2022 Draft Thread

bMiller031

FWIW, Bridgewater apologist Jeff Legwold was on Altitude 92.5 the other day and said, regarding the draft, that George selected guys with skillsets that specifically match what Hackett and the staff felt they needed. That’s not profound, of course, any GM worth his salt would do the same, but that while some of the players might be viewed as “reaches” that the staff identified specific traits - football wise and intangible wise - and selects guys who had all, or very most, of them; that it’s all about matching skillset with culture.

He said it was a lot different than how Elway & Co would operate and, perhaps most importantly, it is a big endorsement that George is committed to Hackett long-term, rather than the hire and fire revolving door the team has had during the Elway regime.

The latter part, re:Elway and coaches, I do quibble with, as Kubes was a good hire who resigned due to health, Fox was a good hire but was fired as he couldn’t get a stacked roster to play to their ability and Vance and Vic were bad hires when they were made and Elway, rightfully, at least ditched Vance when he saw it wasn’t working. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

This is really cool.

Great watch! 

couple things that stood out. Bonitto, Dulcich, and Mathis were all mentioned at the end of day 1 as hopeful targets in day 2. 

despite what everyone feels on this board about Albert O and picking “another Move TE, Hackett repeated multiple times that Dulcich brings something to this team that we didn’t have. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

Great watch! 

couple things that stood out. Bonitto, Dulcich, and Mathis were all mentioned at the end of day 1 as hopeful targets in day 2. 

despite what everyone feels on this board about Albert O and picking “another Move TE, Hackett repeated multiple times that Dulcich brings something to this team that we didn’t have. 

I think the bit I found most interesting was when discussing where to go after the Bonitto pick, Paton says "now for a TE or CB" and Coach Evero says "or a big guy" - skip to 4.55 for this bit.

Our next 3 picks? TE, CB, DE (big guy). 

Now, those picks could still have been BPA. But I must say, I find it a rather large coincidence that the top players on our board were those 3 positions mentioned after our first pick.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lomaxgrUK said:

I think the bit I found most interesting was when discussing where to go after the Bonitto pick, Paton says "now for a TE or CB" and Coach Evero says "or a big guy" - skip to 4.55 for this bit.

Now, those picks could still have been BPA. But I must say, I find it a rather large coincidence that the top players on our board were those 3 positions mentioned after our first pick.

I thought he said, next up, hookers and prostitutes?  Or is my hearing starting to go? 

7 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

I would certainly feel skittish about that as well, if not for Paton specifically calling out all 3 of those guys after the first round. Clearly they were extremely high on those 3 before getting even close to their picks. Also, when they were on the clock at 3.80, Paton mentions choosing between two TE’s, so it’s very possible that after 2.64, they had those 2 in their top 5 BPA heading into the 3rd round, with an assumption that one of them would be the target a few picks later. 

On the other hand, the whole draft did seem overly needy. Maybe they were giving prospects that played positions of need a half-round bump because of it, which I wouldn’t really be in favour of. Paton had a great opportunity to hunt value in this draft, and I don’t think that played out. 

• Like 1

On 5/6/2022 at 2:26 PM, broncosfan_101 said:

I would certainly feel skittish about that as well, if not for Paton specifically calling out all 3 of those guys after the first round. Clearly they were extremely high on those 3 before getting even close to their picks. Also, when they were on the clock at 3.80, Paton mentions choosing between two TE’s, so it’s very possible that after 2.64, they had those 2 in their top 5 BPA heading into the 3rd round, with an assumption that one of them would be the target a few picks later. 

On the other hand, the whole draft did seem overly needy. Maybe they were giving prospects that played positions of need a half-round bump because of it, which I wouldn’t really be in favour of. Paton had a great opportunity to hunt value in this draft, and I don’t think that played out. 

I’ve argued this for years, but no one in the NFL drafts BPA.  Here and there you might find a pick that is, but every NFL team is drafting BPA at a position of need.  When you get into the 3rd round and the rest of the draft all of those players are graded identically.  It’s about BPA+ need.  Denver needed an edge, they needed a TE, they needed DB help, they needed DL help.  That’s what they targeted.

29 minutes ago, germ-x said:

I’ve argued this for years, but no one in the NFL drafts BPA.  Here and there you might find a pick that is, but every NFL team is drafting BPA at a position of need.  When you get into the 3rd round and the rest of the draft all of those players are graded identically.  It’s about BPA+ need.  Denver needed an edge, they needed a TE, they needed DB help, they needed DL help.  That’s what they targeted.

Well, with free agency and the turnover rate in the NFL, selecting BPA doesn't make as much sense as it did when there wasn't free agency. There is absolutely no loyalty in sports today

2 hours ago, Cutler06 said:

Well, with free agency and the turnover rate in the NFL, selecting BPA doesn't make as much sense as it did when there wasn't free agency. There is absolutely no loyalty in sports today

Exactly.  The draft is used to fill long term talent, but also fill immediate holes.  Denver needed depth all along the defense and that was the #1 target of this draft.  

Edited by germ-x

To go with that.  I liked this draft.  I think Bonitto was a steal at #64.  He has flaws but 6’3” 250 pound rushers with his production and athleticism are rarely there at that point in the draft.

Dulcich is arguably the best TE in the draft.  I thought TE could be an early target for Denver with Albert Os injuries.  Dulcich isn’t the athlete but he’s a damn good football player.

My favorite pick was actually Uwazurike.  6’6” 315.  Versatile.  Above average athlete.  Team leader.  Never really scratched the surface of what he could be.

To end, like previous drafts.  Denver is selecting team leaders.  Captains, like Uwazurike.  I think there is more value in that than we put credit into.  

• Like 6