Draft Day 1

Louis Friend

1 hour ago, Louis Friend said:

^ Yep, Lions seem content on running alot of 2-LB packages out there. Which is why someone like Sterling Weatherford in the 5th would be ideal. He can play that hybrid S/LB role. 

JoJo Doman is another I like in that DB/LB hybrid role.  He played a lot of CB at Nebraska but is 230.  Would be solid in the slot. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

JoJo Doman is another I like in that DB/LB hybrid role.  He played a lot of CB at Nebraska but is 230.  Would be solid in the slot. 

Why is it that nobody talks about Nakobe Dean as a LB/S hybrid.  He has the speed and agility to handle it.  His size and arm-length seem to make it a better fit.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I can see us adding someone like Kerby at 66 and Doman (listed as a LB) at 97 or in round 4 if we gain additional draft capital. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

Why is it that nobody talks about Nakobe Dean as a LB/S hybrid.  He has the speed and agility to handle it.  His size and arm-length seem to make it a better fit.

He definitely is and is why most of us want him at 32/34.  If he is available, I easily take him.  If not, there are similar skill set guys later in the draft who just arent as good athletically.  

• Like 1

I have my worksheet with prospects dating from 2011. It started off with just the combine guys and then some years I've been able to add guys from pro days pulling from different sources (PFF, WalterFootball, etc.). This year, I found either SportingNews or SI had the pro day results for what seems to be EVERY draft eligible player. There's like 2,000+ guys. It's insane. Anyway - this is a list of guys that would fulfill that LB/S role who are listed at either S or LB who fit in the 210 - 230 range with top 10% speed scores (which is a metric that factors in their 40 and their weight). There's a couple names we've heard and discussed (and guys the Lions have also brought in).

LB

• Devin Harper, Oklahoma State (top 30 visit) - 6'0, 234 lbs; 4.50 40 (114.13 speed score)
  • JoJo Domann, Nebraksa - 6'1, 230 lbs; 4.60 40 (102.74 speed score)
  • Vi Jones, NC State - 6'2, 225, 4.52 40 (107.81 speed score)
  • Brian Asamoah, Oklahoma (top 30 visit) - 6'0, 225; 4.56 40 (104.08 speed score)
  • Segun Olubi, San Diego State - 6'0, 225 lbs; 4.45 40 (114.76 speed score)
  • Nakobe Dean, Georgia - 5'11, 231 lbs; 4.74 40 (see article below) = 91.52 speed score

S

• Tariq Carpenter, Georgia Tech - 6'2, 230 lbs; 4.52 40 (110.21 speed score)
  • Nick Cross, Maryland - 6'0, 215 lbs; 4.34 40 (121.20 speed score) <<<<< 
  • Sterling Weatherford, Miami (OH) - 6'4, 224; 4.60 40 (100.06 speed score)
  • Markquese Bell, Florida A&M - 6'2, 212: 4.41 40 (112.10 speed score)

If that 40 time for Dean were to be remotely accurate, he would fall below the average for this draft class (4.79) - that's good. He'd still sit around the 50% mark for my list of 226 ILB's. 

https://www.sportingnews.com/au/nfl/news/nakobe-dean-georgia-comparison-height-nfl/aomilrxowmvrr8zzszmdhnd7

4 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

I have my worksheet with prospects dating from 2011. It started off with just the combine guys and then some years I've been able to add guys from pro days pulling from different sources (PFF, WalterFootball, etc.). This year, I found either SportingNews or SI had the pro day results for what seems to be EVERY draft eligible player. There's like 2,000+ guys. It's insane. Anyway - this is a list of guys that would fulfill that LB/S role who are listed at either S or LB who fit in the 210 - 230 range with top 10% speed scores (which is a metric that factors in their 40 and their weight). There's a couple names we've heard and discussed (and guys the Lions have also brought in).

LB

• Devin Harper, Oklahoma State (top 30 visit) - 6'0, 234 lbs; 4.50 40 (114.13 speed score)
  • JoJo Domann, Nebraksa - 6'1, 230 lbs; 4.60 40 (102.74 speed score)
  • Vi Jones, NC State - 6'2, 225, 4.52 40 (107.81 speed score)
  • Brian Asamoah, Oklahoma (top 30 visit) - 6'0, 225; 4.56 40 (104.08 speed score)
  • Segun Olubi, San Diego State - 6'0, 225 lbs; 4.45 40 (114.76 speed score)
  • Nakobe Dean, Georgia - 5'11, 231 lbs; 4.74 40 (see article below) = 91.52 speed score

S

• Tariq Carpenter, Georgia Tech - 6'2, 230 lbs; 4.52 40 (110.21 speed score)
  • Nick Cross, Maryland - 6'0, 215 lbs; 4.34 40 (121.20 speed score) <<<<< 
  • Sterling Weatherford, Miami (OH) - 6'4, 224; 4.60 40 (100.06 speed score)
  • Markquese Bell, Florida A&M - 6'2, 212: 4.41 40 (112.10 speed score)

If that 40 time for Dean were to be remotely accurate, he would fall below the average for this draft class (4.79) - that's good. He'd still sit around the 50% mark for my list of 226 ILB's. 

https://www.sportingnews.com/au/nfl/news/nakobe-dean-georgia-comparison-height-nfl/aomilrxowmvrr8zzszmdhnd7

PFF, TDN and FanSpeak don't even list Harper. CBS Sports via FanSpeak has him at #358. DraftScout.com gives him a top level 4th round grade.

PFF has him for their college grading - 75.1 OVR; 77.7 RDEF; 89.6 PRSH; 63.1 COV. Nearly 600 snaps in the box (LILB, LLB, RILB, RLB). 

I went to bed wanting KT.  Woke up wanting Hutch.  Had a beer and came to grips with being ok with either.  I honestly go back and forth.  

As far as 32/34 there's quite a few players I'd be good with but another option would be packaging those two and moving up for an impact player: Sauce, Stingley or maybe Hamilton if one of them slips and teams are willing to go on the cheap for a trade up.

24 minutes ago, Millenhater said:

I went to bed wanting KT.  Woke up wanting Hutch.  Had a beer and came to grips with being ok with either.  I honestly go back and forth.  

As far as 32/34 there's quite a few players I'd be good with but another option would be packaging those two and moving up for an impact player: Sauce, Stingley or maybe Hamilton if one of them slips and teams are willing to go on the cheap for a trade up.

I'm sure there would be a lot of people upset trading 32 and 34 for Sauce but that would be an unreal addition to this defense if you can pair him with Hutchinson. 

A trio of Sauce, Oruwariye and Okudah (hopefully he comes back and plays well) with the addition of Hutch on the DL would really up the talent level on this defense.