't want to go!"  There are others who ascribe to this, but Penning has that type of mentality. While he doesn't have the natural gifts of a Jonathan Ogden, I see him as a guy who can be a very good RT and as equally important to me, someone who brings toughness and wants to move defensive lineman where they don't want to go.  He is scrappy and you can't take that from the kid. Your attitude can determine your altitude.

I don't claim to be perfect or infallible in my player evaluations. For as informed as we think we are this(draft/player evaluations) is still an art and not an exact science. we like who we like or dislike.  But thanks or the feedback.  I definitely appreciate reading the opposing views.  

My point ( other than on top of my head) is that they are playing Chuks starter money and like Moore.  Taking a RT that can't really be the swing tackle is not a good use of the pick.

1 minute ago, jebrick said:

My point ( other than on top of my head) is that they are playing Chuks starter money and like Moore.  Taking a RT that can't really be the swing tackle is not a good use of the pick.

I can respect that.  I am not convinced that Chuks is the answer. Fortunately, they have a deal that will allow them an out next year if Chuks doesn't play like he is being paid.  I always liked Banner better as a RT, but I understand that he could never get and stay on the field. Chuks is definitely more versatile.

I am hoping that Moore continues to develop rather than has a regression as Dotson did last year.  My thought is that OT is not as stable as we may think and I don't want to have to wait until we "MUST/HAVE TO" get an OT. There are certainly other prospects that fit the bill in rounds two-four that should be available.

I see Penning as a RT who could play LT in a pinch after he develops. My thought is draft him, put him behind Chuks and you have a decent to solid set of young OT's if he and Moore develop.  I don't think he (Penning) would be an ideal swing tackle as a rookie (playing on the left, but I think they still have Haeg as well who can play LT.  Put a player like Penning on the right side and leave him there.