Ward officially a bust?

Humble_Beast

“Last year we moved him to a different position. He kind of played a number of different positions. I don’t think he was quite mentally ready to understand the techniques of them all. There were three different positions he was playing. That’s a little different for a guy who hasn’t really played D-line for a while. He’s still in the learning process. If there’s an opportunity for him to get in there and play he’ll be ready.”

To give some context. This is what Reggie said when asked. Ward was very raw coming out. He went from WR to Safety to DL in college.

He was a project pick. Got nicked up in the offseason. I want to see how he's developed mentally before writing him off. He was never going to flash early. 

19 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

To give some context. This is what Reggie said when asked. Ward was very raw coming out. He went from WR to Safety to DL in college.

He was a project pick. Got nicked up in the offseason. I want to see how he's developed mentally before writing him off. He was never going to flash early. 

Finally someone in here actually addresses WHY he hasn't popped or progressed like other high picks.

55 minutes ago, NightTrainLane said:

Finally someone in here actually addresses WHY he hasn't popped or progressed like other high picks.

Be that as it may, I doubt even reggie saw Ward not even dressing for games and playing behind scrubs like Hester and Latham.  Ward hasn't made a single play in his career thus far. Project player or not, he is absolutely a bust so far. 

2 hours ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

Be that as it may, I doubt even reggie saw Ward not even dressing for games and playing behind scrubs like Hester and Latham.  Ward hasn't made a single play in his career thus far. Project player or not, he is absolutely a bust so far. 

Keep saying it. We gave the reasons why he hasn't progressed. He is a project so than that means the results are projected to be seen later in his career. Therefore he can't be a bust because he wasn't intially expected to be popping or at least they allowed for that possibility especially after he missed an off season where his progression would have benefited alot.

10 hours ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

I assume he did considering he was injured, missed training camp and fell down the depth chart. Would look different if he competed in TC and lost. He was already raw, learning. Thrown into the fire too early because of injury as a rookie. And here we are.... let's see what happens.

2 hours ago, dante9876 said:

Ev hasnt done much of anything either. If you want to call ward raw and a project, thats fine. But imo it makes him a major over reach and a bad pick. You can be a project and still show something. Ward was a bad pick. 

No different than guys like Amobi Okoye, Lawrence Guy, Margus Hunt, Jesse Williams, etc...

8 hours ago, big_palooka said:

I assume he did considering he was injured, missed training camp and fell down the depth chart. Would look different if he competed in TC and lost. He was already raw, learning. Thrown into the fire too early because of injury as a rookie. And here we are.... let's see what happens.

Sounds like a you bought Reggie's weak justification attempt for why his 2ND round pick cant even dress for games. There is no excuse for a player drafted as high as Ward to not play unless he just flat out sucks. 

Missing TC is a big deal especially for a raw player, but he has been healthy for quite awhile now, practicing with the team. And I'm sure if the coaches, who watch him everyday, had any inkling that he could help the team - he would be active. But he's not. And that says alot when you are struggling as bad as we are on the Dline. 

11 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Pretty much nails why I can't stand PFF. Eye test alone, EV has popped more than Ward ever did. You ask me who has more potential right now, and it's EV fairly easily.

How has EV popped? One highlight reel play on Conklin in game 1 that didn't even really factor into the play? The guy has done next to nothing, 0 impact plays. I said earlier in the week and last week that Vanderdoes was following Ward's arc. There's nothing at all to suggest that is untrue. And on this one I believe PFF. Ward got washed around like a dirty rag but had the occasional pressure. Vanderdoes isn't washed out like Ward but has no pass rush at all. Same guy, small shift. 

Archived