WAS Not Expected to Offer Daron Payne Extension

e16bball

On 4/28/2022 at 2:46 AM, mar29020 said:

Just feels stupid to me to draft a guy in the first round and see him go after his rookie deal. 

Especially if you’re not trading him & letting go the good depth we have behind him. It’s a real head scratcher.

On 4/26/2022 at 4:04 PM, MikeT14 said:

I always like to THINK that we would do better, but there's a lot of politics that go on, etc. Players have to choose to accept our offers, trade downs have to exist, etc. Could we do better? Sure. Could we argue till our face is blue too and miss out or mess up? Absolutely. I don't think any of us think this is easy being armchair guys, but I also don't think a lot of us realize how much harder it probably is too. 

At the same time, I would like to think that the members of FF would perform better than just lying to Ioannidis and his agent saying "oh yeah, you're our guy!" right before cutting him.

I certainly think that we would have thought through our moves beyond 2 months.

• Like 2

On 4/26/2022 at 8:21 PM, ripsean21 said:

I mean we’ve constantly talked about how we can’t afford them like we have a ton of guys to pay. Every contender is out here dropping huge deal after huge deal and we can’t even sign cornerstones on top of each other to build a roster to get to a level to compete with these teams because we refuse to pay these players and structure them like the competitive teams are doing.

You know what you do then? You plan ahead.

You either say:

1. We're going to re-sign Settle to a reasonable 3-4 year contract now with the expectation of him taking over for Payne after next year,
  2. We're going to extend/modify Ioannidis' contract to have him take over after next year, OR
  3. Hey, the best DT in this draft has fallen into our laps and would be cheap so let's take him to replace Payne in a year.

No, instead they let Settle walk, cut Ioannidis, decide not to extend Payne, and then trade down so a divisional rival can pay a pittance to trade up and select the guy to take over for an aging Fletcher Cox.

One team planned, one team did not.

10 minutes ago, Woz said:

The way this offseason has gone, I'm thinking one year, unless they get really lucky.

What are the odds Rivera gets an extension at the end of this season regardless of outcome? I'm willing to bet he does. Snyder has a lot going on and can't afford to look for a new coach. 

1 minute ago, lavar703 said:

What are the odds Rivera gets an extension at the end of this season regardless of outcome? I'm willing to bet he does. Snyder has a lot going on and can't afford to look for a new coach. 

As it stands now? Depends solely on performance in the upcoming season.

Had they taken a rookie QB (for the record, I was a Pickett guy with the backup of maybe playing for Ridder in the 2nd) instead of trading for Wentz, maybe I could have taken that bet, but going with "the veteran," immediate performance will trump protection.

15 minutes ago, Woz said:

The way this offseason has gone, I'm thinking one year, unless they get really lucky.

I doNT see this at all. With all of Snyder’s crap the fans are pretty fed up.  This was supposed to be the solution post Bruce, I can’t see the fans supporting another rebuild.  

7 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I think there’s a strong possibility.  Rivera is Snyder’s only buffer right now.

On 4/27/2022 at 9:16 AM, MKnight82 said:

I think that’s a different conversation though.  This news to not extend him in a nutshell is not a bad decision.  What you’re referring to is what to do after that decision and I agree with you there.

Except you cannot evaluate this decision in a nutshell since the previous two moves were ... you know ... previous to them deciding not forgo offering him the option.

As e16 said, they had the "just a run stuffing DT which are easy to find" in house and let him walk without trying to keep him before hitting the market.

Just now, Woz said:

Except you cannot evaluate this decision in a nutshell since the previous two moves were ... you know ... previous to them deciding not forgo offering him the option.

As e16 said, they had the "just a run stuffing DT which are easy to find" in house and let him walk without trying to keep him before hitting the market.

I’m not saying ignore the rest, and I completely agree that if they don’t plan to resign Payne he should be on the block and other moves should have been made.  My point is that the error here is that, not the decision not to resign him.

3 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

I doNT see this at all. With all of Snyder’s crap the fans are pretty fed up.  This was supposed to be the solution post Bruce, I can’t see the fans supporting another rebuild.  

What Rivera was supposed to bring was stability, wins, and turning the ship of state.

Stability has been somewhat of his control but the wins haven't really appeared and the ship of state is floundering.

If they get another 7 wins, he's probably safe for a year solely due to Snyder's repeated malfeasances. Less than that, though, and I think he's gone.

Nothing they've done this offseason has convinced me they'll get more than 7 wins and quite a bit of it makes me think its less (for the record, I do not expect Wentz to play the entire season).

1 minute ago, MKnight82 said:

I’m not saying ignore the rest, and I completely agree that if they don’t plan to resign Payne he should be on the block and other moves should have been made.  My point is that the error here is that, not the decision not to resign him.

Fair enough. My point and I think @e16bball's as well is where the hell is the forward-looking thinking? This is why I hate the coach-as-GM model. The GM should be approaching the 2022 draft with thoughts on how the roster will look in 2023 and beyond as well as this year. The coach is only concerned in the upcoming year.

The Poodles aren't doing enough to protect Ron the GM from Ron the Coach. Of course, if they weren't the Poodles, Ron wouldn't be the GM.

2 minutes ago, Woz said:

What Rivera was supposed to bring was stability, wins, and turning the ship of state.

Stability has been somewhat of his control but the wins haven't really appeared and the ship of state is floundering.

If they get another 7 wins, he's probably safe for a year solely due to Snyder's repeated malfeasances. Less than that, though, and I think he's gone.

Nothing they've done this offseason has convinced me they'll get more than 7 wins and quite a bit of it makes me think its less (for the record, I do not expect Wentz to play the entire season).

I think we’ll be competitive.  We should have a relatively easy schedule again and Wentz should be an upgrade over Heinicke.  Beyond just winning they really need Chase Young to come back strong cause this team needs a face of the franchise.

5 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:
13 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I think there’s a strong possibility.  Rivera is Snyder’s only buffer right now.

And that buffer only works if Rivera wins. After the season begins, all of the focus will be on the man in the sideline not the man in the owner's booth.