7 Round Washington Mock

MKnight82

I haven't done one of these this year and I'm kid of running out of time....

I'm going to use this 7 round mock draft, if a guy is off the board at our pick on this mock I'll assume they aren't available to select: 

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/2022-7-round-nfl-mock-draft-cummings-april/2/

You may be asking why this mock?  I googled 7 round mock and this is the first one that popped up.  

Round 1

TRADE - Washington sends 1-11 to the Saints for 1-19 & 2-49

- Saints move up for a QB, they don't want to trade 16 because they need to stay ahead of the Chargers to pick an Olineman, so they offer 19 & their 2nd to move up. The Saints are known to aggressively move up when they like someone, they moved up to get pass rusher Marcus Davenport a few years ago, in which they gave up their future 1st to move up.  They don't have a future first to offer, and although they lose a little here on the trade value chart (we get 1285 they get 1250) they don't really have anything else to offer as their only 3rd is a comp pick which isn't valued nearly as high. 

1-19 - Washington selects S/CB Daxton Hill, Michigan

- I don't get the infatuation with Kyle Hamilton, this is the guy our secondary needs.  He can play the slot or deep coverage.  If we're looking for a versatile guy for the secondary those are the traits we need. 

Round 2

2-47 - Washington selects WR George Pickens, Georgia

- He's coming off of a torn ACL and supposedly has character "red flags" but I couldn't find out any details about what those are.  The guy was a supposed Top 20 prospect in this class before he tore his ACL.  He should be fully recovered from that now and ready to play this season, as he fully worked out at the combine.  He's 6'3" and ran a 4.47.  

2-49 - Washington selects LB Troy Andersen, Montana State

- Sticking with theme of adding versatile defenders, Andersen provides a lot of flexibility at the linebacker position. He had a fantastic combine and has great size at 6'3" 243 lbs.  I think he can play any of the 3 linebacker spots, but as a rookie would like start on the outside as I'm not sure he'd be ready to read defenses after such a big jump from Montana State. With him, Holcomb and Davis we'd have one of the most athletic linebacking cores in the league. 

Round 3

- see Wentz, Carson. 

Round 4

4-113 - Washington selects DT Otito Ogbonnia, UCLa

- This is probably a little bit of a reach but I don't know if that matters in the 4th round. DT all of a sudden feels like a need and this guy at 6'4" 324 lbs is the kind of run stuffing presence we will likely need if Payne leaves. He only started one year in college so he has some upside. 

Round 5

- see longsnapper.  No seriously. 

Round 6

6-189 - Washington selects TE Lucas Krull, Pittsburgh

- TE depth, he's got the size you want at 6'6" 260 lbs.  Transferred from Florida to Pitt after getting stuck behind Kyle Pitts on FL's depth chart.  Has some upside. 

Round 7 

7-230 - Washington selects HB Keaontay Ingram, USC

- RB depth. 

7-240 - Washingotn selects OL Austin Deculus, LSU

- Good run blocker who could backup at RT or Guard.  

I'd be generally happy with that result overall. Definitely. You'd walk away with three very key rotational pieces with the first three picks, plus the PT I think Krull might sneak in. 

Round 1 after the trade - Drake London still hasn't been picked. In that situation I am still doing it. I am very high on Pickens though, so I totally get it.

Then at 2.47 you can go Jaquan Brisker, S, Penn State. To me, I like London and Brisker over Hill and Pickens, but both would be great results. I'd change to Nakobe Dean at 2.49 over Troy.

Otito would be an interesting pick. I'd sit and wait on him to see if he falls rather than take him in the 4th. Marquis Hayes, G, Oklahoma and Zach Tom, OT, Wake Forest seem like better value to me here. 

Krull would be good. I would prefer who they selected for us already in Chigoziem Okonkwo, TE, Maryland.

As for the 7ths, Declulus that late would be great. If we actually could get Bailey Zappe, QB, Western Kentucky there I'd take it probably. In fact, for what the website has in Zappe and Jobe in the 7th? That'd be pretty incredible. As far as RB, I would prefer Zamir White, RB, Georgia and Haskins, but I don't know a lot about Ingram. 

2 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Quite the reach?  By what, like 5 spots?  He's consistently mocked in the second half of the first round. 

Daxton Hill is usually mocked end of first to early second. Kyle Hamilton is much, much better than Hill so it seems odd to me to trade down and still take the same position but an inferior prospect. I'd much rather stay at 11 and take one of the top WR prospects and then take Pitre in the second who gives you a lot of the same stuff Hill gives you.

Just now, lavar703 said:

Daxton Hill is usually mocked end of first to early second. Kyle Hamilton is much, much better than Hill so it seems odd to me to trade down and still take the same position but an inferior prospect. I'd much rather stay at 11 and take one of the top WR prospects and then take Pitre in the second who gives you a lot of the same stuff Hill gives you.

Kyle Hamilton and Daxton Hill do not play the same position. 

1 minute ago, lavar703 said:

Daxton Hill is usually mocked end of first to early second.

I don't see him going in the 2nd TOO often, but I rarely see him as high as 19 too, yes. 

Kyle Hamilton is much, much better than Hill so it seems odd to me to trade down and still take the same position but an inferior prospect.

Is it apples to apples though? As MK just alluded to, do they play the same position? Some think yes, I think no. 

I'd much rather stay at 11 and take one of the top WR prospects and then take Pitre in the second who gives you a lot of the same stuff Hill gives you.

Now we're talking!

• Like 1

Just now, lavar703 said:

Daxton Hill can play either safety or corner. Kyle Hamilton is going to play FS whether I like that or not. We're splitting hairs here. 

Its not splitting hairs.  Kyle Hamilton is an In the Box Safety/Linebacker hybrid, Daxton Hill is a deep coverage safety / slot CB.  They don't play the same role at all.  

I like the draft, particularly the second round.  I also think Hill is a bit of a reach.  I would rather get Mcduffie at that pick if you want corner.  But I guess it depends on how you plan to use him.  Is he a safety or a cornerback?  I don't want a utility player at 19.  

Just now, MKnight82 said:

Its not splitting hairs.  Kyle Hamilton is an In the Box Safety/Linebacker hybrid, Daxton Hill is a deep coverage safety / slot CB.  They don't play the same role at all.  

Kyle Hamilton is and has exclusively played FS. What he projects to in the NFL is a Free Safety. What Rivera and JDR plan to play him on has no bearing on what his current position is. So like I said, splitting hairs. I also tend to agree with you that he's going to struggle at FS at the next level but that is the position he plays. 

• Like 1

Just now, offbyone said:

I like the draft, particularly the second round.  I also think Hill is a bit of a reach.  I would rather get Mcduffie at that pick if you want corner.  But I guess it depends on how you plan to use him.  Is he a safety or a cornerback?  I don't want a utility player at 19.  

Hill would start at FS but could play slot CB in some packages.  Particularly if one of our depth Safeties steps up and can play some snaps deep.  

Sorry, Knight. Can't get on board with that mock.

If we're taking S D. Hill in the 1st, I would rather trade down a 2nd time & pick up more draft capital & land him there, instead of reaching for him @19.

IF he's not there in the 2nd trade down? Look at Jaquan Brisker out of Penn ST or target a different position.

WR George Pickens in the 2nd makes me nervous. We do need a WR, but I'd prefer to avoid one that's had ACL damage or any major injury that high in the draft.

It's one of the reasons I want nothing to do with CB Stingley @11.

I would much rather go with WR's Burks or Dotson with your Wr pick.

probably Burks, because Dotson sounds too close to Josh Doctson & we can't have that. 😆

The rest of your draft looks decent.

9 minutes ago, aceinthehouse said:

Sorry, Knight. Can't get on board with that mock.

If we're taking S D. Hill in the 1st, I would rather trade down a 2nd time & pick up more draft capital & land him there, instead of reaching for him @19.

IF he's not there in the 2nd trade down? Look at Jaquan Brisker out of Penn ST or target a different position.

That would probably be a reach for him imo too. 

9 minutes ago, aceinthehouse said:

WR George Pickens in the 2nd makes me nervous. We do need a WR, but I'd prefer to avoid one that's had ACL damage or any major injury that high in the draft.

It's one of the reasons I want nothing to do with CB Stingley @11.

I would much rather go with WR's Burks or Dotson with your Wr pick.

Burks tore his ACL too.