With the 16th pick in the 2022 NFL Draft, the Washington Commanders select Jahan Dotson WR Penn State

MikeT14

What grade do you give the pick and trade?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Grade the trade. #11 for #16, #98, #120

2. 2. Grade the pick at #16 - Jahan Dotson

With the 16th pick in the 2022 NFL Draft, the Washington Commanders select Jahan Dotson WR Penn State

Washington traded down from 11 to 16 and picked up picks 98 and 120 along the way leaving guys like Olave, Hamilton, and Williams on the board. 

3edadca7-593c-46f3-9dcb-715938c37f42

5'11" 180 lbs

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/jahan-dotson/3200444f-5428-2798-d9f2-9e8608edcb8a 

Jahan (pronounced juh-HAHN) Dotson made an outstanding one-handed catch against Ohio State during the 2020 season, saying afterward: "I approach that (ball) as a million dollars. It's a million dollars in the air. If you want it, you go get it." Big Ten coaches appreciated his financial acumen, voting him third-team all-conference at receiver (PSU leader with 52 receptions, 884 yards, eight scores with 17.0 yards per catch in nine starts) and honorable mention as a punt returner (8-197-24.6, one TD). Dotson capped off his career with 2021 third-team Associated Press All-American and second-team All-Big Ten accolades at receiver, leading Penn State with 91 receptions and 1,182 receiving yards and tying for eighth in the country with 12 receiving scores in 12 starts (opted out of the team's bowl game to prepare for the NFL draft). He also received third-team all-league notice for his return abilities (14-104-7.4 punt returns). Dotson initially committed to UCLA as a top 150 overall recruit nationally but eventually decided to stay close to Nazareth, where he grew up. He played in eight games (12-203-15.6) with starts in the final four contests as a true freshman before starting all 13 appearances in 2019 (27-488-18.1, five TDs; 2-39-19.5 punt returns). Gloria Bigelow, Dotson's grandmother, with whom he was very close, passed away in April 2020. He wears a T-shirt with her image on the front for each game. -- by Chad Reuter

Overview
Finesse wideout with good speed and great athleticism who is fully operational on all three levels of the field. Dotson's passing scheme was well-designed and allowed for clear access to space for most of the season. His route-running is smooth but features speed changes and his in-air athleticism and ball skills look effortless. His confidence and competitiveness are just average against physical coverage and he's likely to see a lot more press looks as a pro. Dotson has inside/outside starting talent but a lack of physicality could prevent him from taking over games at the same rate we saw at Penn State.
Strengths
  • Instant acceleration to stem-and-go in his release.
  • Early juice creates earlier hip turn from coverage.
  • A single route can feature three-speed variance.
  • Slick and smooth on the move.
  • Talent to work all three levels of the field.
  • Potent second gear finding and maintaining deep-ball separation.
  • Agile, quick feet used on shake routes underneath.
  • Graceful leap-and-adjust when playing above the rim.
  • Gets to full extension for sudden grabs with large, strong hands.
  • Phone booth wiggle after the catch.
  • Talented punt returner with big-play potential.
Weaknesses
  • Not as comfortable working between the hashes.
  • Some stumble when upper body gets ahead of feet.
  • Drifting route breaks allow coverage to undercut.
  • Needs additional steps to break off intermediate comebacks.
  • Labors in adjustments to off-target throws in tracking phase.
  • Play strength issues show up against clingy coverage.
  • Allows too much intrusion into the catch area.
  • Brought down by arm tackles in open field.

‪Great pick! He’s got everything you want in a WR. Runs great routes, makes acrobatic catches while high pointing the ball and while he doesn’t have 4.3 speed, running a 4.4 is not slow or anything. Him running .4 slower than Olave & Wilson isn’t s big deal.‬

91 catches for 1,182 yds w/ 12 TDs last year.
4.43 40-yard dash.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, taylor made said:

download.jpg

I don't get it really. He's not really your ideal #2 to Terry. He's small

You’re focused way too much on size. Just bc he’s under 6’ doesn’t mean he’s not  really good WR. I’ve seen him play a lot, he’s really good. He’s been the top WR target at Penn State for 2 years, and maybe 3 years. He’s really athletic & makes some really acrobatic catches while high pointing the ball. He killed Ohio State every-time they played.

Edited by turtle28

5 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

You’re focused way too much on size. Just bc he’s under 6’ doesn’t mean he’s not  really good WR. I’ve seen him play a lot, he’s really good. He’s been the top WR target at Penn State for 3 years. He’s really athletic & makes some really acrobatic catches while high pointing the ball. He killed Ohio State every-time they played.

RAS above 8.0 has positive correlation to success in the first round. I'm not saying he can't be successful but being an average athletic 4 year college player is not a good thing IMO. Very limited upside. Hopefully Ron is gone after this year. He's clueless. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, taylor made said:

RAS above 8.0 has positive correlation to success in the first round. I'm not saying he can't be successful but being an average athletic 4 year college player is not a good thing IMO. Very limited upside. Hopefully Ron is gone after this year. He's clueless. 

The Goldbergs 1980S GIF by ABC Network

• Like 1

Initial reaction, not a fan of the pick but I could be biased, I live in PA, lots of Penn State fans, and I don't like Penn State.

After I calmed down, it's a solid pick, maybe a reach, but it's solid. Dotson is super versatile as a player, and I can't fault him on the career he really had at Penn State. Franklin is a bad offensive playcaller, and QB has always been kind of in flux or inconsistent.

I think there's real talent there. After London was gone, I didn't care which receiver it was. I am not big on Burks, so I was okay it not being him.

• Like 1

Just now, aceinthehouse said:

Jahan Dotson is about the same size as Odell Beckham Jr. (Give or take 5-10 lbs)

Just so you can compare. If he can play, we'll be good.

He’s about the same size as Garrett Wilson too. The YouTube they TaylorMade posted had the opinion that Dotson has the best hands in the draft an I’ve seen that first hand; it’s hard to argue with that. I think they’re similar players but Wilson is a bit faster & has a bit more upside but they play similarly.

They guy also compared Dotson to Emanuel Sanders, and I’ll take that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, turtle28 said:

He’s about the same size as Garrett Wilson too. The YouTube they TaylorMade posted had the opinion that Dotson has the best hands in the draft an I’ve seen that first hand; it’s hard to argue with that. I think they’re similar players but Wilson is a bit faster & has a bit more upside but they play similarly.

They guy also compared Dotson to Emanuel Sanders, and I’ll take that.

Hell, me too.

I'm actually ok, with this pick.