Melvin Gordon returns for 1 year, 5 Million

BullsandBroncos

You would have to assume the deal is heavily incetivised.

He's still a good player, and the fumbles have probably caused his reputation to plummet far lower than his body of work amongst many Broncos fans.

Melvin is a nice compliment to Javonte, plus he's going to be able to contribute right away. Being College teammates with Russ probably helped facilitate this ...

Edited by lomaxgrUK
  • Like 2

I am totally fine with it. Javonte is going to get 65% + of the workload, if I had to guess. Gordon still has value, even if the fumbles haven't exactly endeared him to the fans. As far as I'm concerned this effectively pushes RB down the draft board for 2022. Probably take a flier on a guy in R5 or later but I think this ends the earlier round speculation.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, broncos67 said:

I am totally fine with it. Javonte is going to get 65% + of the workload, if I had to guess. Gordon still has value, even if the fumbles haven't exactly endeared him to the fans. As far as I'm concerned this effectively pushes RB down the draft board for 2022. Probably take a flier on a guy in R5 or later but I think this ends the earlier round speculation.

I think this effectively pushes back the next RB draft pick to 2023. I mentioned this in the draft thread a while back, but while Spielman took something like 5 RB’s in his 10 drafts as GM (all in rounds 2-4), he never took them in back to back years. He seems to fully believe in the rookie deal RB churn, and while Paton is not Spielman, the early evidence suggests that he’ll follow a similar path. Javonte+Melvin+Boone is a fine RB unit for 2022. 

5 hours ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Per Klis, it’s $2.5M base, incentives could double it. Just fine.

2.5M is very much a great deal for a reliable backup, who can be the main guy if Javonte got hurt.

Ironically, signing MG3 now makes way more sense than it did 3 years ago - because back then, we weren't that good of a team, and the idea of spending big $ on a devalued position on a team still rebuilding (even if Elway wouldn't admit it), well, not the greatest allocation of resources.    But now, if we're a legitimate contender, you need to have viable plan B's - depth separates the contenders from pretenders.  If Javonte couldn't play, having MG3's blocking ability, his pass receiving chops, and yes, his serviceable running ability, it would be considered a smart plan B to have (the fumbles are just so poorly-timed, even in his Chargers days).

With MG3 turning 29, it's also ideal that it's a team-friendly, 1-year deal.   The cliff comes quickly at this age.  But for 2022 alone, MG3 being a stable backup, very good pass-blocking and pass-catching guy, and someone who can keep Javonte fresh, really hard to argue.    Yes, the fumbles have hurt, but we're not asking him to be the main guy, nor are we pay top-of-market $.   Ironically, if MG3 had played on another team, was equally productive (and equal flaws), there would likely be no qualms about this.   If we were hitching the wagon to him, then sure, it would raise eyebrows.  But as a backup, seems ideal, especially at backup $.

It will be interesting to see if Paton takes a Day 3 dive at RB in the draft, though - the writing's on the wall that it's a 2022-only plan.    It removes the need to get RB early, though.   Hard to argue against that, either.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...
1 hour ago, paul-mac said:

He has been waived.

What an utter waste of 5 million bucks. 

Waste of 1.7M so far - 800K left of which if he gets claimed on waivers - off books.  If he clears waivers but signs elsewhere we get about 400-450K back.   

The opportunity cost was the real L.    We went there instead of drafting another RB day 3.    Safe to say playing MG3 cost us dearly in the SEA and both LV games.