Around the NFL - 2022 edition

Forge

I may be in the minority but I was very impressed with Fields performance today. He's still late with his recognition and timing on some concepts but man, he's escapability is very underrated. His ability to just get north and accelerate past defenders is severely slept on. And when his line gives him time, he's touch and accuracy is there. Pocket awareness is still an issue but it's hard for it not to be when the opposing D-Line is living in your backfield. You can already see that having a legitimate outside threat like Claypool is going to benefit him. Today was just a small sample of the different dimensions he can bring to an offense. 

• Like 2

Packers season is over. Not only is their record in a bad spot, but Doubs had a high ankle sprain and will be down 1-2 months. Gary appears to have torn his ACL. I thought I had heard that Aaron Jones was in a walking boot yesterday as well. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Packers season is over. Not only is their record in a bad spot, but Doubs had a high ankle sprain and will be down 1-2 months. Gary appears to have torn his ACL. I thought I had heard that Aaron Jones was in a walking boot yesterday as well. 

Jeez, I knew they weren’t going to play well this year, but they imploded! 

• Like 2

This is potentially horrific news for the Bills. Like, beyond just this year if he's getting Tommy John. The number of QBs who have gotten this done is pretty small...I think Delhomme and Ben got it done, and that was pretty much that for both of them (though obviously they were both older at the time) 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Forge said:

This is potentially horrific news for the Bills. Like, beyond just this year if he's getting Tommy John. The number of QBs who have gotten this done is pretty small...I think Delhomme and Ben got it done, and that was pretty much that for both of them (though obviously they were both older at the time) 

This is will have huge ramifications in the AFC. Allen is a unique talent. Taking him out of the picture pretty much puts the Chiefs in the drivers seat, with teams like the Fins & Ravens having a puncher's chance in the playoffs. 

2 hours ago, Forge said:

Pretty sure nick mullens got Tommy John, too. I remember thinking that was a potential career ender for him.

• Like 1

Yeah Zach is looking bad, which is a shame, because one can see he has the arm to make certain throws (wish Jimmy G had that whip). But he consistently looks intimidated under pressure, and starts to panic waltz instead of pocket waltz. Now I'm just some yahoo behind a keyboard, but just watching his feet as a layman, he seems really uncomfortable (Bill always said look at the feet). I wonder if the pre-draft hype of potentially landing another Patrick Mahomes with an ability to perform well off-script just got into everyone's head too much. That's the one comparison I kept hearing. Mahomes is just a once-in-a-generation type of player though, and landing someone like that would be akin to winning the lottery. I wonder if the Jets just cut the cord with Wilson regardless how 2022 shakes out. Especially now that the defense is starting to have an open window.

I haven't watched a lot of the Jets, but things can change very quickly with regard to these things.  Week 1 through 4 everyone was talking about how bad Fields is.  Now he is the media darling.  Wilson is just two really good games away from the same thing.  

I would have to actually watch him play to evaluate whether or not I think he is developing.  I have been talking about how I thought Fields was going to get better and be pretty good all year.  It's literally the only thing I have been right about up to this point in the year, lol.

His feet do look bad.  He is turning for no reason, he back pedals way too much, and he doesn't stay in the pocket for his 2nd and 3rd read.  He needs to set his back foot, and just throw through dudes. Not worry about trying to dodge all 11 players every throw.  

Edited by Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420
  • Like 2