• Christian Harris | LB | Alabama
    • Roger McCreary | CB | Auburn
    • Travis Jones | DL | Connecticut
    • Trey McBride | TE | Colorado St.
    • Jalyn Armour-Davis | CB | Alabama
    • Tariq Woolen | CB | UTSA
    • John Metchie III | WR | Alabama

3 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Wouldn't you think he could take that step back, people know the loss of talent, and he would still be #1? 

I think Perception matter before Senior Bowl Malik Willis was being Questions as a day 2 or 3 pick after the Ole Miss game but one good week has him #1 on most boards.So if you go into the season expecting to see Howell take another step forward and he stumbled you knock him more for the same stumble you get from someone like Pickett who you didn't expect to have a great season.

Also biggest knock I've seen from most TV people on Howell is UNC runs to much RPO offense and they woried how he adjust which is a Liget concern which makes him a end of 1st 2nd round QB tome,but also think the NFL is running a lot more RPO stuff lately too.

• Like 1

John Keim says R  R is always saying they need to protect Wentz or give him dynamic playmakers. If we can't get one we need to get the other ... HHHHHHHHHHHMMMMMMMMM , Gonna jump up and draft a top Tackle ! Oops forgot this thread is round two .😵

Edited by RSkinGM

Hall and Howell. Hall is a guy who again has elite level talent ran behind a OL that doesn’t have elite level prospects with suspect QB play. This guy is a monster. Howell is my backup because I like every tool he has. I think he’s a lot better then what Mac Brown puts on guys plates in college. I think he has the skills and room to grow. I think having Duece here as well gives him a comfort level as well and pairing college teammates I think is a underrated trait.

So I think I would be a little bummed if we didn't land either a MLB or a WR in the first or second round. An offensive weapon like Breece Hall might make me feel a little less bummed out though. He's not my highest ranked guy on the board but he's up there (that would be Trey McBride) Since Trey McBride is not gathering any momentum I'll vote him second. Like McKnight said, I'm not sure I understand grabbing Samuel Howell here with this regime. He's not a BPA here and like E16ball has said QBs in the second round and later rarely work out. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, lavar703 said:

I think those factors are sorta out of his hands though. You simply can't lose everyone of your skill position guys and think it won't have an effect. It did but even still he had a good year. He's a better QB than Malik Willis. How that's even debatable is beyond me? 

I think he's better as well.

As an aside though (and I'm not sure if the Reddit post I saw is fake) but the post listed the Wonderlic scores for the QBs and according to that post, he got a 15 (which was the lowest of all QBs).

19 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

Wouldn't you think he could take that step back, people know the loss of talent, and he would still be #1? 

This is my thought. I was thinking Howell might see a Herbert type path to the draft — top guy coming into the season, somewhat disappointing year that drops him down the board, but then a return to the film and the rest of the pre-draft process moved him back up to a lofty spot in the rankings. Folks got to meet with and learn about him, and that obviously put them at ease with the reason for the relative struggles of the last season. 

That bounce back doesn’t seem to be coming for Howell. In fact, the opposite seems to be happening, in that he’s dropping further and getting passed by even more guys (Ridder, in particular).

I don’t know what the deal is with him. I do find him somewhat less appealing on film than Pickett or Willis, but I find it hard to believe that he’s dropping into a tier below Corral and especially Ridder. It almost feels like Treylon Burks, who I think should be in the same breath with the top 4 WRs but is clearly dropping rather than rising to join them. 

There’s talk about Burks being overweight for the draft process and then he posts the very low Wonderlic score. It makes me believe that teams are concerned about his mental makeup and dedication. I feel as though maybe there’s something similar going on with Howell. Not that he doesn’t care or isn’t dedicated — but that there’s something there that is turning teams off. There was talk that he was very quiet in his interviews and basically just repeating some catchphrases about being a Christian and only wanting to win, maybe it’s a personality thing on top of the other issues?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

I think he's better as well.

As an aside though (and I'm not sure if the Reddit post I saw is fake) but the post listed the Wonderlic scores for the QBs and according to that post, he got a 15 (which was the lowest of all QBs).

I think that was Corral who had the 15. Howell and Willis were toward the top of the heap (34 and 32, respectively). 

If we’re talking about who’s better right now, I think most would agree it’s Howell. But Sam Darnold and Baker Mayfield were both better than Josh Allen when that draft happened, and he is clearly in a different stratosphere now. Superstardom at the QB position has been a largely traits-based proposition in recent years, and Willis has both the best legs and the best arm in this group. He’s got a great personality and he seems to have the mental capabilities to handle the job. He’s extremely projectable, and when we’re talking about which of these guys is a franchise face in 5 years, that matters tremendously. 

As I’ve said before, I think Pickett was the best guy out there last year. By a lot. But the (terribly kept) secret is that none of these guys is a great prospect. None of them is clean and “safe.” So like I mentioned back in December, if you’re going to be taking a risk no matter what — take the one with the highest payoff. If you’re offered two scratch-off tickets, you may as well take the one that pays a million if you win instead of the one that pays $100k. Willis is the only one that could one day stand toe-to-toe, physically, with the guys like Mahomes, Allen, Herbert, Watson, Lamar, Lawrence, etc. Which is why he’s the one to dream on, even if he also needs the most work.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, e16bball said:

I think that was Corral who had the 15. Howell and Willis were toward the top of the heap (34 and 32, respectively). 

If we’re talking about who’s better right now, I think most would agree it’s Howell. But Sam Darnold and Baker Mayfield were both better than Josh Allen when that draft happened, and he is clearly in a different stratosphere now. Superstardom at the QB position has been a largely traits-based proposition in recent years, and Willis has both the best legs and the best arm in this group. He’s got a great personality and he seems to have the mental capabilities to handle the job. He’s extremely projectable, and when we’re talking about which of these guys is a franchise face in 5 years, that matters tremendously. 

As I’ve said before, I think Pickett was the best guy out there last year. By a lot. But the (terribly kept) secret is that none of these guys is a great prospect. None of them is clean and “safe.” So like I mentioned back in December, if you’re going to be taking a risk no matter what — take the one with the highest payoff. If you’re offered two scratch-off tickets, you may as well take the one that pays a million if you win instead of the one that pays $100k. Willis is the only one that could one day stand toe-to-toe, physically, with the guys like Mahomes, Allen, Herbert, Watson, Lamar, Lawrence, etc. Which is why he’s the one to dream on, even if he also needs the most work.

Darnit! You're right.