Melvin Gordon returns for 1 year, 5 Million

BullsandBroncos

Crazy that over the last 3-4 years, MG3 never bothered to fix the issue. Watching him run, it’s really obvious to me that he’s carrying the ball way too low. And now that everyone knows he has a fumbling issue, you can see defenders constantly trying to knock it out whenever he’s in traffic. Tiki Barber had a similar problem during most of his career, but finally started tucking the ball up high in his chest/armpit his last few seasons. Huge difference. 

Edited by 1234567
Edit: Barbers fumbling issues went on longer than I remembered.
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, AKRNA said:

Well, Hackett got his scapegoat for this loss. Who'll it be next week?

Accountability for thee, not for me.

Let’s look at this way - they cut Cleveland, cut Gordon and Hackett ceded play-calling. It’s slower than I’d like - and won’t be enough, barring the unforeseen, to save his job - but saying “accountability for me not for thee” is both callous and inaccurate. 

I don’t want to sound like I’m making excuses for Hackett, I’m not, and while I did like the hire, I will admit I was wrong (first time I’ve been wrong on a coach hire, in 16 years of posting here), he is slowly starting to figure it out in terms to taking charge of the roster and his own shortcomings. He was finally showing passion on the sidelines yesterday rather than looking confused while perusing his laminated game script trying to figure out what play to call.

Again, none of this matters as he’s gone on Black Monday. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Let’s look at this way - they cut Cleveland, cut Gordon and Hackett ceded play-calling. It’s slower than I’d like - and won’t be enough, barring the unforeseen, to save his job - but saying “accountability for me not for thee” is both callous and inaccurate. 

I don’t want to sound like I’m making excuses for Hackett, I’m not, and while I did like the hire, I will admit I was wrong (first time I’ve been wrong on a coach hire, in 16 years of posting here), he is slowly starting to figure it out in terms to taking charge of the roster and his own shortcomings. He was finally showing passion on the sidelines yesterday rather than looking confused while perusing his laminated game script trying to figure out what play to call.

Again, none of this matters as he’s gone on Black Monday. 

We'll have to disagree here. Anyone who would put Gordon in that spot and call his number is beyond an idiot. 

2 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

The Javonte injury is brutal in a lot of ways, including being the reason we kept Gordon another seven weeks.

Never seen a RB with worse fumble luck. They’re always so devastating. 

@1234567 made a good point about his style. Right or wrong, most of Gordons fumbles are between the hashmarks, in short yardage or goalline. He can't handle the traffic. 

He's fine as a blocking back, receiver and RB between the 20's. He just can't run in heavy traffic. Why would you ever put him in that spot?

4 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

The Javonte injury is brutal in a lot of ways, including being the reason we kept Gordon another seven weeks.

Never seen a RB with worse fumble luck. They’re always so devastating. 

3 fumbles returned for TD and 4 inside the 10 IIRC.    That’s just unreal.  

Edited by Broncofan

We were never going to be a true contender, but you could make an argument that Melvin Gordon is the single biggest reason we aren't in the playoff hunt. The timing of his fumbles is like nothing I've ever seen before.

(NOTE - that doesn't say the biggest reason we aren't a contender).

10 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

We were never going to be a true contender, but you could make an argument that Melvin Gordon is the single biggest reason we aren't in the playoff hunt. The timing of his fumbles is like nothing I've ever seen before.

Totally turned around the Vegas game 2x... first game we're driving to go up at least 13-10, if not 17-10, and we get the ball back to start the 3Q @ LV, instead we're down 17-10 (and Wilson injures his shoulder trying to make the tackle, too).     

This week, we're up 10-7, about to go up 17-7, and again....we get the ball back to start the 2H.   Instead, we get the FG blocked, and the whispers begin. 

The SEA game was an absolute crusher.   

And the worst part - Javonte wasn't used in the SEA game, it was MG3's FIRST touch in the @LV game, and again....we took MG3 to go there instead of Latavius Murray.  

Hackett deciding to use MG3 instead of Javonte @ SEA, and instead of Lat-Murray this week, such a ripple effect.   I can't really criticize using MG3 @ LV, he was there purely to spell Javonte - just typical.  

NONE of the above excuses the problems we still have on O, or Wilson's play issues, either - but if we don't have MG3 there, not only is it unlikely that we don't have the TO's, but we also don't get Wilson's shoulder tweaked to the point where he missed the Jets game, either.   And while Wilson has his issues, he's still miles ahead of Brett Rypien...so yeah.   Such a butterfly effect.

10 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Ahhh! No you couldn't.  I'm no Gordon fan but the top 1,612,014 reasons we're the worst offensive team in the league, worst by far in Denvers history are all at the coaching and FO level.

Not arguing about Gordons fumbles, they always are awful. I'm just wondering what kind of idiot would keep putting him in those situations and expect something different?

1 hour ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Melvin talking garbage about Broncos fans on his IG stories today. Imagine putting the ball down 12 times in 508 carries and yacking ANYTHING, Jesus f—-ing wept

https://instagram.com/stories/melvin/2977141280035713329?utm_source=ig_story_item_share&igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

What's kinda weird about the numbers is this year. It's not the 12 in 508 during his stay here. It's the 5 in 115 this year. A fumble every 23 touches. Was he texting or something?

4 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

What's kinda weird about the numbers is this year. It's not the 12 in 508 during his stay here. It's the 5 in 115 this year. A fumble every 23 touches. Was he texting or something?

It’s a sure sign he’s physically worn out.  He just can’t absorb contact anymore. 

4 hours ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Melvin talking garbage about Broncos fans on his IG stories today. Imagine putting the ball down 12 times in 508 carries and yacking ANYTHING, Jesus f—-ing wept

https://instagram.com/stories/melvin/2977141280035713329?utm_source=ig_story_item_share&igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Guy is a joke. I wouldn't be surprised if no one will touch him with a 10ft pole