Jets select Ahmad “Sauce” Gardner with the 4th pick

Abe56

Just now, jetsfan4life51 said:

So who gets benched?

Echols strong finish was for naught.  Hall getting benched? Just gave Reed a contract.  MCII benched? #4 overall not playing much?

They better pray Zach Wilson takes a step forward and no one cares about the defense.

Best three in your base package, but I'm expecting Sauce to emerge as our top guy sooner than later. Not gonna complain about having depth at CB in a passing league, but one could be a trade chip too or perhaps one converts to FS and serves as an upgrade over Ashtyn Davis. We also have to face Stefon Diggs and Tyreek Hill twice a year, we are equipped to game plan against them now.

1 minute ago, jetjuice said:

Best three in your base package, but I'm expecting Sauce to emerge as our top guy sooner than later. Not gonna complain about having depth at CB in a passing league, but one could be a trade chip too or perhaps one converts to FS and serves as an upgrade over Ashtyn Davis. We also have to face Stefon Diggs and Tyreek Hill twice a year, we are equipped to game plan against them now.

Not with our DL.

5 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

So who gets benched?

Echols strong finish was for naught.  Hall getting benched? Just gave Reed a contract.  MCII benched? #4 overall not playing much?

They better pray Zach Wilson takes a step forward and no one cares about the defense.

Would guess Hall and Echols go to 4 and 5

Not with our DL.

We have three more picks in the top 40 to address d-line and I'm fully expecting us to select at least one pass rusher. Are you gonna be mad about George Karlaftis, Perrion Winfrey, or Boye Mafe later?

1 minute ago, jetjuice said:

We have three more picks in the top 40 to address d-line and I'm fully expecting us to select at least one pass rusher. Are you gonna be mad about George Karlaftis, Perrion Winfrey, or Boye Mafe later?

Yes I don't like any of those three lol.  Maybe Karlaftis in the 2nd.  But I also don't like cascade effect.  We now have to take lesser talent at bigger needs (WR and DE).

Yes I don't like any of those three lol.  Maybe Karlaftis in the 2nd.  But I also don't like cascade effect.  We now have to take lesser talent at bigger needs (WR and DE).

You are crazy if you don't like any of those three, especially when the latter two shined in front of our coaches at the Senior Bowl.

Go WR at 10 that was the plan all along.

Edited by jetjuice

2 minutes ago, jetjuice said:

You are crazy if you don't like any of those three, especially when the latter two shined in front of our coaches at the Senior Bowl.

Go WR at 10 that was the plan all along.

Winfrey is good like Sauce, but we don't need that skillset IMO.  I won't be upset but Travis Jones is a much better fit for us.

Mafe is old and I didn't like anything.

Karlaftis I didn't like top 10 but I'm fine later.  He doesn't move the needle for me.

10 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

So who gets benched?

Echols finished 114 of 116 qualified CB in the league last year.  He's a 5th or 6th option on a good defense.  Hall will be our #3 CB.

It's pretty much consensus that he's a great player, so it's hard to be too disappointed with that. And if he's another Revis for us then obviously that would be amazing. And he certainly seems safer than Stingley.

I wanted best edge available and then best WR available. But most of all I just want good players on the team. I'm happy with any player that turns out good.

Our defense was trash last season. The coaching staff was afraid of our CBs that they often pulled guys back which caused us to be ran over. There was word that teams purposely targeted Bryce Hall all season claiming he had no ball skills.

Sauce Gardner has a strong chance to be a elite CB. While I didn't think this was something that would happen, typically they don't value Cbs like that. He was clearly a top talent and worthy of the pick. Douglas was definitely drafting best available. Our CB room looks legit now.