Week 10 GDT - Saints @ Bills, 1pm EST on FOX

whodatworm23

13 hours ago, whodatworm23 said:

Exactly... The NFC is so stout right now but I did have a dream that we beat the Steelers in the SB. Lol

NOW you need to pump the brakes. You do know Big Ben is using the Dilly Dilly audible, right? To date, nobody has beaten Dilly Dilly.

10 hours ago, Jlowe22 said:

The Panthers were a good win, but Cam was awful that game.  Same with Lions and Stafford.  

Not trying to discount your view point, but isn't this what really good teams do? They make good opposition look bad.

10 hours ago, Jlowe22 said:

That being said, the Bills game was one of the most impressive displays I've ever seen in the NFL, and my jaw was on the floor pretty much the whole game.  But I still gotta see more.  I need to see how this defense reacts to a QB like Cousins, and an elite, explosive offense like the Rams.  

Totally agreed. I said before that the Bills would be a major test, and it was...open book, I guess.

I've had the Skins circled all season as a must win, and a measuring stick, but these Rams, these Rams are surprising everyone.

I hope Big Sean can reach into his bag-o-tricks and teach Lil' Sean that the NFL is a big surprise, year after year. I also hope that we can beat them, not once, but twice. Time #2 coming in the playoffs.

30 minutes ago, Mid Iowa said:

Not trying to discount your view point, but isn't this what really good teams do? They make good opposition look bad.

Totally agreed. I said before that the Bills would be a major test, and it was...open book, I guess.

I've had the Skins circled all season as a must win, and a measuring stick, but these Rams, these Rams are surprising everyone.

I hope Big Sean can reach into his bag-o-tricks and teach Lil' Sean that the NFL is a big surprise, year after year. I also hope that we can beat them, not once, but twice. Time #2 coming in the playoffs.

Yes, and much of why they looked bad was surely do to our coverage and pass rush, but both were dealing with injuries and both made incredibly stupid decisions.

But we did what we were supposed to do, and you can't take anything away from the defense.  But now I gotta see them do something to a team firing on all cylinders.

11 hours ago, Jlowe22 said:

I know, but there have been some Saints fans building us up as some unstoppable juggernaut, and I just don't think that's the case, or at least not yet.  We haven't beaten the best teams in the league yet, and we've had some really close calls against some bad teams.  If we play like we did against the Bills, we can beat anybody, but I just think it's unrealistic to expect us to perform that well against everyone.  Almost everyone(including me) probably overrated the Bills to be honest.  The Panthers were a good win, but Cam was awful that game.  Same with Lions and Stafford.  

There are still exploitable holes on this team, we can give up a big play here and there, our LBs are a noticeable weak spot, our stud LT Armstead gets hurt every other game, our RBs have been fumbling too often, Brees still has a noodle arm and everyone knows he's fully capable of throwing picks when he wants to.

That being said, the Bills game was one of the most impressive displays I've ever seen in the NFL, and my jaw was on the floor pretty much the whole game.  But I still gotta see more.  I need to see how this defense reacts to a QB like Cousins, and an elite, explosive offense like the Rams.  

The problem with this line of thinking is that it is essentially making excuses to why we won rather than what very well could be a more likely scenario that we are just simply playing great football. If opposing QB's are "awful" against us, but not other teams (Cam/Stafford). Than I have reason to believe that maybe it's a combo of our pass rush and secondary simply outplaying the opposing offense.

I for one have said we may be the best in the NFL, which is an argument that has some weight at this time. Every team has close games against bad teams throughout the year. This isn't some new revelation, nobody blows their opponents out for 17 straight weeks. However the difference between an average and a great team is great teams find ways to win those games (See our team the past few seasons in 1 possession games). Regardless, I'm curious to see what you consider a close call with a bad team, as the only "close call" we had with a bad team so far this season has maybe been the Bears, which was a 1 possession game, but not all that close as we had the lead the entire game. 

Are we some consensus number 1 team in the NFL right now...Nope...Nobody is at this point. Do we have a legitimate argument as a top team right now...Absolutely. 7 game winning streaks don't just appear out of nowhere. I get the hesitation to say we are some unstoppable GOAT top team in the league, but I don't think anyone is saying that as we clearly aren't at that level. I do however have no issue with some saying that we may be the best team in the NFL at this point. That doesn't mean we are unbeatable, but when looking at our team we appear to have the pieces we need for a deep playoff run on both sides of the ball. Contrary to the belief of some, we've played several quality teams so far. No team has played the best teams every week, and no team has been able to win every week. Not the Eagles, Patriots, Vikings, Saints, or Rams, so for now essentially any of those 5 teams have a valid argument as the best in the NFL. 

31 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

The problem with this line of thinking is that it is essentially making excuses to why we won rather than what very well could be a more likely scenario that we are just simply playing great football. If opposing QB's are "awful" against us, but not other teams (Cam/Stafford). Than I have reason to believe that maybe it's a combo of our pass rush and secondary simply outplaying the opposing offense.

I for one have said we may be the best in the NFL, which is an argument that has some weight at this time. Every team has close games against bad teams throughout the year. This isn't some new revelation, nobody blows their opponents out for 17 straight weeks. However the difference between an average and a great team is great teams find ways to win those games (See our team the past few seasons in 1 possession games). Regardless, I'm curious to see what you consider a close call with a bad team, as the only "close call" we had with a bad team so far this season has maybe been the Bears, which was a 1 possession game, but not all that close as we had the lead the entire game. 

Are we some consensus number 1 team in the NFL right now...Nope...Nobody is at this point. Do we have a legitimate argument as a top team right now...Absolutely. 7 game winning streaks don't just appear out of nowhere. I get the hesitation to say we are some unstoppable GOAT top team in the league, but I don't think anyone is saying that as we clearly aren't at that level. I do however have no issue with some saying that we may be the best team in the NFL at this point. That doesn't mean we are unbeatable, but when looking at our team we appear to have the pieces we need for a deep playoff run on both sides of the ball. Contrary to the belief of some, we've played several quality teams so far. No team has played the best teams every week, and no team has been able to win every week. Not the Eagles, Patriots, Vikings, Saints, or Rams, so for now essentially any of those 5 teams have a valid argument as the best in the NFL. 

Cam does play bad against other teams, it's well known he's wildly up and down especially at the beginning of the season.  Even Panther fans admit this.  Like I said, we did what we were supposed to, but it's premature to call us the best team in the league right now.  One of the best?  Certainly, but not necessarily the best.

Its not an excuse, it's keeping things realistic.  Theres no need to go around tooting our own horn when we haven't yet beat Eagles or Rams, both of which look just as dominant. And we in fact, got beat by the two best teams we played.  And not just beat, but blown the **** out.

We may be the best, but we haven't proven it yet.

1 minute ago, Jlowe22 said:

Cam does play bad against other teams, it's well known he's wildly up and down especially at the beginning of the season.  Even Panther fans admit this.  Like I said, we did what we were supposed to, but it's premature to call us the best team in the league right now.  One of the best?  Certainly, but not necessarily the best.

Its not an excuse, it's keeping things realistic.  Theres no need to go around tooting our own horn when we haven't yet beat Eagles or Rams, both of which look just as dominant. And we in fact, got beat by the two best teams we played.  And not just beat, but blown the **** out.

Cam is a front runner to the 100th degree... His offenses never have really lead the way for the Panthers simply because hes so inconsistent. If Riverboat Ron's defense cannot keep Cam in games it is typically a blowout. When things are going well with Cam hes an obsuredly arrogant flashy custom wearing wanna be funny at press conferences player. When things are bad, hes a finger pointing rude insensitive disrespectful clown. 

If you frustrate Cam in the slightest early in the game he typically folds but if you allow thier defense to keep them in games and let Cam get confidence he will do what front runners do.

Played a madden game of the 100% healthy Rams vs the 100% healthy Saints.

25 yard line and a holding call puts us on the 15. A sack on 1st and 20 puts us on the 7.

2nd and 28 Mark Ingram gets the draw, gets blown up and he fumbles backwards. Strief picks it up and his momentum carries him into the end one where he’s tackled for a safety.

So, basically anything that happens will be better than that opening series.

1 hour ago, Jlowe22 said:

I won't debate this too heavily as it's essentially a semantics argument. As I've stated we have an argument for the top team, but so do a few other teams. Basically we are right there with the best in my eyes.

The problem is those teams lost to the Panthers, Lions, etc. Which means they haven't really proven to be better than we currently are when we are healthy, and playing our best players. We are on a 7 game win streak we can toot our horn and be proud of the team for having the longest win streak in the NFL. Again nobody is saying we are an unbeatable juggernaut, but to go from where we've been the past few years and even the start of the season, to where we are now, we certainly have every reason to be happy about where the team is at now/going forward.

Also, regarding Cam, sure he can be inconsistent, but we made him look downright terrible. It may have been one of the worst outings I've seen by him. There is something to be said about that and how our defense played him. If I'm not mistaken didn't they put in their backup Derek Anderson for a couple series. That game Cam had 3 interceptions, 2 fumbles, and a 43.8 QB Rating (His lowest QB rating of the season, and 2nd lowest in his career). In other words, our Defense deserves credit here for a dominant game. I'd also mention that we put up 34 points up against the Panthers defense, which is the most they've allowed all season.

Regarding Stafford, he has a QB rating for the season of 96.3. Against us he had a QB rating of 62.3, which is by far his lowest of the season. His next lowest QB rating was 80.2. To really put this in perspective he's had a QB rating of 90 (or above) in 6 out of 9 games, he's had a QB rating of 80 (or above) in 8 out of 9 games. Essentially we are the only team to give him a truly bad game this season. Again, our Defense deserves credit where credit is due here.

Also I'd even add Tyrod Taylor to this list of QB's we've completely dominated. He had a QB rating of 33.6 against us (By far his lowest of the season). Tyrod's next lowest QB rating this year was 63.6. However he's had a QB rating of 80 (or above) in 7 out of 9 games this season. So he essentially had 1 bad game, and 1 game where he got destroyed, which was yet again by us.

Jameis Winston had a 68.4 QB rating against us. His second worst QB rating of the year (Panthers were the only team to shut him down worse than us).

Jay Cutler had a 70.1 QB rating against us one of his worst performances of the year (Also a shutout for the Defense)

Brett Hundley had a 39 QB rating against us. Tied for worst on the season for him.

Mitchell Trubisky had a 46.9 QB rating against us. By far his worst QB rating on the year.

What this tells me is during our 7 game win streak is we have literally destroyed every opposing QB we have faced, and given them some of their worst games of the year. Now you could say that it was somewhat of a fluke if it happened once or twice, but to literally 7 QB's in a row. I think that is where you just need to start giving the Saints Defense a tip of the cap on a job well done shutting down opposing QB's. 

"If we play like we did against the Bills, we can beat anybody, but I just think it's unrealistic to expect us to perform that well against everyone.  Almost everyone(including me) probably overrated the Bills to be honest.  The Panthers were a good win, but Cam was awful that game.  Same with Lions and Stafford."

So again, I just don't think this holds true in that it was just Cam/Stafford having bad games (or being inconsistent), but rather it was our defense completely destroying them. You don't have your worst game of the season/2nd worst of your career due to inconsistency, the credit goes to the opposing defense for that.  

It's kind of funny to think that we've been holding opposing QB's to some of their worst games of the season after so many years of literally handing so many QB's some of their best performances of their career's when going against the Saints defense. 

1 hour ago, tyler735 said:

I won't debate this too heavily as it's essentially a semantics argument. As I've stated we have an argument for the top team, but so do a few other teams. Basically we are right there with the best in my eyes.

The problem is those teams lost to the Panthers, Lions, etc. Which means they haven't really proven to be better than we currently are when we are healthy, and playing our best players. We are on a 7 game win streak we can toot our horn and be proud of the team for having the longest win streak in the NFL. Again nobody is saying we are an unbeatable juggernaut, but to go from where we've been the past few years and even the start of the season, to where we are now, we certainly have every reason to be happy about where the team is at now/going forward.

Also, regarding Cam, sure he can be inconsistent, but we made him look downright terrible. It may have been one of the worst outings I've seen by him. There is something to be said about that and how our defense played him. If I'm not mistaken didn't they put in their backup Derek Anderson for a couple series. That game Cam had 3 interceptions, 2 fumbles, and a 43.8 QB Rating (His lowest QB rating of the season, and 2nd lowest in his career). In other words, our Defense deserves credit here for a dominant game. I'd also mention that we put up 34 points up against the Panthers defense, which is the most they've allowed all season.

Regarding Stafford, he has a QB rating for the season of 96.3. Against us he had a QB rating of 62.3, which is by far his lowest of the season. His next lowest QB rating was 80.2. To really put this in perspective he's had a QB rating of 90 (or above) in 6 out of 9 games, he's had a QB rating of 80 (or above) in 8 out of 9 games. Essentially we are the only team to give him a truly bad game this season. Again, our Defense deserves credit where credit is due here.

Also I'd even add Tyrod Taylor to this list of QB's we've completely dominated. He had a QB rating of 33.6 against us (By far his lowest of the season). Tyrod's next lowest QB rating this year was 63.6. However he's had a QB rating of 80 (or above) in 7 out of 9 games this season. So he essentially had 1 bad game, and 1 game where he got destroyed, which was yet again by us.

Jameis Winston had a 68.4 QB rating against us. His second worst QB rating of the year (Panthers were the only team to shut him down worse than us).

Jay Cutler had a 70.1 QB rating against us one of his worst performances of the year (Also a shutout for the Defense)

Brett Hundley had a 39 QB rating against us. Tied for worst on the season for him.

Mitchell Trubisky had a 46.9 QB rating against us. By far his worst QB rating on the year.

What this tells me is during our 7 game win streak is we have literally destroyed every opposing QB we have faced, and given them some of their worst games of the year. Now you could say that it was somewhat of a fluke if it happened once or twice, but to literally 7 QB's in a row. I think that is where you just need to start giving the Saints Defense a tip of the cap on a job well done shutting down opposing QB's. 

"If we play like we did against the Bills, we can beat anybody, but I just think it's unrealistic to expect us to perform that well against everyone.  Almost everyone(including me) probably overrated the Bills to be honest.  The Panthers were a good win, but Cam was awful that game.  Same with Lions and Stafford."

So again, I just don't think this holds true in that it was just Cam/Stafford having bad games (or being inconsistent), but rather it was our defense completely destroying them. You don't have your worst game of the season/2nd worst of your career due to inconsistency, the credit goes to the opposing defense for that.  

It's kind of funny to think that we've been holding opposing QB's to some of their worst games of the season after so many years of literally handing so many QB's some of their best performances of their career's when going against the Saints defense. 

I don't really disagree with any of that, never have. Only saying, there are other teams in the league that have looked just as dominant as us, and we get to play one of those teams in two weeks.  

And there has been more said than simply "we are one of the best teams in the league", we have downright been called the best team in the league, we have been expected to run the table, Kamara is better than Leveon Bell, Lattimore is better than prime revis, Brees for MVP, and all sorts of other silliness.

And it's just that, silliness. We haven't proven any of this yet.

I feel very confident about this team moving forward with the rest of the season. We have a young team but I think Payton has been doing a great job of keeping them on track and will continue to do so.

I believe we actually have something very special this year and it’s not a coincidence that this season is looking similar to 2009. Payton knows this as well and you can see it in his coaching. I trust Payton knows what he is doing and will be able to take this team far into the playoffs. 

9 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

I don't really disagree with any of that, never have. Only saying, there are other teams in the league that have looked just as dominant as us, and we get to play one of those teams in two weeks.  

And there has been more said than simply "we are one of the best teams in the league", we have downright been called the best team in the league, we have been expected to run the table, Kamara is better than Leveon Bell, Lattimore is better than prime revis, Brees for MVP, and all sorts of other silliness.

And it's just that, silliness. We haven't proven any of this yet.

I think this happens to every fan when there are new shiny toys. Sure there are some remarks that are quite premature and such regarding some of our players, which I have also seen, but generally I think most Saints fans view us as one of the best if not best in the NFL right now, which is a fair viewpoint at this point in the season. Sure it is possible that we win out, but I don't think it is a likely scenario, and I'd imagine the vast majority of Saints fans also believe the same. I think the pole in NFL general has around 25% thinking we are the best in the NFL at this point, and I know that isn't all Saints fans judging by the comments. I'm sure if that pole stated specific teams Saints, Patriots, Rams, Vikings, and Eagles, we would be near the top of the poll if not top.

55 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

I think this happens to every fan when there are new shiny toys. Sure there are some remarks that are quite premature and such regarding some of our players, which I have also seen, but generally I think most Saints fans view us as one of the best if not best in the NFL right now, which is a fair viewpoint at this point in the season. Sure it is possible that we win out, but I don't think it is a likely scenario, and I'd imagine the vast majority of Saints fans also believe the same. I think the pole in NFL general has around 25% thinking we are the best in the NFL at this point, and I know that isn't all Saints fans judging by the comments. I'm sure if that pole stated specific teams Saints, Patriots, Rams, Vikings, and Eagles, we would be near the top of the poll if not top.

Well I certainly voted for us, and like I said, if we play like we did against the Bills, I'm not sure anyone is gonna be able to handle us.  That was one of the most dominating performances by an offensive line I have ever seen, and on the rare occasion one of them missed a block, Ingram and Kamara were making perfect cuts and powering through contact.  It was an unbelievable game by our guys.

This is our best all around team since 09 IMO, and we have a legit shot at a deep playoff run.  

But the NFC is stacked right now, and we have several other dominant teams to go through first.

We can all look both ways at this. We started 13-0 in 2009, won the title.
Chiefs started 9-0 in 2013, finished 2-5 down the stretch, and ended up as a wild card... and lost that.

Of course, we were fortunate to be playing the Colts in the Super Bowl, who are tied for the worst NFL team to go to a Super Bowl.

There are 7 more games for teams to rise and fall. The big difference this year is, we're balanced.

We're balanced in a lot of ways. Top 8 defense (arguably top defense at this point), Top 3 offense. Winning the turnover ratio. Able to pass AND rush. 

I still think we're the best team in the NFC when you take everything into consideration. I'm banking on that, and I'll not take away my statement. AND the coaching staff is still looking for ways to improve i.e. special teams.

Health, at this point, will be our only wild card.

Archived