With the 16th pick in the 2022 NFL Draft, the Washington Commanders select Jahan Dotson WR Penn State

MikeT14

What grade do you give the pick and trade?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Grade the trade. #11 for #16, #98, #120

2. 2. Grade the pick at #16 - Jahan Dotson

Incidentally, he’s not Samuel at all. He’s (somewhat) poor man’s Olave. Not physical after the catch, which immediately distinguishes him from Samuel, who basically only gives you that. He’s somewhat elusive, but you’d expect more from a guy with his quicks and fluidity.

He’s a good route runner (not great), he has good speed (not great), and he has strong hands with a surprising catch radius for a smaller guy. Can’t really handle press coverage that well due to lack of play strength — they’ll probably have to move him around and maybe a lot of snaps out of the slot. 

He’s a fine player. I had him as WR6, sitting somewhere between 25 and 35 on my personal board. Would have loved him in the 2nd. It’s disappointing to me in the mid-1st. If he was their guy, trading down was the right choice — but I just don’t agree with them if he was “their guy.” For my money, Olave is a better version of him, and Jameson Williams has a substantially higher ceiling, as does Treylon Burks. I think Hamilton is a much better player, and Devin Lloyd is also better. Hard to get too excited, but I’m sure he’ll be solid. 

Edited by e16bball
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Vikings return >> Our return

I don’t think it’s even particularly close. Neither chart thinks it’s close either, and they’re based on normal drafts where it’s not comparatively weak at the top. 

98 and 120 are both longshots. They walked away with 3 picks in the strongest value area of this draft. We got Jahan Dotson and…a couple guys who we’ll just be hoping see the field at some point. I’m a big fan of trading down, but we took it right on the chin on this one today — worthy risk, maybe, but damn it turned out pretty badly. 

I will respectfully disagree.

The Vikings dropped from 12 to 32. Twenty Picks in the first round and they came out with moving up in the 2nd and an additional 3rd. Really bad return.
Vikings Value sent - 1200 + 440 =1640
Lions Value sent - 590 + 560 + 260 = 1410

Vikings came out with a significantly lower 1st (Draft Lewis Cine) and only picked up one additional pick.

Meanwhile our trade was from 11 to 16. Only a five pick drop and netted us two additional picks a late 3rd and middle 4th.
Commanders Value sent - 1250
Saints Value sent - 1000 + 108 +54 = 1162

We came out with two valuable picks that we didn't have at the start of the draft and ended up getting the position they wanted (WR Jahan Dotson). Whether I like the selection or not fully depends on what they do with the rest of the draft (and what the 3rd and 4th end up being), but we in no way got the worse end of the trade stick between us and the Vikings.

• Like 1

You guys are getting a great player. I had a little hope Dotson would fall to the second for my Browns. Best hands in the draft. I think he’s going to be a star, but I am surprised you guys picked him. 

I hope Wentz does well because Dotson will be a great player if he has solid qb play. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

I will respectfully disagree.

The Vikings dropped from 12 to 32. Twenty Picks in the first round and they came out with moving up in the 2nd and an additional 3rd. Really bad return.
Vikings Value sent - 1200 + 440 =1640
Lions Value sent - 590 + 560 + 260 = 1410

Vikings came out with a significantly lower 1st (Draft Lewis Cine) and only picked up one additional pick.

Meanwhile our trade was from 11 to 16. Only a five pick drop and netted us two additional picks a late 3rd and middle 4th.
Commanders Value sent - 1250
Saints Value sent - 1000 + 108 +54 = 1162

We came out with two valuable picks that we didn't have at the start of the draft and ended up getting the position they wanted (WR Jahan Dotson). Whether I like the selection or not fully depends on what they do with the rest of the draft (and what the 3rd and 4th end up being), but we in no way got the worse end of the trade stick between us and the Vikings.

I didn’t know the Vikings sent back pick 46. I thought it was just 12 for 32, 34, and 66. One of the downsides of trying to keep up with the draft from Bourbon Street, it seems 😂

In that case, you’re dead right. Pretty terrible deal for MIN, that’s just silly stuff. Unless they had Cine and Hamilton basically interchangeable, which I’d find hard to imagine, they got rocked. 

• Like 1

Dotson excels most in open space, where he can turn on his speed and leave defenders with only a view of the back of his uniform. Ten of his 21 career receiving touchdowns at school were for more than 40 yards. He's also an adept punt returner, something the Commanders could really use.”

This is from NBC4, Pete Hailey article. Not sure why but the link won’t post.

Edited by turtle28

5 hours ago, mar29020 said:

problem is we might look back in a year and think man we passed on a pro bowl reciever 

Or… OR, we may look back in a year & think, “Man, we drafted a pro bowl WR!”

Honestly, I don’t see any of these WRs being pro bowlers in the first few years of their careers, none of these guys are like a Calvin Johnson type etc but, I think they’re all going to be good starters - maybe more.

Its hard to imagine that Olave in New Orleans is going to have a pro bowl type year considering they have Michael Thomas & Marquez Callaway - who was a Jameis favorite last year - already. They also have Tre’Quan Smith as well.

I’m shocked the Saints didn’t take Pickett or Willis, when they traded up, I thought that’s what they were doing. I think it was a bad decision by their front office to trade up for a WR in this draft when the top ones all grade out about the same IMO.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, e16bball said:

Incidentally, he’s not Samuel at all. He’s (somewhat) poor man’s Olave. Not physical after the catch, which immediately distinguishes him from Samuel, who basically only gives you that. He’s somewhat elusive, but you’d expect more from a guy with his quicks and fluidity.

He's not Samuel, correct. My concern is them having a similar role though. 

5 hours ago, e16bball said:

He’s a fine player. I had him as WR6, sitting somewhere between 25 and 35 on my personal board. Would have loved him in the 2nd. It’s disappointing to me in the mid-1st. If he was their guy, trading down was the right choice — but I just don’t agree with them if he was “their guy.” For my money, Olave is a better version of him, and Jameson Williams has a substantially higher ceiling, as does Treylon Burks. I think Hamilton is a much better player, and Devin Lloyd is also better. Hard to get too excited, but I’m sure he’ll be solid. 

This paragraph sums up my feelings quite nicely. 

I've slept on it, and I'm still just not totally on board. Had we shattered that trade better, I would have been okay with it, but I also think we didn't get enough out of the trade. Even holding out for a pick swap in the later rounds in addition would have been nice (getting 3 picks in the 6th in this draft would be great even if we sacrificed our 7th to do it). Could have been worse. Could have been the Minnesota trade. 

Dotson is a fine player, but I wanted closer to a sure thing, that compliments Terry and crew better and I'm not sure he is that for us. 

10 hours ago, taylor made said:

RAS above 8.0 has positive correlation to success in the first round. I'm not saying he can't be successful but being an average athletic 4 year college player is not a good thing IMO. Very limited upside. Hopefully Ron is gone after this year. He's clueless. 

Every player we had was over 8 last year except Bates and behind Cosmi (when on the field) was our best rookie. This guy is a football player who on tape is a beast. Does that score grade seperation on a route? Does it grade contested catch ability? Does it grade Rac and his ability to make guys miss and football instincts? This guy can play football we just got better in the WR room. Come Sundays he will be loved this guy has game.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, offbyone said:

This is my biggest issue with the pick and also why I wanted a guy like Drake London at WR.

Can we trade Samuel?  Eat his contract, get a 2nd. (baltimore maybe)

He’s not worth a 2nd.  Now granted Hollywood Brown isn’t worth a 1st so what do I know.

I guess my biggest issue with Dotson is how much better is he than Watson or Metchie? I don't even think he is if we're being honest here. Probably a similar tier of player. So why not just trade back again if this is what you were going to do? Is Dotson a draft-breaking player if you don't get him? The roster has holes everywhere and I understood going for a receiver if you were getting one of the big fish but we basically just zoned in on the position and took what they deemed was left. Just insane. 

4 minutes ago, Jeezy Fanatic said:

I’m not a draft evaluator, so my opinion doesn’t mean anything, but IMO the difference between Olave and Dotson is worth more than a late 3rd/4th. I’m far more confident Olave will be a good NFL WR

Yes. Same thinking with me.