Pick 1 - #13 Overall - DT Jordan Davis

Kiltman

39 minutes ago, Broadway Joe said:

Yes and he still might pan out, but given the circumstances barring some injury to Dean and White (which is very possible) it won't be here. And what good does that do us? 

No reason he can't be still here after his contract. The payday won't be there if we're going by your thoughts. So he mine as well stay here and benefit from possibly staying in the same system and environment. I don't think white is in the long term plans. No one really outside of Dean and everyone that was drafted by us. The free agent guys are good as gone imo 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Do the Eagles have the best and deeps group of DTs in the NFL?  I would say probably yes.

Fletcher Cox, Milton Williams, Marvin Wilson, Noah Elliss

Javon Hargrave Jordan Davis, Marlon Tuipulotu,  Renell Wren

The addition of Jordan Davis provides crazy depth especially if he keeps his conditioning level up which I think he will.  Throw in Milton Williams who impressed last year and has great athletic potential.  Marvin Wilson also has upside, so does Elliss and Wren as well as Tuipulotu.  Not to mention Cox and Hargrave were arguably the best pair of DTs in the NFL last year, only issue is Cox could be on the decline but with the addition of Davis that could easily improve that situation.

The edge guys will have to stay healthy though, that is kind of a weakness considering how much they all seem to get hurt.  Kind of wish they would have addressed that in the draft because better edge rushers would make those interior guys really hard to stop.    

3 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Do the Eagles have the best and deeps group of DTs in the NFL?  I would say probably yes.

Fletcher Cox, Milton Williams, Marvin Wilson, Noah Elliss

Javon Hargrave Jordan Davis, Marlon Tuipulotu,  Renell Wren

The addition of Jordan Davis provides crazy depth especially if he keeps his conditioning level up which I think he will.  Throw in Milton Williams who impressed last year and has great athletic potential.  Marvin Wilson also has upside, so does Elliss and Wren as well as Tuipulotu.  Not to mention Cox and Hargrave were arguably the best pair of DTs in the NFL last year, only issue is Cox could be on the decline but with the addition of Davis that could easily improve that situation.

The edge guys will have to stay healthy though, that is kind of a weakness considering how much they all seem to get hurt.  Kind of wish they would have addressed that in the draft because better edge rushers would make those interior guys really hard to stop.    

Certainly would be near the top of the conversation. Going to interesting the odd man fronts they are shifting to.

Passing downs will look something like 

Reddick - BG - Hargrave - Cox - Sweat

Run heavy looking like this

Reddick - Cox/Williams - Davis - Hargrave - Sweat

And the nice thing is so many of those guys can move and shift so they aren’t necessarily stuck in a look ever.

On 6/5/2022 at 10:00 AM, Kiltman said:

Certainly would be near the top of the conversation. Going to interesting the odd man fronts they are shifting to.

Passing downs will look something like 

Reddick - BG - Hargrave - Cox - Sweat

Run heavy looking like this

Reddick - Cox/Williams - Davis - Hargrave - Sweat

And the nice thing is so many of those guys can move and shift so they aren’t necessarily stuck in a look ever.

Do the Eagles use that many 5 man fronts?  I thought they had a basic 4/3 defense.  Can Cox play at a DE spot?  I think Williams could but Cox at his age not sure that would be a good fit for him out there.  Hargrave had the best season of his career and 1st time Pro Bowler, but Cox is on the decline but still has flashes.  Not sure how much they will use Reddick in pass rush situations, they did not do that much at all with the OLBs they had last year.  

Barnett is ok but I am sure they would love for someone else to take his spot and sure Sweat might and who knows if Graham will be healthy.  Curious if they will be multiple in their D and at times have more of a 3/3/5 look with Cox, Davis and Hargrave on the inside and Sweat/Reddick on the outside and maybe one ILB who can run and five DBs.  Or have a 3/4 with ILBs being Kyzir White who can run and Dean who is great in coverage and has range also.  

DE Cox
NT Davis
DE Hargrave
OLB Reddick
ILB White
ILB Dean
OLB Sweat

That could be a hard group to handle, especially if Dean turns out, he was a total steal I think in the draft and would have been a lot higher but the medical stuff dropped him and scared teams away.  Also not running the 40 hurt, I bet he would have been in the 4.4 or 4.5 range potentially.  He absolutely plays that fast on the field.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Do the Eagles use that many 5 man fronts?  I thought they had a basic 4/3 defense.

Yes and we ran 3-4 looks too. We definitely didn’t do it as much as we would’ve liked to last year just based on personnel. We were more set up to run more traditional 4-3 fronts. But, Gannon since he came in has been preaching he wants to run a lot of multiple fronts.

On 6/5/2022 at 4:46 AM, Ozzy said:

Deepest, but not the best (I think Vea + healthy Hicks is #1. Or Aaron Donald and whoever lines up next to him)

Milton Williams has gotten overrated, imo, but the ceiling is nice. He was extremely inconsistent, and that will probably remain the case with his super short arms since he doesn't have Aaron Donald sumo strength or contact balance.

Cox has lost a step 2 years in a row. He's basically just a quality run stuffer as of last year. Hopefully he's still that, but his pass rush days are done and he can't really do his patented forklift bull rush anymore, or at least didn't last year.

Hargrave is really the only good all-around DT we have, but he mostly feasted on weaker OL's when he got sacks. We'll see if Milton can take a big step and if Jordan Davis can be more than a theoretical pass rusher based on his combine (or if Gannon will actually maximize his athleticism rather than just have him do what Fletcher Cox does in his scheme). I'm still pretty positive BAL round 3 pick Travis Jones will look just as good as Davis, and we should have taken Jermaine Johnson in the 1st instead. 

Marlon Tuipulotu should be in the USFL.

Edited by Jeezla

19 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

Deepest, but not the best (I think Vea + healthy Hicks is #1. Or Aaron Donald and whoever lines up next to him)

Milton Williams has gotten overrated, imo, but the ceiling is nice. He was extremely inconsistent, and that will probably remain the case with his super short arms since he doesn't have Aaron Donald sumo strength or contact balance.

Cox has lost a step 2 years in a row. He's basically just a quality run stuffer as of last year. Hopefully he's still that, but his pass rush days are done and he can't really do his patented forklift bull rush anymore, or at least didn't last year.

Hargrave is really the only good all-around DT we have. We'll see if Milton can take a big step and if Jordan Davis can be more than a theoretical pass rusher based on his combine (or if Gannon will actually maximize his athleticism rather than just have him do what Fletcher Cox does in his scheme). I'm still pretty positive BAL round 3 pick Travis Jones will look just as good as Davis, and we should have taken Jermaine Johnson in the 1st instead. 

Marlon Tuipulotu should be in the USFL.

No way it is the Bucs #1 with just two guys, depth has to count for something and Vea and Hicks have been both very hurt the past two years on and off, especially Hicks so not sure the Bucs can expect him to be great all season and fully healthy.  Could argue Hicks is a downgrade from Suh because at least Suh was typically out there and is arguably a better player at his best than Hicks.  And Hicks will not play the Vikings two times a year anymore so will not look like a future Hall of Famer which he did almost ever time he played Minnesota recently.  

Sure Aaron Donald but Gaines/Robinson are not great players, Robinson is very good but not sure he would be nearly as good without Donald on the DL.  Sure Cox has lost a bit but is still easily one of the top 5 DTs in the league if healthy.  

I do agree Travis Jones is an absolute steal for Baltimore and probably will be starting shortly, I would not be surprised if he takes the spot of Pierce at some point.  That was a great draft pick, but Jordan Davis is wildly talented, I believe personally he was never as in good of shape at Georgia as he was at the combine.  And if he keeps up his shape as a combine dude during the season his stamina will increase and so will his production.  He never showed that type of conditioning level at Georgia and it could greatly help his game but who knows maybe he ran 40s like that there but I doubt it.  

7 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Do the Eagles use that many 5 man fronts?  I thought they had a basic 4/3 defense.  Can Cox play at a DE spot?  I think Williams could but Cox at his age not sure that would be a good fit for him out there.  Hargrave had the best season of his career and 1st time Pro Bowler, but Cox is on the decline but still has flashes.  Not sure how much they will use Reddick in pass rush situations, they did not do that much at all with the OLBs they had last year.  

Barnett is ok but I am sure they would love for someone else to take his spot and sure Sweat might and who knows if Graham will be healthy.  Curious if they will be multiple in their D and at times have more of a 3/3/5 look with Cox, Davis and Hargrave on the inside and Sweat/Reddick on the outside and maybe one ILB who can run and five DBs.  Or have a 3/4 with ILBs being Kyzir White who can run and Dean who is great in coverage and has range also.  

DE Cox
NT Davis
DE Hargrave
OLB Reddick
ILB White
ILB Dean
OLB Sweat

That could be a hard group to handle, especially if Dean turns out, he was a total steal I think in the draft and would have been a lot higher but the medical stuff dropped him and scared teams away.  Also not running the 40 hurt, I bet he would have been in the 4.4 or 4.5 range potentially.  He absolutely plays that fast on the field.  

Shifting to it more, more odd front is what Gannon apparently wants to do with Reddick being like an all time rush backer. Keeping him clean to get in there more.

Its definitely like a hybrid looking one so they can shift in and out more

5 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

Shifting to it more, more odd front is what Gannon apparently wants to do with Reddick being like an all time rush backer. Keeping him clean to get in there more.

Its definitely like a hybrid looking one so they can shift in and out more

Anything that gives QB/DC more to think about game plan wise and with in game decision making I'm in favor of!!

Guess we'll see

32 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

easily one of the top 5 DTs in the league if healthy

Donald
Simmons
Vea
Chris Jones
Grady
Buckner
Jonathan Allen
Hargrave

Top 10 if he looks better than last year, but no longer top 5

39 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

Donald
Simmons
Vea
Chris Jones
Grady
Buckner
Jonathan Allen
Hargrave

Top 10 if he looks better than last year, but no longer top 5

Hard to rank them though because so many of those dudes play in a 3/4 and have far superior edge guys outside of him than Cox has.  Granted maybe the Eagles probably will drop Reddick down to provide a edge rusher better than Graham who is hurt a lot, Barnett who is just ok and Sweat who is good but also gets hurt.  Donald had Von Miller and Floyd outside him give or take, Vea had JPP, Tryon and Barrett helping him out not to mention Suh who arguably could be on this list.  Chris Jones was a DE was he not last year so not sure one can include him as a true DT.  Simmons is helped by Landry, Dupree outside of him, sure Buckner is legit in a 4/3 and Allen even though Allen is supported greatly by those around him.  Not sure Grady Jarrett should be included on that list at all.  Quinnen Williams should be on the list but kind of surprising he has not been better, but those edge rushers were awful last year for the Jets especially once Lawson got hurt so he was blocked up pretty well, and Kenny Clark is one of the best in the NFL also but he is asked to do different things and again is protected in a 3/4 with awesome outside rushers.  

And wasn't Fletcher Cox like greatly hurt all season long?  He sure looked like it and that is the reason for his bad play but maybe his body is breaking down as well.  Either way in terms of depth no team has more depth at DT than the Eagles do right now especially if a few of those young guys hit like Milton Williams, Marvin Wilson or Ellis.

Edited by Ozzy

11 hours ago, Kiltman said:

Just got around to watching this.

You already know I was probably the biggest proponent on here for him being the pick, so you already know I love him, but man every time he’s interviewed I come away thinking “man this dude is awesome…” like he has such great character like the humility, earnestness, and gregariousness. Dude is probably up there with Slay for funniest on the team. Just seems like he’s gonna be an Eagle legend if he gets close to his potential.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Just got around to watching this.

You already know I was probably the biggest proponent on here for him being the pick, so you already know I love him, but man every time he’s interviewed I come away thinking “man this dude is awesome…” like he has such great character like the humility, earnestness, and gregariousness. Dude is probably up there with Slay for funniest on the team. Just seems like he’s gonna be an Eagle legend if he gets close to his potential.

Yeah can’t help but love the kid, seems to be taking the on the field side seriously too. Looks good.

Gonna be a gap for that type of personality with BG and Fletch leaving soon, so nice to have a guy like him slide in.

• Like 1