WAS Not Expected to Offer Daron Payne Extension

e16bball

“The Commanders are not expected to offer Payne a contract extension, multiple sources tell The Athletic, meaning the 2018 first-round pick and four-year starter would potentially play out the final year of his rookie contract and enter free agency in 2023.”

From today’s mailbag from Ben Standig at The Athletic

This is…deeply frustrating news. 

On one hand, great. Paying Payne some $18M per year never should have been a consideration for them, especially after they already gave that kind of money to Allen. He’s a very good player, but you just can’t prioritize DTs who don’t consistently rush the passer in today’s NFL. Devoting that money to Payne hinders their ability to pay guys like McLaurin, Sweat, Young, even Curl — guys who affect the passing portion of the game far more than Payne does. They’re wise not to want to pay him.

With that said…

How in the ever-loving hell do you let two guys like Ioannidis and Settle out of the organization if you’re not planning to keep Payne long-term? And how in the ever-loving hell ARE YOU DOING THIS AGAIN WHERE YOU JUST LET GUYS PLAY OUT THEIR CONTRACT AND WALK?? How did you not trade him a couple months ago? Are we that obsessed with 2022 success that we’re going to let another good player stick around as a lame duck to try to milk one more season out of them, rather than getting value for them in trade preemptively?

• Like 4

The one thing I’m hoping here is that this is just a “lying season” leak, where they want to make sure that anyone interested in Jordan Davis knows that we may be a threat to take him — whether that’s with the intention of getting a trade for ourselves or just trying to get someone to move ahead of us and help another player drop to us.

I could see a scenario where they are trying to game BAL or PHI into moving up with NYJ to get the big man, thus ensuring that a big threat to take a WR ahead of us is removed.

• Like 1

Honestly I'm not too upset if this is true. I like Payne, think he is a heck of a player, but I thought they should have persued a trade after him and Jon Allen got into it. I would have kept Matt I and shipped off Daron Payne to the highest bidder. 

I just hope he chases money and doesnt choose a division rival to "get back at us" because he is a good player. 

If it's true, we have no intentions in keeping him.

Then we need to look at possibly drafting Jordan Davis & trading Payne this draft.

Payne should fetch a nice return. Specially, considering after DT Jordan Davis is off the board?

The cupboard rubs dry. I don't even know what player after Davis is on the board in the draft.

Payne could fetch a late 1st-early 2nd for sure.

Right in the area where the Chiefs & Packers pick & their 2x 1st Rd selections 

Plus, I would rather lose Payne, than Sweat.

If I had to choose 

It's the Settle one that bothers me, not the Greek who's play slipped since the transition back to 4-3. Settle would have been ideal to extend as our main rotational piece with a chance to start after Payne was gone. It made too much sense. Probably why we didn't do it. 

• Like 2

Just now, MikeT14 said:

It's the Settle one that bothers me, not the Greek who's play slipped since the transition back to 4-3. Settle would have been ideal to extend as our main rotational piece with a chance to start after Payne was gone. It made too much sense. Probably why we didn't do it. 

100% by all accounts Settle was loved in the locker and a good Piece on the field for as cheap as he signed would thin you lock him in the look at deals for Payne on the trade market

• Like 1