WAS Not Expected to Offer Daron Payne Extension

e16bball

If their smart, they won't take anything less than a 2nd Rd pick for Payne 

I'd rather have Payne this yr & get a compensatory 3rd, than trade him for just a 3rd. Just my .02.

I'd prefer one of GB or KC 1sts however.

Think I'm crazy...?

He has 14.5 sacks and 22 TFL in 4 seasons. That is pretty frikin good for a 1T. He has been by far the most productive DT from the 2018 draft. And it aint close. 

5 minutes ago, aceinthehouse said:

If their smart, they won't take anything less than a 2nd Rd pick for Payne 

I'd rather have Payne this yr & get a compensatory 3rd, than trade him for just a 3rd. Just my .02.

I'd prefer one of GB or KC 1sts however.

Think I'm crazy...?

He has 14.5 sacks and 22 TFL in 4 seasons. That is pretty frikin good for a 1T. He has been by far the most productive DT from the 2018 draft. And it aint close. 

I mean he’s I real impact player we aren’t over valuing this guy!!! This guy is a first round player. He’s one of the best at what he does. I just hate we aren’t going to be a team that gets creative to see this DL together for the long haul. The saints legit have more cap then us right now after starting at minus 63 million. So I’m sorry I’d get creative and pay this defense and find my rookie next year. I’d prefer us trade him for a future one to a lower level team then for a 2 this year. If I have to lose Payne I want my ammo for this next class of QB’s!!

5 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Two more years of these morons running this team. Two more years. 

One has to wonder...

If the user members of football future were given 1 season to run the Washington football operations...

I'm talking FA, Draft, the whole works.

How much Worse would we do?

And if we actually improved the team with success?

Would that be telling of how smart we all are in football knowledge?

Or very telling of how bad this team is being ran?

7 minutes ago, aceinthehouse said:

One has to wonder...

If the user members of football future were given 1 season to run the Washington football operations...

I'm talking FA, Draft, the whole works.

How much Worse would we do?

And if we actually improved the team with success?

Would that be telling of how smart we all are in football knowledge?

Or very telling of how bad this team is being ran?

I always like to THINK that we would do better, but there's a lot of politics that go on, etc. Players have to choose to accept our offers, trade downs have to exist, etc. Could we do better? Sure. Could we argue till our face is blue too and miss out or mess up? Absolutely. I don't think any of us think this is easy being armchair guys, but I also don't think a lot of us realize how much harder it probably is too. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I always like to THINK that we would do better, but there's a lot of politics that go on, etc. Players have to choose to accept our offers, trade downs have to exist, etc. Could we do better? Sure. Could we argue till our face is blue too and miss out or mess up? Absolutely. I don't think any of us think this is easy being armchair guys, but I also don't think a lot of us realize how much harder it probably is too. 

Yea, I hear ya.

But you know what? We would be smart enough here, to put certain people in charge of what their good at & let them do their thing.

Diversify, if you will.

Stay in good communication.

Hell, at least we vote on decisions.

I bet dollars to donuts...Rivera is trying to do everything. 

And the communication is not very good.

At least, that's my assumption on the outside looking in.

4 hours ago, e16bball said:

How in the ever-loving hell do you let two guys like Ioannidis and Settle out of the organization if you’re not planning to keep Payne long-term? And how in the ever-loving hell ARE YOU DOING THIS AGAIN WHERE YOU JUST LET GUYS PLAY OUT THEIR CONTRACT AND WALK?? How did you not trade him a couple months ago? Are we that obsessed with 2022 success that we’re going to let another good player stick around as a lame duck to try to milk one more season out of them, rather than getting value for them in trade preemptively?

+1000

40 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

This is my thought. 

Obviously these guys collectively know a massive amount about football and about evaluating these players. With Rivera being an unusual sort of bridge between the coaching staff and FO, they also have the added benefit of knowing what kind of fit they’re looking for to run the schemes they’d like to implement. I have no doubt that they are better at evaluating players and trying to piece together a football team than we would be (having no experience in ever having done so). As you mention, there are tons of real-life practical factors that they have to negotiate that we never even hear about or consider.

But they’re certainly not infallible. And I do think there’s a debilitating sort of groupthink in this current braintrust that causes them to be a little inefficient and sometimes downright silly. That whole “let’s not make offers to our FAs and allow them to hit the market, so we can then negotiate off the deals they get elsewhere” plan was absolutely inane. But I guess you can see how in an echo chamber like that, they might be able to convince themselves that it was a good plan. 

I think this FO struggles a little bit with long-term planning/decision-making. That’s probably partly due to HC Rivera running the show, and also probably partly due to working for a demanding ******* who you’re trying to keep happy. I think they make their worst decisions when they’re focusing on “right now” and lose sight of the future. You have to be willing to get worse tomorrow in order to be better next year. And while Rivera has been better at that than some HC/GM types, he’s also not great at it. 

• Like 2

Well, if I was running this team & calling every **** with people doing what I say.

I would have attempted trading Ionitus, before releasing him. I do believe he had to go with his age & injury history vs the others on the team. And I was a big fan.

Settles would still be here. I would have given him a deal as good a Buffalo. Probably would have tried for 3 or 4, instead of just 2.

We would ALREADY have our #2 Wr on the team, instead of hoping we will get a good WR in the Draft.

ME...I'm a diehard Julio Jones fan. He just turned 33 in February, but he would be here. Probably would have signed him to a 2-yr deal with the major portion hitting in 2023 to keep the 22' cap down.

McLaurin tells me what he wants years & money wise & I pay him. He's the best & cornerstone player imo, on this team. His deal would already be done.

Gibson would be on the trade block. I like him, but he fumbles too much. 

Flowers would be back on a cheaper/modest deal. But it would have to be cap friendly.

He's huge & knows the system & has played well at guard.

CB Willie Jackson would be gone. Dude sucks...he also would be on the trade block.

I don't blame them for letting Scherff walk. I liked him a lot. We won when he was playing & lost when he was not.

But I'm not paying him LT money, when he was as injured as he was. Had he had a perfect bill of health. Then Yes!

But he didn't. I don't blame the FO on letting him go. Been nice to have got something in return for him than just a 3rd compensatory pick, though.

Edited by aceinthehouse

5 hours ago, e16bball said:

“The Commanders are not expected to offer Payne a contract extension, multiple sources tell The Athletic, meaning the 2018 first-round pick and four-year starter would potentially play out the final year of his rookie contract and enter free agency in 2023.”

From today’s mailbag from Ben Standig at The Athletic

This is…deeply frustrating news. 

On one hand, great. Paying Payne some $18M per year never should have been a consideration for them, especially after they already gave that kind of money to Allen. He’s a very good player, but you just can’t prioritize DTs who don’t consistently rush the passer in today’s NFL. Devoting that money to Payne hinders their ability to pay guys like McLaurin, Sweat, Young, even Curl — guys who affect the passing portion of the game far more than Payne does. They’re wise not to want to pay him.

With that said…

How in the ever-loving hell do you let two guys like Ioannidis and Settle out of the organization if you’re not planning to keep Payne long-term? And how in the ever-loving hell ARE YOU DOING THIS AGAIN WHERE YOU JUST LET GUYS PLAY OUT THEIR CONTRACT AND WALK?? How did you not trade him a couple months ago? Are we that obsessed with 2022 success that we’re going to let another good player stick around as a lame duck to try to milk one more season out of them, rather than getting value for them in trade preemptively?

Yes. You seem new here.

• Like 1

I feel like there's a lot more to this story than just his play. The sideline fight with Jonathan Allen still lingers and who knows how they are dealing with that internally. Somebody has to be the scapegoat for last year's defensive collapse. So it would be nice if we could get a draft pick for Payne but now his value has tanked. An early third rounder sounds about right. So with this news, how does it affect us at #11? DT Jordan Davis could arguably be the BPA. Maybe they think they can upgrade the DT position and add a draft pick by trading Da'Ron. I'm trying to follow this Front Office's logic and well its not easy. I do like Jordan Davis a lot however. 

I mean we’ve constantly talked about how we can’t afford them like we have a ton of guys to pay. Every contender is out here dropping huge deal after huge deal and we can’t even sign cornerstones on top of each other to build a roster to get to a level to compete with these teams because we refuse to pay these players and structure them like the competitive teams are doing.

You drafted these guys they are currently here earning this money then pay them or you trade them because your getting maximum value. Like that’s the only two options. You don’t play the comp game with a player of this level you maximize return or you pay him because he is truely pivotal. People talked about how we can’t resign this DL but they didn’t even keep the depth which meant you damn sure pay your top guys!!! I’m seriously going to write these idiots a frigen how to manage football assets for dummies book because they clearly are lost!!!

They just said their plans changed when they took on Wentz’s deal?!?! Like y’all were going after Russ!!! What did y’all actually plan on doing if you got him because he wasn’t cheaper!!! Like I don’t think these people actually think people are intelligent enough but the truth is they really are just out of their minds. How in the world do you come out and say Terry and Payne are our priority. Then in a few months say be patient and then we’re just gonna let a key true impact player walk for nothing a year after losing a All pro for nothing!?!?!? These guys are out here playing checkers in a damn chess tournament

• Like 3

2 hours ago, taylor made said:

I feel like there's a lot more to this story than just his play. The sideline fight with Jonathan Allen still lingers and who knows how they are dealing with that internally. Somebody has to be the scapegoat for last year's defensive collapse. So it would be nice if we could get a draft pick for Payne but now his value has tanked. An early third rounder sounds about right. So with this news, how does it affect us at #11? DT Jordan Davis could arguably be the BPA. Maybe they think they can upgrade the DT position and add a draft pick by trading Da'Ron. I'm trying to follow this Front Office's logic and well its not easy. I do like Jordan Davis a lot however. 

How has his value tanked? Like this is def Washington trauma!!! This guy is a beast he’s missed no time like his number speak for themselves like his value is not tanked!!! Odell fought Norman hit a field goal net with his face constantly was tripping on teammates publicly like good players get returns. This guy hasn’t done half of that. If we Trent Williams this I will absolutely lose my mind

• Like 1