Around the NFL - 2022 edition

Forge

4 hours ago, DTMW78 said:

Only 2 possible outcomes for Lance imo.

1 , Purdy's injury keeps him out and give Trey a chance to show he has what it takes to run this offense.

2, Purdy's good to go and Lance is the backup.

3. Lance gets almost all the reps in the spring (he will) and tears it up in TC/Pre-Season and creates a real question as to who should be starting. Then we have two capable starters going into the season and trade one of them next offseason for a premium pick. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GW21 said:

3. Lance gets almost all the reps in the spring (he will) and tears it up in TC/Pre-Season and creates a real question as to who should be starting. Then we have two capable starters going into the season and trade one of them next offseason for a premium pick. 

I have an interesting question:  Is there any way Lance could win the job in the offseason, assuming Purdy is healthy and as good as last year?

1 hour ago, Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420 said:

I have an interesting question:  Is there any way Lance could win the job in the offseason, assuming Purdy is healthy and as good as last year?

I think it all comes down to how much he’s grown upstairs this season and if it can translate to the field. 

I think one of Brock’s best qualities is his ability to read the whole field and get the ball to the right person on time, which is where I think Trey needs work.

I don’t really care who wins the job honestly, I just hope whoever loses the job shows out as well. I think we keep both this year regardless of who wins unless someone comes in with a monster offer for one of them, which I don’t expect.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, GW21 said:

I think it all comes down to how much he’s grown upstairs this season and if it can translate to the field. 

I think one of Brock’s best qualities is his ability to read the whole field and get the ball to the right person on time, which is where I think Trey needs work.

I don’t really care who wins the job honestly, I just hope whoever loses the job shows out as well. I think we keep both this year regardless of who wins unless someone comes in with a monster offer for one of them, which I don’t expect.

I think that if Lance has improved enough for it to be a competition then the starting job is his. He just has way more physical talent. It's whether he is smart enough to learn the nuances that Purdy already has.

I believe that if this happens then we will get monster offers for Lance. Can't see us being offered more than a 2nd for Purdy. It'll be a Jimmy G in NE scenario.

8 hours ago, Melbourne 9er said:

I think that if Lance has improved enough for it to be a competition then the starting job is his. He just has way more physical talent. It's whether he is smart enough to learn the nuances that Purdy already has.

I believe that if this happens then we will get monster offers for Lance. Can't see us being offered more than a 2nd for Purdy. It'll be a Jimmy G in NE scenario.

I think it is the opposite.  I don't know how good Lance is going to be, but he is starting to feel like an underwear warrior.  A guy that can throw the ball really well against air and no pressure, looks great in practice, but cannot carry the performance over to game day.  

Purdy has proven himself in football games, and I think that holds more weight than practice.  To answer my own question, I don't think Lance can win the job in the offseason.  Physical tools are over rated in today's NFL at the QB position.  You could play almost anyone over Purdy because they have the physical tools that Purdy doesn't.  Which is mostly two or three inches of height, arm strength,  and a lot of dumb stuff that doesn't matter to playing QB.

I don't think it is about smart, Lance understands, I think it comes down to his ability to operate with chaos surrounding him, and still complete the five yard bubble screen.  That is something we have to see in games.  

15 hours ago, Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420 said:

I don't think so. Not if Purdy was healthy and taking reps. I think it was Purdy's job. Even if they made it a competition, I don't think that Lance would have won it...certainly not by enough to just throw out Brock's performance in real games. 

But Lance has something of a chance with Purdy hurt depending on how long it stretches out. 

27 minutes ago, Forge said:

I don't think so. Not if Purdy was healthy and taking reps. I think it was Purdy's job. Even if they made it a competition, I don't think that Lance would have won it...certainly not by enough to just throw out Brock's performance in real games. 

But Lance has something of a chance with Purdy hurt depending on how long it stretches out. 

I think this is really the key factor. If Brock didn't get hurt, I think it would have been nearly impossible for Trey to win the job. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, adamq said:

Odd they wouldn't just give him the tag.. unless he threatened them with a hold out and they don't want the headache, I suppose.

Dumping Quon to pay Jones 40m+/yr isn't going to age well 

TBH, this is the best thing that coulda happened to Saquan.  Hugely talented player that never received any support in NY.  If we didn't already have CMC, Barkley could add a lot to this team.  Positional value has gotten out of control.  WR's are making 30 million per year, but they won't pay a top 3 RB 10.  There is a lot of value at the RB position currently.

EDIT:  At less than 15 million, what would a 1-2 punch of Barkley and CMC look like?  28-30 Million is a lot to put into the RB position, but with Purdy's contract as it is, there might be a way to swing that.  RB is not a need, but Barkley vs a 3rd rounder at 15 million might provide more of an upgrade than the other free agents compared to their draft replacements.   Then again, it is likely a couple of teams see his value and get him in the 20mil range, and this roster does have about four pretty big question marks going into next year.

Edited by Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420

12 minutes ago, jonnguy2015 said:

Unless you plan to move CMC to slot WR full-time, Barkley would be a terrible use of cap space for this team

RB's never play 21 games in a season.  There is room on the field for both of them on a lot of plays.  

If you can get a top player at his position, for the same cost as a regular player at a position of need, you might want to look at the super talented guy, then let Shanahan figure out how to use the random weapons provided. 

Let me ask ya this, would you rather have Mike McGlinchy or Saquan Barkley?

I am not saying the team should make a huge push for the guy, but it is something interesting to consider based on value.  

2 hours ago, Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420 said:

RB's never play 21 games in a season.  There is room on the field for both of them on a lot of plays.  

If you can get a top player at his position, for the same cost as a regular player at a position of need, you might want to look at the super talented guy, then let Shanahan figure out how to use the random weapons provided. 

I am not saying the team should make a huge push for the guy, but it is something interesting to consider based on value.  

I get what your saying. But between Kittle, Deebo, Ayuik, CMC, & throw in Barkley, you won't possibly get enough touches/production out of both RBs to justify having over 20 million dollars in cap space at the position.

The luxury of deploying mutiple weapons is one thing. But I don't think its the answer to put this offense into another stratosphere.

We need to take a page out of KC's book.  

After Mahomes was running for his life against TB in the Super Bowl, they made it a point to go out and protect him better.

This offense is a legit Center and above average RT away from being elite.

I understand legit RTs are going to command more than a top tier RB but if I am tryin to maneuver a way to improve the offense, it has to be to shore up the holes on the O-Line. Not add more ball carriers and pass carchers. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420 said:

I'd rather have a good DT or S than either

• Like 3