General Draft Thread

swoosh

There's been a bit more discussion in here over the last week or so and hey, it's kinda nice. Even if it's just a select few posting our mock pipe dreams, it beats the zombie wasteland this place used to be. Figured I'd start a general draft thread to keep the momentum going. 

I'll start with a hot take. I'd be on board with Jameson Williams at 8. Yes, I know WR is deep. Yes, I'm all for BPA too. Here's the thing for me, if the board falls how I think it might, Williams might very well be BPA. Obviously everyone's board will be different and that is where I'll probably receive the most flack. Without the injury though, I think Williams is the consensus #1 WR and a top 10-15 lock. And with how our roster is built, you don't need Williams to play in week 1. You can take your time with him and an added bonus is he's only 21. In a really good receiver class, Williams is a game wrecker with elite speed. I think he's the perfect compliment for Pitts too. This is a good draft to double dip at WR, so if you take Williams at 8, you can then grab someone else on day 2. We all see the huge contracts these WR's are getting, so taking one in the 1st and having an extra year on their rookie deal can't be overlooked. 

Alright, anyone else out there?

I just did one more on Draft Network

KC offered 29. & 30. + 2023 2nd and I took it. Only did the first 3 rounds ….

29. Trent McDuffie

30. David Ojabo

43. Boye Mafe

58. Alec Pierce

74. Kenneth Walker III

82. Cole Strange

Did one more on PFN .... Traded out of 8 w/ JAX for 33, 65, 70, and a 2023 2nd. And made another trade w/ MIN for 46 (can't remember the exact terms) This is what I came up with:

33. Lewis Cine

43. David Ojabo

46. Breece Hall

58. Alec Pierce

65. Tariq Woolen (Bonitto was there, I about doubled down on edges but Woolen's potential won out)

70. John Metchie III

74. David Bell

82. Cole Strange

If there is a market to trade down I think a draft like this would be great for how depleted the roster is. Thoughts?

2 hours ago, DM316 said:

Did one more on PFN .... Traded out of 8 w/ JAX for 33, 65, 70, and a 2023 2nd. And made another trade w/ MIN for 46 (can't remember the exact terms) This is what I came up with:

33. Lewis Cine

43. David Ojabo

46. Breece Hall

58. Alec Pierce

65. Tariq Woolen (Bonitto was there, I about doubled down on edges but Woolen's potential won out)

70. John Metchie III

74. David Bell

82. Cole Strange

If there is a market to trade down I think a draft like this would be great for how depleted the roster is. Thoughts?

Not a fan of that trade personally. That's a huge drop off from 8 to 33, only to land a couple of early 3rd's this year. If it were a 2023 1st, then maybe. 

If we trade down, Pittsburgh could be a good spot at 20. 20, 2nd this year, and a 2nd next year. 

Some smoke that the Falcons are high on Drake London. That does not surprise me one bit. I've felt if the Falcons went WR in the first, whether it be at 8 or after trading down, Jameson Williams or London made the most sense. 

Hoping Kayvon falls to 8. Best player in the draft and yes, I'm bias beyond belief. 

5 minutes ago, swoosh said:

Not a fan of that trade personally. That's a huge drop off from 8 to 33, only to land a couple of early 3rd's this year. If it were a 2023 1st, then maybe. 

If we trade down, Pittsburgh could be a good spot at 20. 20, 2nd this year, and a 2nd next year. 

My logic on that is this draft has easy 2nd round talent available in the early 3rd. 

5 minutes ago, DM316 said:

My logic on that is this draft has easy 2nd round talent available in the early 3rd. 

Makes sense. I guess from a value chart standpoint, it does add up. For it to be equal, that 2nd next year would be valued at #58th overall this year. So fair, I would just be opposed to dropping down that far when we already have an additional 2nd and 3rd this year.

I think the 12-20 range would be ideal, allowing us to pick up an additional 2nd this year and an extra pick next year (depending on how far the drop is), while still landing a really good player in the 1st. 

JMO though. There seems to be a lot of teams wanting to trade down this year, with not a ton of interest in teams moving up. 

13 minutes ago, DM316 said:

Read the same, I'd hate a receiver there and hate London there even more. If we did take a WR at 8 Williams would be it.

I'm so torn on London. Separation concerns are worrisome, but after years of redzone issues I can't help but get excited about London's abilities there. If London is the next coming of Mike Evans, that's worth a top 10 pick. I'm just not sure if London will be able to dominate NFL CB's like he did Pac 12 CB's. 

Williams would be my first choice at WR as well. 

Well I just got the Pitt trade 8, 82 ---> 20, 52, 84 and next year's 2nd from PIT. If the board shook out like this I'd be all for it.

20. Jermaine Johnson

43. David Ojabo

52. Alec Pierce

58. John Metchie III

74. Kenneth Walker III

84. David Bell

114. Darrian Kinnard 

151. Mykael Wright

190. Josh Paschal

213. Josh Jobe

Edited by DM316
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, DM316 said:

Well I just got the Pitt trade 8, 82 ---> 20, 52, 84 and next year's 2nd from PIT. If the board shook out like this I'd be all for it.

20. Jermaine Johnson

43. David Ojabo

52. Alec Pierce

58. John Metchie III

74. Kenneth Walker III

84. David Bell

114. Darrian Kinnard 

151. Mykael Wright

190. Josh Paschal

213. Josh Jobe

Filthy. Love all those guys. I'm iffy on Johnson at 8 just because I think he lacks the burst to be an alpha pass rusher but he'd still be an upgrade over what we have. At 20 though, that's good value. His floor is higher than most due to his ability to set the edge against the run. Ultimately, I think he ends up going top 10. 

1 minute ago, swoosh said:

Filthy. Love all those guys. I'm iffy on Johnson at 8 just because I think he lacks the burst to be an alpha pass rusher but he'd still be an upgrade over what we have. At 20 though, that's good value. His floor is higher than most due to his ability to set the edge against the run. Ultimately, I think he ends up going top 10. 

I really wouldn't be opposed to doubling up at edge early, if it happened like that you don't have all your eggs in one basket getting Ojabo too but if they both Boom .... sheesh.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, swoosh said:

I'm so torn on London. Separation concerns are worrisome, but after years of redzone issues I can't help but get excited about London's abilities there. If London is the next coming of Mike Evans, that's worth a top 10 pick. I'm just not sure if London will be able to dominate NFL CB's like he did Pac 12 CB's. 

Williams would be my first choice at WR as well. 

I'd even prefer a trade down for Burks over London.