Big Ben is among the all-time greats

JLambert58

2 hours ago, August4th said:

wonder what another SB win would do for his legacy and where he would place on all-time lists

Right at the top.  Three SB victories is rarefied air.  Add that to his other stats and there aren't many who will compare.  

2 hours ago, JLambert58 said:

Right at the top.  Three SB victories is rarefied air.  Add that to his other stats and there aren't many who will compare.  

It's an interesting question and largely contingent upon how you define "right at the top".  I'd have a really hard time ever justifying calling him a top 10 QB of all time.  I think those spots are reserved for the truly elite players of a generation (e.g. Brady, Unitas, Montana).  Ben, during his career, has largely been a top 5-7 QB and has been part of some really good teams.  If you're talking about top 10 of all-time, 3 superbowls or not, I think you're looking for somebody in that 1-3 range consistently throughout their career.  But definitely a worthwhile debate

In Ben's early years, his ability to avoid/shed would be tacklers were some of the most amazing plays I had EVER seen and he did it EVERY week.  I truly believe I'd be saying the same thing with out my B&G colored lenses.  Top 10?  Depends on your methodology. 

1 hour ago, Steelers22 said:

It's an interesting question and largely contingent upon how you define "right at the top".  I'd have a really hard time ever justifying calling him a top 10 QB of all time.  I think those spots are reserved for the truly elite players of a generation (e.g. Brady, Unitas, Montana).  Ben, during his career, has largely been a top 5-7 QB and has been part of some really good teams.  If you're talking about top 10 of all-time, 3 superbowls or not, I think you're looking for somebody in that 1-3 range consistently throughout their career.  But definitely a worthwhile debate

When I say "Right at the top," I'm not saying the best ever, but I am saying he is an elite level class of QBs.  Among the best to ever play the game.  His longevity is also a consideration in any discussion of his greatness.  If he plays next year, he will be the longest tenured Steeler in franchise history.  That is something special.  

And to Chief's point, he WAS one of the most elusive pocket QBs ever in his heyday.  He pulled some big-time rabbits out of his hat.  

Archived