2022 NFL Draftstravaganza Day 1 Discussion

MOSteelers56

2 hours ago, warfelg said:

Sure you can do that. That’s being said, the bet being hedged is “will DJ make more than we are comfortable paying?”

DJ Moore got $20 mill AAV…so did Mike Williams…AJ brown got $25 mill AAV(maybe slight discount due to injuries?)…

If you can get DJ for ~$20~ mill, I have no issues with it.

Take advantage of the rookie QB contract…use the 2023 draft to replenish the front 7 on D and further OL help.

Use the salary cap room to continue redoing the secondary and piece or 2 on the OL(depending on how Moore/Dotson and Center work out)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AFF said:

DJ Moore got $20 mill AAV…so did Mike Williams…AJ brown got $25 mill AAV(maybe slight discount due to injuries?)…

If you can get DJ for ~$20~ mill, I have no issues with it.

Take advantage of the rookie QB contract…use the 2023 draft to replenish the front 7 on D and further OL help.

Use the salary cap room to continue redoing the secondary and piece or 2 on the OL(depending on how Moore/Dotson and Center work out)

I wouldn’t be a fan of that. I feel $15-17mil is about the most I would pay DJ. 

Edit:

Spotrac has his value at 4/$88 ($22AAV) 

PFF has him at $24AAV. 

Yea. Not paying that. 

Edited by warfelg
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

I wouldn’t be a fan of that. I feel $15-17mil is about the most I would pay DJ. 

Edit:

Spotrac has his value at 4/$88 ($22AAV) 

PFF has him at $24AAV. 

Yea. Not paying that. 

Thats absolutely laughable.

He would be on the trade block now if it were up to me.   If we can get a 2nd rd value or more...buh bye.   If not, he plays his last year and we likely get a 3rd in 2024.

Via PFF:

@NIKODRISCOLL: ANY CHANCE THE STEELERS LOOK TO MOVE DIONTAE JOHNSON? GREAT PLAYER BUT A LOT OF WEAPONS AND HE’S GONNA WANT $$$$$

I would be surprised if the Pittsburgh Steelerstraded Diontae Johnson, especially now that the draft is over.

Nonetheless, Johnson should expect a contract in the $20 million APY range if he can maintain his level of play from a year ago. He’ll be catching passes from Mitchell Trubisky and Kenny Pickett this time around, and the Steelers added a high-upside receiver in George Pickensin the draft.

I will say that while Im against paying DJ big money...we likely will.   

Fortunately, they will have a year to assess him with the new QBs.   If he steps up and shows more consistency, they will likely tag him next year while they look to extend him.   If Pickens and Austin show enough, and Claypool can return to what he was early in 2020, I could see us letting DJ walk unless he shows more reliability.

I think the biggest possibility is DJ gets tagged.   Beyond that, Im not sure.

If we let him walk next year, I could really see him signing with the Ravens.