With the 16th pick in the 2022 NFL Draft, the Washington Commanders select Jahan Dotson WR Penn State

MikeT14

What grade do you give the pick and trade?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Grade the trade. #11 for #16, #98, #120

2. 2. Grade the pick at #16 - Jahan Dotson

7 hours ago, brownie man said:

You guys are getting a great player. I had a little hope Dotson would fall to the second for my Browns. Best hands in the draft. I think he’s going to be a star, but I am surprised you guys picked him. 

I hope Wentz does well because Dotson will be a great player if he has solid qb play. 

Sounds like Dotson can accommodate for subpar QB play, so that's a plus for us too. 

I don't know who Mark Tyler is ( Bleacher Report ) much more than I knew who Dotson was . But he sure praises everything about the Pick . They turned that pick in so fast- musta been really happy with the tradedown and getting the guy they wanted . I'm keeping an open mind. 

Wideout ( and punt returner ) were a need so is what it is . 

https://www.hogshaven.com/2022/4/29/23048176/washington-commanders-select-penn-state-receiver-jahan-dotson-tylers-take

Edited by RSkinGM
more info

@MikeT14 FWIW I voted B on both the trade and the player. I like that they dropped only a few spots and picked up two additional picks. I know that people poopoo the picks because they are "essentially both 4th rounders". Let's not act like very good talent hasn't been found in the 4th round. I probably would have preferred their 2nd round pick with it, but they undoubtedly wouldn't have given a 3rd pick with the 2nd and we may have had to throw in a late pick to entice them to accept. 

As for the player, I had him as my 6th ranked WR behind Williams, London, Wilson, Olave and Pickens. Williams and Pickens would have been iffy selections for me because injury history and personality issues. That leaves Wilson and Olave. With Wilson going to the Jets and the Saints trading up with us to get Olave, I'm really not too upset with the pick. I would have rather gone a different position for sure, but who is to say that the Eagles werent going to take Dotson right behind us? 

I think a B grade for both is fair.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

He’s a humble guy. They had him on NFLN last week and they kept asking him what he thought about this WR class and where he stacked up and he just said he was honored to be mentioned with this group of top guys because of their skill sets. He didn’t compare his game he just said he love to work at being the best he can be on and off the field to do whatever his team needed. I’m very happy because Terry is built that way. Having guys with that type of mental makeup are what change teams because they become brothers. I’m excited to see the way Scott opens up this offense with a group of fast explosive guys who can catch run precise routes and can all make plays with the ball in their hands.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

I’m very happy because Terry is built that way. Having guys with that type of mental makeup are what change teams because they become brothers.

Great post and point. You can't complain about getting T-Mac 2.0 from a character perspective if we do in fact get that. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MikeT14 said:

Great post and point. You can't complain about getting T-Mac 2.0 from a character perspective if we do in fact get that. 

Its also a great trait for a #2 wr to have.  Cause Terry's always going to be "the guy" here.  

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

He’s a humble guy. They had him on NFLN last week and they kept asking him what he thought about this WR class and where he stacked up and he just said he was honored to be mentioned with this group of top guys because of their skill sets. He didn’t compare his game he just said he love to work at being the best he can be on and off the field to do whatever his team needed. I’m very happy because Terry is built that way. Having guys with that type of mental makeup are what change teams because they become brothers. I’m excited to see the way Scott opens up this offense with a group of fast explosive guys who can catch run precise routes and can all make plays with the ball in their hands.

The problem I forsee and I didnt want to put it out there is that my comparison for him is Terry McLaurin. Obviously he isnt as fast as McLaurin, but he is a solid route runner, effective with the ball in his hands, willing blocker, leader by example. I fear that our dumb staff are preparing to lose Terry McLaurin. 

1 minute ago, MKnight82 said:

Its also a great trait for a #2 wr to have.  Cause Terry's always going to be "the guy" here.  

You know honestly I’ve always said it’s better to have a great corp then a super amazing 1 and jags. We had Monk, Clark and the posse. These guys can be possession  guys. They can go get it. They can Rac and they all have dog. Terry is def our guy but I think when this group gets better QB play they all will be loved as a group and that’s what I’m most excited for. 

Just now, ripsean21 said:

You know honestly I’ve always said it’s better to have a great corp then a super amazing 1 and jags. We had Monk, Clark and the posse. These guys can be possession  guys. They can go get it. They can Rac and they all have dog. Terry is def our guy but I think when this group gets better QB play they all will be loved as a group and that’s what I’m most excited for. 

Well I think the league showed last night that a lot of these teams don't think its worth paying #1 WR money. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

The problem I forsee and I didnt want to put it out there is that my comparison for him is Terry McLaurin. Obviously he isnt as fast as McLaurin, but he is a solid route runner, effective with the ball in his hands, willing blocker, leader by example. I fear that our dumb staff are preparing to lose Terry McLaurin. 

I actually believe this Staff is going to do whatever it takes to Pay Terry. I believe Terry’s agent was smart enough to advise Terry to maximize his value by allowing other guys this year to determine the market. What AJ Brown got was the deal I said months ago before FA is a realistic Contract knowing that contracts go up. Terry is worth every penny we’re going to give him I thing this staff and his agent want Terry to be happy knowing he got a fair deal. Sometimes these guys sign early then things happen. If Terry had of signed for 20 per early like in March then watched this offseason and had regrets after because he got knocked down due to being early to sign. We want Terry to be happy with his deal because the person he is he’s going to always be the hardest worker. Let him get the best deal that he’s earned and being who he is he will honor it. I’m not worried

4 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Well I think the league showed last night that a lot of these teams don't think its worth paying #1 WR money. 

I mean AJ Brown has had knee issues back too college. He’s elite. But if they wonder about his long term avalibility when the last two years he’s had nagging knee things that’s not something you want to be married too if it’s a genuine concern. Terry isn’t just special on the field you have his mental off and that is what makes you say okay. Terry has been producing with the likes of Keemun, one leg Alex, Taylor, Kyle Allen. When a guy works his tail off doesn’t complain and talks about his teammates and plays like him you pay that guy. He’s a true leader and Captain. He’s a guy you can win with and we are lucky he’s the guy these young WR’s get to line up and grow with.