WAS Not Expected to Offer Daron Payne Extension

e16bball

18 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

I mean we’ve constantly talked about how we can’t afford them like we have a ton of guys to pay. Every contender is out here dropping huge deal after huge deal and we can’t even sign cornerstones on top of each other to build a roster to get to a level to compete with these teams because we refuse to pay these players and structure them like the competitive teams are doing.

You drafted these guys they are currently here earning this money then pay them or you trade them because your getting maximum value. Like that’s the only two options. You don’t play the comp game with a player of this level you maximize return or you pay him because he is truely pivotal. People talked about how we can’t resign this DL but they didn’t even keep the depth which meant you damn sure pay your top guys!!! I’m seriously going to write these idiots a frigen how to manage football assets for dummies book because they clearly are lost!!!

They just said their plans changed when they took on Wentz’s deal?!?! Like y’all were going after Russ!!! What did y’all actually plan on doing if you got him because he wasn’t cheaper!!! Like I don’t think these people actually think people are intelligent enough but the truth is they really are just out of their minds. How in the world do you come out and say Terry and Payne are our priority. Then in a few months say be patient and then we’re just gonna let a key true impact player walk for nothing a year after losing a All pro for nothing!?!?!? These guys are out here playing checkers in a damn chess tournament

Don’t you worry, Star Lotuleilei will replace him. 

Couple of points I'd like to make here: 

- This front office is consistent on not spending a lot of cap space on non premium positions. Payne is pretty much just a run stuffing DT which are easy to find. 

- This front office didn't draft Daron Payne. 

- It's possible he doesn't have a lot of trade value around the league because he doesn't provide much pass rush. 

- You likely can't extend the entire defensive line.  If you were to pick who to extend, it would be Allen, Sweat and likely Young. 

- If he has a huge year this year we can always tag him. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Couple of points I'd like to make here: 

- This front office is consistent on not spending a lot of cap space on non premium positions. Payne is pretty much just a run stuffing DT which are easy to find. 

- This front office didn't draft Daron Payne. 

- It's possible he doesn't have a lot of trade value around the league because he doesn't provide much pass rush. 

- You likely can't extend the entire defensive line.  If you were to pick who to extend, it would be Allen, Sweat and likely Young. 

- If he has a huge year this year we can always tag him. 

All fair points. 

But it sounds awfully similar to the logic employed with Scherff. And Cousins. Which ended up badly, and which seem to be a pretty good model for where this one is headed. I guess next year we can sit out another entire FA market to protect the 100th pick in the 2024 draft that we’ll get as our “return” for a very good 25-year-old DT?

And more importantly, it really doesn’t explain how a team intending to let Payne walk decided the right move was to let Settle also walk and to force Ioannidis out. We had arguably the best interior DL group in the sport, and now we have Jonathan Allen. That’s malpractice. I’m willing to wait and see how it plays out, but their “plan” appears to be creating more holes than it’s filling.  

15 minutes ago, e16bball said:

All fair points. 

But it sounds awfully similar to the logic employed with Scherff. And Cousins. Which ended up badly, and which seem to be a pretty good model for where this one is headed. I guess next year we can sit out another entire FA market to protect the 100th pick in the 2024 draft that we’ll get as our “return” for a very good 25-year-old DT?

And more importantly, it really doesn’t explain how a team intending to let Payne walk decided the right move was to let Settle also walk and to force Ioannidis out. We had arguably the best interior DL group in the sport, and now we have Jonathan Allen. That’s malpractice. I’m willing to wait and see how it plays out, but their “plan” appears to be creating more holes than it’s filling.  

I think that’s a different conversation though.  This news to not extend him in a nutshell is not a bad decision.  What you’re referring to is what to do after that decision and I agree with you there.

Not gonna lie ..

I'm gonna be pretty pissed if we draft DT Jordan Davis @11, just so he can replace Deron Payne who were letting walk after this yr.

Not because Jordan Davis won't be a beast. But it's addition after subtraction. There's no real improvement of the team.

it's like letting Terry McLaurin walk, then selecting Wilson.

or Travon Walker, but letting Sweat walk. 

Are we that inept in trading players for draft picks? Are they that neglegent or stupid. Or just lazy? 

Now if they trade Payne for a 1st Rd pick & take Davis @11 & land say WR Burks with the other?

Then I'll be good. But damn....

10 minutes ago, offbyone said:

So when Payne has a really good year, what is the over under that Rivera tags him next season and ends up figuring out how to spend more money than an extension would have cost?

Bingo...

He'll end up with 10 sacks+ monster yr. All pro.

Then the coaches we'll be dumbfounded on why they didn't offer him a deal.

Then, we'll either franchise tag him, or he walks for a compensatory 3rd rounder.

Just like we do....we know the drill.

1 hour ago, aceinthehouse said:

Bingo...

He'll end up with 10 sacks+ monster yr. All pro.

Then the coaches we'll be dumbfounded on why they didn't offer him a deal.

Then, we'll either franchise tag him, or he walks for a compensatory 3rd rounder.

Just like we do....we know the drill.

You would think they would of learned from cousins and Scherref by now that if we franchise Payne after a monster year (if he has one) then we better find a trade partner for him. If he some how makes the pro bowl he will be 25-26 going into the following year. That’s a 1st rounder for him all day if he can put up the numbers and get those accolades

great year plus his age should land us a 1st but we will find a way to botch it

Just now, LoganF89 said:

You would think they would of learned from cousins and Scherref by now that if we franchise Payne after a monster year (if he has one) then we better find a trade partner for him. If he some how makes the pro bowl he will be 25-26 going into the following year. That’s a 1st rounder for him all day if he can put up the numbers and get those accolades

great year plus his age should land us a 1st but we will find a way to botch it

I hate to admit it, but this would be a good draft to trade him, if they think can't keep him.

Might even be able to sniff out a 1st rounder from team, if they want a DT bad.

With 8 teams with 2x 1sts, maybe one bites. 

It would also put DT Jordan Davis in play & another 1st rounder for a different position.

But if we didn't get Jordan Davis, we'd have to draft a DT somewhere in the draft most likely. Leaving a hole at that spot with Settles & the Greek gone.

They should have kept 1 of them.

19 minutes ago, aceinthehouse said:

I hate to admit it, but this would be a good draft to trade him, if they think can't keep him.

Might even be able to sniff out a 1st rounder from team, if they want a DT bad.

With 8 teams with 2x 1sts, maybe one bites. 

It would also put DT Jordan Davis in play & another 1st rounder for a different position.

But if we didn't get Jordan Davis, we'd have to draft a DT somewhere in the draft most likely. Leaving a hole at that spot with Settles & the Greek gone.

They should have kept 1 of them.

Yeah I mean honestly settle should have been resigned, I was ok with letting Greek go, hell even trading Payne along with that. But losing settle was a huge loss. Could of had him back on a cheap contract and I think he would of flourished as a starter. 

the way it looks now if we end up trading Payne then we will prob get a free agent te tread. Like star lotueleli…..

however there are a few guys I would consider like Larry ogunjobi on the cheap. He’s only 27

sheldon Richardson, brandon Williams, lineal Joseph, suh and a few other are still available but are older but maybe a 1 year cheap contract could have one on the short term

3 minutes ago, LoganF89 said:

Yeah I mean honestly settle should have been resigned, I was ok with letting Greek go, hell even trading Payne along with that. But losing settle was a huge loss. Could of had him back on a cheap contract and I think he would of flourished as a starter. 

the way it looks now if we end up trading Payne then we will prob get a free agent te tread. Like star lotueleli…..

however there are a few guys I would consider like Larry ogunjobi on the cheap. He’s only 27

sheldon Richardson, brandon Williams, lineal Joseph, suh and a few other are still available but are older but maybe a 1 year cheap contract could have one on the short term

Yea, Washington could pull it off if they wanted too. 

But if they can't get more than a 2nd rounder for Payne, then they might as well just keep him.

I would also be interested in like 2nd rounder...plus some day 3 picks.

Like, a 2nd, 5th & 6th rounder or something like that. 

15 minutes ago, aceinthehouse said:

Yea, Washington could pull it off if they wanted too. 

But if they can't get more than a 2nd rounder for Payne, then they might as well just keep him.

I would also be interested in like 2nd rounder...plus some day 3 picks.

Like, a 2nd, 5th & 6th rounder or something like that. 

Yeah I think a 2nd and 4th is where I’m at with it. I need at least a 2nd and that needs to be first half of the 2nd round, but just kills us in terms of who we trot out to replace him this year. This isn’t a year I want a D-lineman in the first two days…

I would also be ok if we held on to him and depending how the first half of the season is going deal him at the deadline. Could be a contender looking to upgrade their line during the season and if he’s having a great start to the year while we are struggling then it would make sense to flip him

Edited by LoganF89

On 4/26/2022 at 11:38 AM, Slappy Mc said:

Honestly I'm not too upset if this is true. I like Payne, think he is a heck of a player, but I thought they should have persued a trade after him and Jon Allen got into it. I would have kept Matt I and shipped off Daron Payne to the highest bidder. 

I just hope he chases money and doesnt choose a division rival to "get back at us" because he is a good player. 

I concur. If you intended to not extend Payne then why did they let Matt and Settle leave. We let some depth walk and then not extend Payne. What are they doing. Just ridiculous no wonder the attendance is down.

This is beyond ridiculous to me. As I’ve said for two years, I wouldn’t have either but, I wouldn’t have cut Ioannidis & let Settle leave in free agency. If they’re not going to re-sign Payne, retaining those 2 other DTs was a necessity. 

They should’ve traded Payne, re-signed Settle & restructured Ioannidis.