Jump to content

NFL Draft Day 1 GDT: We are going to be bored (No spoilers!!!!!)


Forge
 Share

Recommended Posts

Alright boys and girls! Its that time again! NFL Draft time, baby!

I don't foresee the 49ers doing a whole lot tonight with no first round pick and an expectation that Deebo won't be traded, so this is more about how early we will get to the presser and in the meantime we can converse on everyone else picks. 

Please remember to not spoil picks if you are getting them early on social media. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 re: 

I think this stuff gets overblown a bit. I remember last year something about Trevor Lawrence saying that he didn't need football to live a full life or something of that nature, and people took that as he didn't love football. I think KT said something similar, like 'football isn't my life' or something like that and people are taking it the wrong way. 

Honestly, I think it's a mature way of looking at it. It doesn't mean these guys are not committed to football and won't be good players; just more so that they have a broader view on life earlier in life. Thibedoux has been in the limelight since he was in highschool being a No. 1 overall recruit, and maybe he's found ways to cope with that pressure already that some other guys haven't had to go through. 

Of course there will always be guys like Rashaun Woods that blow this up and make this a valid concern, but it doesn't mean that everyone who doesn't consider football their entire life is going to fail. I think a lot of problems we see with guys that retire and go off the deep end or have significant personal problems after their career is over is due to them not being able to transition from a career that has been their entire life to finding interests outside of football and filling that hole with something else.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I do like the uncertainty in this draft. I've stated how I feel about the top of this draft, but the nice part about it is that it does kind of create an air of mystery. Day of the draft and people still aren't sure what's going to happen with the first pick, or second pick, etc. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, GW21 said:

 re: 

I think this stuff gets overblown a bit. I remember last year something about Trevor Lawrence saying that he didn't need football to live a full life or something of that nature, and people took that as he didn't love football. I think KT said something similar, like 'football isn't my life' or something like that and people are taking it the wrong way. 

Honestly, I think it's a mature way of looking at it. It doesn't mean these guys are not committed to football and won't be good players; just more so that they have a broader view on life earlier in life. Thibedoux has been in the limelight since he was in highschool being a No. 1 overall recruit, and maybe he's found ways to cope with that pressure already that some other guys haven't had to go through. 

Of course there will always be guys like Rashaun Woods that blow this up and make this a valid concern, but it doesn't mean that everyone who doesn't consider football their entire life is going to fail. I think a lot of problems we see with guys that retire and go off the deep end or have significant personal problems after their career is over is due to them not being able to transition from a career that has been their entire life to finding interests outside of football and filling that hole with something else.  

Absolutely it gets overblown. But with that kid, it was real. Woods basically checked out as soon as he got the checks. So much potential and he just faded away.... I believe fishing was his passion IIRC....

I will be watching every moment, writing every pick. It doesn't matter whether we pick tonight or not. It is the DRAFT! Which means CHRISTMAS IN APRIL for me! 😍

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Absolutely it gets overblown. But with that kid, it was real. Woods basically checked out as soon as he got the checks. So much potential and he just faded away.... I believe fishing was his passion IIRC....

I will be watching every moment, writing every pick. It doesn't matter whether we pick tonight or not. It is the DRAFT! Which means CHRISTMAS IN APRIL for me! 😍

Yup! My family knows to leave me alone for the next 3 days lol.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, GW21 said:

 re: 

I think this stuff gets overblown a bit. I remember last year something about Trevor Lawrence saying that he didn't need football to live a full life or something of that nature, and people took that as he didn't love football. I think KT said something similar, like 'football isn't my life' or something like that and people are taking it the wrong way. 

Honestly, I think it's a mature way of looking at it. It doesn't mean these guys are not committed to football and won't be good players; just more so that they have a broader view on life earlier in life. Thibedoux has been in the limelight since he was in highschool being a No. 1 overall recruit, and maybe he's found ways to cope with that pressure already that some other guys haven't had to go through. 

Of course there will always be guys like Rashaun Woods that blow this up and make this a valid concern, but it doesn't mean that everyone who doesn't consider football their entire life is going to fail. I think a lot of problems we see with guys that retire and go off the deep end or have significant personal problems after their career is over is due to them not being able to transition from a career that has been their entire life to finding interests outside of football and filling that hole with something else.  

I think the examples of guys that have fallen because of it and then succeeded are there. But in most cases where clear off the field incidents or injuries are not the reason for a drop the player in question doesn't really succeed. Is KT probably the most talented player in this class? Yeah i think so. Will he be the best NFL-player? Who knows. There is a reason looking back at a draft 3/4/5 years later is so different than the day after. On the other side of the coin you have the Raiders taking Clelin Ferrell because he was seen as a leader and all the other positive personality traits you can imagine where thrown out. 

 

Its kind of the same with prior injuries or where the athletic testing doesn't match the actual on field tape. Some will shine where others falter. Its impossible to predict how a player will continue to grow and how they will behave when they get that goal they set when they where young. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

No spoilers? Sorry, I've seen this movie already and have to share.

All 32 picks team up in the third act to take on the the main villain, Goodell, in the center of the stage. The owners join in to protect their Liege Lord and all 32 picks die fighting, but Goodell trips and falls off the stage and goes into a coma. The owners are all arrested and sent to the negative zone for permanent banishment from our realm for unspeakable crimes and improprieties. No post credits scene. 42% on Rotten Tomatoes. You're welcome.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

No spoilers? Sorry, I've seen this movie already and have to share.

All 32 picks team up in the third act to take on the the main villain, Goodell, in the center of the stage. The owners join in to protect their Liege Lord and all 32 picks die fighting, but Goodell trips and falls off the stage and goes into a coma. The owners are all arrested and sent to the negative zone for permanent banishment from our realm for unspeakable crimes and improprieties. No post credits scene. 42% on Rotten Tomatoes. You're welcome.

Its been honestly so long I don't remember anymore. What are Goodell's crimes again? Is it the Brady ball thing? Is it the collective bargaining agreements? Gotta say I don't hate the man at all even if I thought he was in the wrong at times.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Ftn49 said:

Its been honestly so long I don't remember anymore. What are Goodell's crimes again? Is it the Brady ball thing? Is it the collective bargaining agreements? Gotta say I don't hate the man at all even if I thought he was in the wrong at times.

I'm not really up on the Goodell hate, honestly. At this point he's probably saint compared to Rob Manfred, the MLB Commissioner.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...