Doug Baldwin: TNF should be illegal

DigInBoys

7 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Age plays a role in this too.

Im mid 30's and my recovery from a heavy lifting day, long hike, etc isn't nearly what it was when I was younger.

I couldn't imagine having to play 2 full games in 5 days.

That is true, mid 40's and it usually takes me 5 days just to recover from flag football.

When your muscles are tired or aren't recovered something else has to pick up the slack, odds are that something else is more susceptible to injury and that injury is going to be more significant than muscle soreness.

6 hours ago, Malik said:

Maybe NFL players should stop agreeing to everything?? Also there's been zero actual quantifiable evidence that players get uniquely injured during thursday night games or that they games are uniquely worse. It's just a talking point.

Obviously there will be more injuries, usually because of unhealed injuries from the previous game. Most likely to happen to players in the most vigorous positions.

As far as blaming players for the owners decisions that is just plain goofy. That is like blaming you for gun control, Obama care or whatever rule is in place that you didn't make. Players don't have rulemaking abilities, or at least not rule passing power so why blame them instead of the actual source? Easier target?

6 hours ago, JLambert58 said:

Friday night football makes a lot more sense.  High schools be damned.  

It actually makes very little sense or cents, for the NFL to do this. The Friday night HS participants (coaches, players, player's parents, etc) are your NFL consumers that you need to generate the proper ratings and ticket purchases to push advertising and revenue. That is a very very large and important audience that you are neglecting by playing NFL games on Fridays.

The NFL should just go away with TNF all together. If they still want that "primetime" game, Double up on MNF since there's no other day of the week that would be suitable to play a game and expect the team to be ready for it next week or cut into an existing market already (CFB, highschool etc.) 

Hell triple up on MNF it'd be better than sitting through awful Thursday games teams aren't prepared for/healthy enough to play in.

6 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

The Browns organization cares about their players, they know if they win 3 or less games per year that they won't have to put their players through the primetime grind.

And we definitely aren't asking our players to play an extra 3-4 games in the playoffs.

Haslam is woke for sure.

6 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

Obviously there will be more injuries, usually because of unhealed injuries from the previous game. Most likely to happen to players in the most vigorous positions.

As far as blaming players for the owners decisions that is just plain goofy. That is like blaming you for gun control, Obama care or whatever rule is in place that you didn't make. Players don't have rulemaking abilities, or at least not rule passing power so why blame them instead of the actual source? Easier target?

There aren't obviously more injuries at all. No one has actually ever proven there are more injuries at any level. All the decisions in the league are collectively bargained. NFLPA just never attempts to bargain for anything in their favor ever.

People calling TNF terrible when every singe MNF game this year has been an uncompetitive dreg is hilarious though. The same exact thing can be said for SNF as well.

If the league still wants TNF they should only schedule teams to participate in these if they are coming off a bye.  This way the players have time to recoup from the previous game.  Have these Thursday games begin once the bye weeks start.

2 hours ago, Malik said:

There aren't obviously more injuries at all. No one has actually ever proven there are more injuries at any level. All the decisions in the league are collectively bargained. NFLPA just never attempts to bargain for anything in their favor ever.

People calling TNF terrible when every singe MNF game this year has been an uncompetitive dreg is hilarious though. The same exact thing can be said for SNF as well.

If an NFL team played a game without a days rest would there be more injuries? How about just 1 days rest? See where I'm going with this? If the numbers don't say there are more injuries it is probably because a larger number of players are inactive on Thursdays and teams aren't putting susceptible players at risk, but I'd still expect it to be higher.

8 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

If an NFL team played a game without a days rest would there be more injuries? How about just 1 days rest? See where I'm going with this? If the numbers don't say there are more injuries it is probably because a larger number of players are inactive on Thursdays and teams aren't putting susceptible players at risk, but I'd still expect it to be higher.

The thing is, whetherplayers are more susceptible to injured is irrelevant. You don't need research or evidence to disprove that it is not safe and there is a danger to playing on such short rests. 

And more importantly, if the players (you know the guys who are experiencing this) don't like it then who the heck are we to dismiss that or argue against it?

TNF reduced to less games week 4 to week 12 and only when both teams are coming off the bye

MNF double header week 1 to week 16, start games at 7pm {2 EST\CST teams) and 10pm (2 West coast teams)

Saturday night football week 17 (after cottage done)

SNF week 1 to week 17

This should be sufficient Prime time games to get more revenue then the current format and avoid to many the games. Heck I prefer the MNF double header, with "your" game starting at 7pm then at 8:30 after a work day.

On 10/11/2017 at 10:58 PM, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Age plays a role in this too.

Im mid 30's and my recovery from a heavy lifting day, long hike, etc isn't nearly what it was when I was younger.

I couldn't imagine having to play 2 full games in 5 days.

Day after leg day has always been a biatch. 15 to 30 years of age, nothing has changed there haha. 

Archived