General Draft Thread

swoosh

Tannehill’s replacement just got drafted …. the guy we should have picked. I actually wanted Travis Jones at that point but if you’re going QB in 3 why not roll the dice on Willis’ upside? Andersen is boom or bust, liked Muma better.

8 minutes ago, DM316 said:

Tannehill’s replacement just got drafted …. the guy we should have picked. I actually wanted Travis Jones at that point but if you’re going QB in 3 why not roll the dice on Willis’ upside? Andersen is boom or bust, liked Muma better.

Travis Jones was a massive steal in the 3rd. Ravens missed out on Jordan Davis in the 1st, but I'd take Jones in the 3rd all day long over Davis in the first. 

Terry and company killed it IMO, managing to address major needs while sticking to BPA. Top to bottom, you have guys who are going to contribute early on. Arguably most importantly, it's easy to see this staff has a clear vision and team identity in mind. One of my favorite Falcons drafts in recent memory, although it is certainly a little easier when you have a couple of additional day two picks. 

London and Ebiketie will compete for OROY and DROY respectively.

Anderson is a freak athlete who should get some PT early and will have a chance to fill a hole in a year or two. Evans is only signed to a one year deal and I wouldn't be surprised to see Deion Jones get moved/walk.

The staff had their pick of the litter with the QBs and felt Ridder was their guy. I preferred Willis just from the highest ceiling standpoint, but we also don't get the chance to see these guys up close and talk with them. Ridder's maturity and mental makeup are huge pluses. Even if he doesn't pan out, it's low risk in the third. Mariota and Ridder will be a good pair. 

Malone brings some much needed juice to the pass rush. Like that we invested two day two picks there and let the board fall how it did. I'm much happier coming away with Ebiketie and Malone in the 2nd and 3rd than forcing something that wasn't there in the 1st.

Allgeier is a bruiser and should get PT early. Nice complement to Patterson. I wonder if Davis gets cut. 

Shaffer is experienced and a mauler in the run game, like the pick there in the 6th round. Likely depth early on which was needed on the OL, but could even compete for a starting position in a couple of years. And if they don't add anyone in FA, he could even push Mayfield in year one. 

Wrapped it up with another Georgia product in FitzPatrick who likely gets a lot of PT in year one as a blocking TE. Can't go wrong there. Lee Smith probably doesn't get brought back now.

Also, is it weird to say that maybe, just maybe the Falcons have started to form an identity? Like, even though I didn't want London at 8, he was the obvious Falcons WR prospect. Then look at the OLBs we got in 2 and 3 and they both feel like what we hope the defense will look like on the outside. Throw in a freaky athlete who can be very multiple (RB, LB, ST, and as soon as he was drafted I was like, Vrabel in some sub packages!)

A QB fell into our laps, by no means does that mean we won't draft one next year, but could fortune be on our side?

Day 3 kinda felt stupid in terms of nothing special, but an angry offensive lineman and a TE who can't catch a cold but should be able to block pretty well, kinda nice to know, you're coming in here to be a blocker and no one is ever going to cover you, so maybe you'll find a catch or two along the way.

19 hours ago, DM316 said:

Justyn Ross and Mykael Wright, the UDFA's that got away .....

Ross might actually die playing football. That’s a hard pass from me and most of the NFL. Wright I dunno about but maybe we missed something there. 

Wright got hurt by his measurables. Only 5-10, 173 pounds and ran a 4.57 40. He's more quick than fast and plays bigger than his size indicates. I think he could have similar success as Troy Hill who went undrafted but has hung around the league.

On 4/30/2022 at 5:06 PM, swoosh said:

Terry and company killed it IMO, managing to address major needs while sticking to BPA. Top to bottom, you have guys who are going to contribute early on. Arguably most importantly, it's easy to see this staff has a clear vision and team identity in mind. One of my favorite Falcons drafts in recent memory, although it is certainly a little easier when you have a couple of additional day two picks. 

London and Ebiketie will compete for OROY and DROY respectively.

Anderson is a freak athlete who should get some PT early and will have a chance to fill a hole in a year or two. Evans is only signed to a one year deal and I wouldn't be surprised to see Deion Jones get moved/walk.

The staff had their pick of the litter with the QBs and felt Ridder was their guy. I preferred Willis just from the highest ceiling standpoint, but we also don't get the chance to see these guys up close and talk with them. Ridder's maturity and mental makeup are huge pluses. Even if he doesn't pan out, it's low risk in the third. Mariota and Ridder will be a good pair. 

Malone brings some much needed juice to the pass rush. Like that we invested two day two picks there and let the board fall how it did. I'm much happier coming away with Ebiketie and Malone in the 2nd and 3rd than forcing something that wasn't there in the 1st.

Allgeier is a bruiser and should get PT early. Nice complement to Patterson. I wonder if Davis gets cut. 

Shaffer is experienced and a mauler in the run game, like the pick there in the 6th round. Likely depth early on which was needed on the OL, but could even compete for a starting position in a couple of years. And if they don't add anyone in FA, he could even push Mayfield in year one. 

Wrapped it up with another Georgia product in FitzPatrick who likely gets a lot of PT in year one as a blocking TE. Can't go wrong there. Lee Smith probably doesn't get brought back now.

I still would have rather had Willis but after watching Fontenot's interview with Florio I get the Ridder pick (still think no QB and keep stacking the roster would've been better but it's done). They are expecting a QB competition, and Ridder is ready to come in and challenge where Willis isn't. I would guess the logic is he's more polished so they'll have a gauge on if they potentially have a long term starter by the end of the year like Philly did with Hurts. We'll surely be picking high next year so if not, Young/Stroud it is. At a minimum, Willis needs a year probably 2 before he can start so it wasn't worth a 3rd only to turn around and take one high next year. We've been spoiled with good QB play for the better part of 20 years, I don't think Blank wanted to wait 2 years to find out on Willis. If anything, I can give credit that the pick was calculated.

I think if you’re picking a backup QB late in round 3 that’s a good spot and honestly I kinda expect Ridder to be that long term backup QB because he’s always going to be ready but may never push past that skill cap. But who knows, could be totally some one who comes in and hits. Everyone expecting a Prescott level of show up from this kid and I think that’s too much expectation.  

5 minutes ago, iloxygenil said:

I think if you’re picking a backup QB late in round 3 that’s a good spot and honestly I kinda expect Ridder to be that long term backup QB because he’s always going to be ready but may never push past that skill cap. But who knows, could be totally some one who comes in and hits. Everyone expecting a Prescott level of show up from this kid and I think that’s too much expectation.  

Agreed, but like you said who knows. No one predicted Dak to be who he was (also didn't have the expectation like you said). I think if he can't unseat Mariota at some point, that's a sign. It would be encouraging to see him come out of camp as QB1.