Baltimore Ravens 2022 NFL Draft Thread

coordinator0

On 5/2/2022 at 3:55 PM, DreamKid said:

In the Packers forum someone posted that they're pretty sure Quay Walker was our guy at 23, but when the Packers picked him we had to trade to down......

Just like the Packers stole Darnell Savage from us in 19' draft, or how the Eagles stole Jordan Davis from us, or when the Texans stole John Metchie III from us.

It's the same nonsense every year, everyone is 'stealing' players from the Ravens. With the Ravens theorized  interest in said player(s) based on "Well they drafted Haloti Ngata in 06, so clearly Jordan Davis is their guy at 14", "Everyone knows the Ravens love players from Alabama heh heh", or "Well the Ravens traded down after, that means we got their guy". You know, sound logic. 

The lore of the Ravens' Draft has become so prominent that clubs are playing themselves in an attempt to navigate us.

'Stolen' from the Ravens: Jordan Davis, John Metchie III, Christian Harris, Akayleb Evans

vs

Who the Ravens actually picked:  Kyle Hamilton, David Ojabo, Travis Jones, Jalyn Armour-Davis

^^^I'm sure our FO is furious at how out maneuvered they were in this one fellas 😂

I even replied to that Packers fan saying that it's BS that the Ravens wanted Walker.  They just wanted to feel better about the Quay Walker pick because most of the them hated it . As for the JAD pick, I think that Minny jumping ahead of us to take Evans pretty much gave Eric the alert that there would be a run for CBs at that point of the draft hence why he got JAD right after. Maybe Eric's plan was to take either Zamir White or Spiller with that pick and take JAD with the 130th pick but he couldn't risk losing the only CB remaining on his board.

FO has confirmed a couple things:

- Kyle Hamilton was far and away the higher ranked player we had on the board between he and Jordan Davis, so DeCosta was beyond happy the Eagles traded up and secured Hamilton for us. They couldn't believe he fell(I'm guessing he was a Top 5 player on their board). If Hamilton went at 13, Jordan Davis would have been the pick though. There was a big drop on their board after that point from Davis to the next prospect- basically that massive talent drop from the Top 12 or so that we had been discussing all draft season. I think this also confirms WR was one of the main targets as prospects like Williams/London/Wilson/Olave probably fleshed out the gap between Hamilton & Davis and Davis & the talent drop.

- In his interview with Marlon for Studio 44, EDC confirmed he's been setting and building the draft board since 2005. The team uses a BPA approach, and selects the highest player off of it. So for the "Ozzie would have drafted X" crowd, it's been DeCosta establishing the final call on who the BPA is at any given point in the draft since 2005. 

- There was no red flag(injury or character) for Jermaine Johnson. Joe Hortiz was asked if there was any special reason Jermaine Johnson fell and he said no. So Tyler Linderbaum was just higher on our board.

- The only time a player was taken up ahead of our pick and we actually wanted him was indeed Calvin Austin. So none of those super genius clubs needed to trade up ahead of us in the end.

Not our FO, but stupid Jerry Jones apparently revealed some paper or something to prove Tyler Smith was high on their board. The internet went to work and discerned their rankings from what was shown. Their top 34-

We got their 8th, 25th, and 26th ranked prospects. 

FSAoBHHVUBInybM?format=png&name=900x900

• Like 4

I wonder what the BUCS would do if we don't take Stout with the 130th pick (let's say we take Austin instead) . The seemed pretty happy taking Camarada with their pick. I wonder if they actually had Canard higher than Stout in their board. 

If not for the Austin miss, this would have been the absolute perfect draft.

I loved the first 7 selections and the last one (Badie was great value that late in the draft). 

1 hour ago, DreamKid said:

Highly recommend giving this episode with EDC a listen-

Confirms most of our pre draft theories and offers some other insight into the process.

I found it interesting that EDC also compared Kolar to Dennis Pitta, “there’s a little bit of Dennis Pitta to his game.”

He’s got the size of Crockett Gilmore but plays more like Dennis Pitta. He’s a “get in your way” type blocker vs someone that looks like they’re trying to truly get after their opponent but might just be a little outclassed.

Going back to their rookie seasons within the team, Dennis Pitta was the less impactful of the rookie TEs between he and Ed Dickson behind Todd Heap. Then with a year under his belt, he took off and thrived within his connection with Joe Flacco.

I can certainly see similar with Kolar as well, he’s got all the tools to develop into an incredibly productive TE option, but he could probably use another year before he’s truly ready to truly ball out. If he can get his route running down, he could be a a difference maker for our offense.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

I can certainly see similar with Kolar as well, he’s got all the tools to develop into an incredibly productive TE option, but he could probably use another year before he’s truly ready to truly ball out. If he can get his route running down, he could be a a difference maker for our offense.

I'm much higher on Kolar than Likely. That athletic profile is abysmal for Isaiah and he played against much worse competition. It's a total wait and see approach for me with him. I think he has some ability to block in space(similar to Hurst), hands seem pretty soft, and he has good contact balance throughout the catch, but I can't buy into his big plays translating until I see it on the pro field.

Kolar has a strong athletic profile, size, hands, and flashed a natural ability to uncover against zone. He's immediately interesting as a red zone weapon and 2nd massive slot option for Lamar, but if he can really study and mimic Mark's game we could have another plus weapon at TE soon enough.

On 5/5/2022 at 10:58 PM, DreamKid said:

FO has confirmed a couple things:

While he didn’t confirm the player exactly, EDC did mention that there indeed was a particular receiver that we were targeting at the top of the draft, that it was a singular receiver in particular that they were high on that they were interested in.

In the interview he also mentioned he felt Olave would be available at 14 and allow them the potential for a trade down.

Now this last part is complete conjecture on my part, but still a somewhat educated guess, I think the fact that 5/6 UDFA receivers that we brought in were 6’3”+ and the fact that EDC said we were only interested in ONE WR for our pick at 14... and the fact that we double dipped at TE with two guys with size... and it makes me feel like Drake London might’ve been high up on our big board. That he was our desired WR pick had he fallen to pick 14.

He had the size, catch radius, YAC ability, and toughness that would’ve made him an ideal pairing with Lamar IMO.

Obviously we likely will never know or at least we won’t know until years down the road when the draft story might truly be revealed, but Drake London would make the most logical sense IMO.

Edited by diamondbull424
  • Like 4

On 5/8/2022 at 9:42 PM, diamondbull424 said:

While he didn’t confirm the player exactly, EDC did mention that there indeed was a particular receiver that we were targeting at the top of the draft, that it was a singular receiver in particular that they were high on that they were interested in.

In the interview he also mentioned he felt Olave would be available at 14 and allow them the potential for a trade down.

Now this last part is complete conjecture on my part, but still a somewhat educated guess, I think the fact that 5/6 UDFA receivers that we brought in were 6’3”+ and the fact that EDC said we were only interested in ONE WR for our pick at 14... and the fact that we double dipped at TE with two guys with size... and it makes me feel like Drake London might’ve been high up on our big board. That he was our desired WR pick had he fallen to pick 14.

He had the size, catch radius, YAC ability, and toughness that would’ve made him an ideal pairing with Lamar IMO.

Obviously we likely will never know or at least we won’t know until years down the road when the draft story might truly be revealed, but Drake London would make the most logical sense IMO.

As I’ve thought about this a little more and I look over the size, Jameson Williams was 6’2” and when I think of the analytics, the SPARQ type traits the Ravens covet with early prospects, plus the production, and along the notion of SPARQ, the fact that Williams, while not running a 40, was clocked at above 23 mph against Miami last season… with Jonathan Taylor displaying the fastest time in the NFL at 22.13 mph.

… then you’ve got Ozzie Newsome with intimate knowledge of Alabama and their prospects.

Then you’ve got the fact that the Ravens gave f- all about the fact that David Ojabo having to take time to recover from injury and still took him.

… then finally thinking about the fact that prior to injury many had Williams as easily the best WR in this class and he’s probably the other, and more likely pick the Ravens were hoping for to fall to them at pick #14.

EDC mentioned all the scenarios, he mentioned it wasn’t for a lack of trying that they didn’t get a WR. They tried to keep the deal regarding Hollywood quiet.

Which Jameson Williams was really, if we’re being honest a taller, tougher, super charged version of Hollywood Brown. He’s basically Hollywood Brown if he played like a Raven.

By the sounds of it, Kyle Hamilton was a top 5 type of prospect on the Ravens board. And if there’s a WR out of Drake London and Jameson Williams that might also have been top 5 on their board (because I’ve noticed in none of the interviews have the Ravens mentioned the WR was ranked below Hamilton), then I’d have to think Jameson Williams would’ve been a top 5 player/talent in this draft class.

So I think the Ravens were both pumped that they were able to land Kyle Hamilton, but also disappointed that they didn’t land Jameson Williams.

As I think on it more, they likely hoped to supply Lamar with Tyler Linderbaum and Jameson Williams in that 1st round and make out like gangbusters.

That’s what makes the most logical sense. Not that they were looking to go back to the 2019 offense. That IMO was the pivot and the result of the Lions stealing “our guy”. Which was facilitated by the Vikings making one of the most terrible value trade downs in recent memory.

Which is unfortunate because guys with Williams speed don’t come into the draft very often. For me, he and Christian Watson were my top 2 WRs in this class and if we would’ve landed Williams, that would’ve been an incredibly explosive offense for sure.

Instead the entire media narrative changes to “maybe the Ravens don’t believe in Lamar because they’re choosing to go back to the TE offense from 2019 because that’s all he can do.” And that is very unfortunate indeed.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

As I’ve thought about this a little more and I look over the size, Jameson Williams was 6’2” and when I think of the analytics, the SPARQ type traits the Ravens covet with early prospects, plus the production, and along the notion of SPARQ, the fact that Williams, while not running a 40, was clocked at above 23 mph against Miami last season… with Jonathan Taylor displaying the fastest time in the NFL at 22.13 mph.

… then you’ve got Ozzie Newsome with intimate knowledge of Alabama and their prospects.

Then you’ve got the fact that the Ravens gave f- all about the fact that David Ojabo having to take time to recover from injury and still took him.

… then finally thinking about the fact that prior to injury many had Williams as easily the best WR in this class and he’s probably the other, and more likely pick the Ravens were hoping for to fall to them at pick #14.

EDC mentioned all the scenarios, he mentioned it wasn’t for a lack of trying that they didn’t get a WR. They tried to keep the deal regarding Hollywood quiet.

Which Jameson Williams was really, if we’re being honest a taller, tougher, super charged version of Hollywood Brown. He’s basically Hollywood Brown if he played like a Raven.

By the sounds of it, Kyle Hamilton was a top 5 type of prospect on the Ravens board. And if there’s a WR out of Drake London and Jameson Williams that might also have been top 5 on their board (because I’ve noticed in none of the interviews have the Ravens mentioned the WR was ranked below Hamilton), then I’d have to think Jameson Williams would’ve been a top 5 player/talent in this draft class.

So I think the Ravens were both pumped that they were able to land Kyle Hamilton, but also disappointed that they didn’t land Jameson Williams.

As I think on it more, they likely hoped to supply Lamar with Tyler Linderbaum and Jameson Williams in that 1st round and make out like gangbusters.

That’s what makes the most logical sense. Not that they were looking to go back to the 2019 offense. That IMO was the pivot and the result of the Lions stealing “our guy”. Which was facilitated by the Vikings making one of the most terrible value trade downs in recent memory.

Which is unfortunate because guys with Williams speed don’t come into the draft very often. For me, he and Christian Watson were my top 2 WRs in this class and if we would’ve landed Williams, that would’ve been an incredibly explosive offense for sure.

Instead the entire media narrative changes to “maybe the Ravens don’t believe in Lamar because they’re choosing to go back to the TE offense from 2019 because that’s all he can do.” And that is very unfortunate indeed.

I thought they would target Williams before the Brown trade was announced, so definitely agree.

But anyway it also stands out that having the 14th pick was a key spot as that was actually where the talent/value cliff seemed to be. Any of Williams, Davis, and Hamilton were legit blue chips. The Eagles gave up quite a bit (a 4th and 2 5ths) for a two spot hop ahead of us, considering most other trade ups were cheap in that round. Even though we said we had Hamilton above Davis, the Texans (or another team) would have taken one of those 2 at 13 and we would have taken the other, so that's why they had to make that move.