I Don't Think We're Drafting a WR in Round 1

MKnight82

Ok hear me out. We already have a legitimate #1 in Terry Mac. This front office gave Curtis Samuel a reasonably strong contract to come to Washington, with I'm sure assurances that he would be a big part of the offense. They spent a 3rd round pick on Dyami Brown last year. We retained Cam Sims.  That's 4 guys right there likely to make the roster, and honestly you could see with the resources spent them wanting those first 3 guys to be the top 3 on the depth chart. Drafting a 1st round WR will either displace Samuel as our #2 or push Brown down to #4 role with not a lot of targets.  Then add on the fact that you want your 1st round pick to be a guy who's going to sign a second contract, coupled with McLaurin's need for a new $100 mil contract and I'm not sure we could afford to retain a 2nd pricey WR. So it might be easy for us as fans to say hey kick Samuel to the curb and bring in a rookie, but I don't think the front office will look at it that way. 

Then look at our other needs. 

QB.  Seemingly addressed for this season by the Carson Wentz trade. 

Linebacker. Seriously doubt they would draft back to back first round off ball linebackers, but they've already been floating in the media Holcomb moving to MLB and Davis to OLB so it seems like they're going in house for this. 

OL? We lost Scherff but I think they think they replaced him with Andrew Norwell.  I mean it was basically our only free agent signing so he's going to start. I would argue the left side of our Oline has been duct taped together with cast offs from other teams scraps and the fleeting hope that Saahdiq Charles one day does something. However, this front office seems to think they can slap together a reasonably effective Oline with scraps, scheme around the rest of it and honestly some how so far it has worked. There's also been absolutely no mention of us sniffing around first round oline talent either. Second round pick maybe?  Definitely.  First round would be surprising though.  Maybe after a trade down. 

That leaves us with the secondary. They've done nothing here in the offseason other than remove Landon Collins from the roster (who remains unsigned by any team btw). They've got two pricey starting CBs and a 3rd round pick from last year at CB.  However all of these guys are best as outside boundary CBs and not in the slot. Then we seemingly have a wasteland of nothing at Safety. I like Kam Curl as much as the next guy but after landing 3 INTs his rookie season he didn't make much of an impact last year.  Taking a CB at 11 to play in the slot may be a luxury we can't afford, but if a guy like Derek Stingley drops and you think he can play all over the secondary it would be hard to pass on him. Then there's Kyle Hamilton, who despite my personal opinions of him, has been brought up quite a bit as a target for us. The question there is 1) will he even still be on the board at 11 and 2) is he really what we're looking for in a Safety? I think the answer to the first part of that is yes, I think he will be on the board at 11. His poor combine and pro day showings have seemingly pushed him out of the top 10. The second part of the question is more interesting though. He seems to be a younger version of what Landon Collins did for us last year. An in the box hybrid linebacker type who's hopefully more rangy and better in coverage. But, I also think Kam Curl's best position is this exact role.  An in the box safety closer to the line of scrimmage rather than a deep center fielder type. So even if Kyle Hamilton were to explode as a rookie, I think you're just upgrading that spot from a C+ type talent in Curl to an A performance from Hamilton. 

But what if we were to trade down and draft a guy like say Daxton Hill or Lewis Cine? Not only would we add additional draft capital, but we'd be adding an elite athletic deep center fielder who could maybe even take some snaps in the slot. That seems much more in line with what our actual needs are. The comparison would be Curl (C+) & Hamilton (A) as your starting Safeties, or Hill/Cine (B+) & Curl (B, I have him slightly higher here cause I think he's better as a SS) plus possible slot utility and all the added draft capital.  One final note too, it would be much better come 2nd contract time to pay a guy like this than to have to pony up a second $100 mil contract extension for a #2 WR. How is that not the best scenario for our team? 

Edited by MKnight82
  • Like 1

Trying to see the plan through the smoke of draft season

Option A They are terrible at creating smoke and showed everyone they want a Ohio State WR

Option B they thrown all smoke out and basically made it seem like MLB wasn't a big need despite showing us last season they didn't Trust Cole there,so they can get a MLB prob by trading back like Dean or Llyod

Option C just reading the Visits they don't care about Positions as much as BPA with Visits by top HBs and Travon Walker and other and we go BPA which prob is either going to be Hamilton, Stingley, or Cross.

2 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

We already have a legitimate #1 in Terry Mac. This front office gave Curtis Samuel a reasonably strong contract to come to Washington, with I'm sure assurances that he would be a big part of the offense. They spent a 3rd round pick on Dyami Brown last year. We retained Cam Sims.  That's 4 guys right there likely to make the roster, and honestly you could see with the resources spent them wanting those first 3 guys to be the top 3 on the depth chart. Drafting a 1st round WR will either displace Samuel as our #2 or push Brown down to #4 role with not a lot of targets. 

I agree about this.  One could also say that WR is often a position that requires a long transition to the NFL.  So we shouldn't write off Brown or even Milne yet and Sims never seems to get consistent opportunities and is still an unknown.  The counterpoint though is that if we see WR as a long term need, drafting it now would be the smart move so that player is ready to really contribute in a year. 

I don't see the contract as an issue.  If you get a 1st round WR now, then you got 3-4 years before signing them to a second contract.  And since Jamin Davis isn't going to be a big resign issue, we got a gap in that.

If we are presented a good trade down option then we could justify a WR in the first round along with another player like a linebacker

It's lying season, everybody.

They probably got Burks or London #1 on their draft board. Lol 😆

There's 5 WR's in this 1st Rd, that will probably push Dyami Brown & Cam Sims down the depth chart. With Curtis Samuels injuries & unable to make an impact with his salary last season? There gonna draft a WR. I guarantee it.

The is...when?

If one of those 5 big WR's is sitting there at #47 in the 2nd? He's as good as ours.

But I'm holding out hope they trade down in the 1st & are able to get one of those big 5 WR's & a defensive player as well.

We'll see...

Btw...I too don't think we're drafting a WR...

@11.

I think where we pick, will cue us into what their doing.

1) If we stay at 11 & pick? I personally think it's CB Stingley or S Hamilton.

2) If we trade back to about 16-22 range? (Which is what I'm hoping for) Then I DO believe it will be for one of the BIG 5 WR's projected in the 1st Rd. Possibly Linebacker as well. Or Lloyd specifically.

3) If we trade back into the mid 20's or later? (23-32 range) actually.

Then I think it will probably be either QB, OL, LBer. (I do not think this will happen, but it's not impossible)

Let's say we trade back to 25? All 5 WR's are off the board, Stingley & Hamilton of course are gone & Lloyd & CB McDuffie are off the board?  Only then could you see a QB, OL go here.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

Rick And Morty Reaction GIF

BPA we shall see I think just about every position is a option right now. When they come away with Jordan Davis and this forum erupts I probably would be the only one liking it 🤣🤣🤣

I actually would NOT hate the pick.

He's 6'6", 350lbs. I mean damn....He's Dave Butz + 55lbs.

It would also explain letting settles & Ionitus walk.

But I would certainly be confused by the pick. 

No doubt. 

I would also be concerned with Deron Payne's future.

16 minutes ago, aceinthehouse said:

Btw...I too don't think we're drafting a WR...

@11.

I think where we pick, will cue us into what their doing.

1) If we stay at 11 & pick? I personally think it's CB Stingley or S Hamilton.

2) If we trade back to about 16-22 range? (Which is what I'm hoping for) Then I DO believe it will be for one of the BIG 5 WR's projected in the 1st Rd. Possibly Linebacker as well. Or Lloyd specifically.

3) If we trade back into the mid 20's or later? (23-32 range) actually.

Then I think it will probably be either QB, OL, LBer. (I do not think this will happen, but it's not impossible)

Let's say we trade back to 25? All 5 WR's are off the board, Stingley & Hamilton of course are gone & Lloyd & CB McDuffie are off the board?  Only then could you see a QB, OL go here.

I think Dean would have to be the pick there right?