AJ Brown traded to Eagles

615finest

26 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

And key thing is that those other guys actually worked with the team. AJ didn't. He cut off communication. 

Deebo was far more public with wanting out than AJ ever was. They just waited it out and let the market sort itself. Which was always an option for us. Especially with a year on the contract and then a tag. We just didn’t value him like other teams are valuing receivers of his level. It’s taken me awhile to accept that, but it’s what it is.

• Like 1

Like, AJ isn’t a victim here. He’s an immature dude that has handled all of this the way one would expect an immature dude to handle it. But our hand wasn’t forced. He wasn’t going to not play this year. It was a decision the team made that the other teams with young, very good receivers that were threatening holdouts didn’t.

6 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

Like, AJ isn’t a victim here. He’s an immature dude that has handled all of this the way one would expect an immature dude to handle it. But our hand wasn’t forced. He wasn’t going to not play this year. It was a decision the team made that the other teams with young, very good receivers that were threatening holdouts didn’t.

one thing i will say about AJ's relative value here is that deebo and DK both dwarf him in terms of actually being on the field. AJ averaged something like 50% of our offensive snaps thru his career here, which is shockingly low for any receiver looking to be valued at top dollar (deebo and DK both in the 70-80 range iirc). so from that standpoint, i kind of get it. still would've just waited it out tho

14 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

one thing i will say about AJ's relative value here is that deebo and DK both dwarf him in terms of actually being on the field. AJ averaged something like 50% of our offensive snaps thru his career here, which is shockingly low for any receiver looking to be valued at top dollar (deebo and DK both in the 70-80 range iirc). so from that standpoint, i kind of get it. still would've just waited it out tho

As we get further from it, I’m able to remove some of the emotion and at least accept it. A physical player with consistently nagging leg injuries is a risky investment. It’s an investment I’d have made, because 24/25 year old true game changers are rare and incredibly difficult to find. And losing one before his prime is brutal. But, I can see the argument. Especially when he’s getting paid the same as the other young guys that match his production without the risk.

Just don’t agree with the idea that he left us with no choice. Young players that haven’t made a ton of money yet just don’t really have that kind of power.

13 hours ago, titans0021 said:

Deebo was far more public with wanting out than AJ ever was. They just waited it out and let the market sort itself. Which was always an option for us. Especially with a year on the contract and then a tag. We just didn’t value him like other teams are valuing receivers of his level. It’s taken me awhile to accept that, but it’s what it is.

I agree should have waited him out.

But AJ deal set up the other deals in my opinion.  We were going to give him a very fair deal that put him there with Godwin. 

• 3 months later...

I am officially over it. 

Lots of players love it here and love playing for Vrabel. I want to root for those players. We have created a great culture that will live on past AJ. This isn't some earthquake moment.

I believe Trey can be something special for us. He has great tools. We just need to see it out. And maybe we get more weapons next draft.

My total recount of this whole thing.
Like everyone I was shocked and mad at the whole deal. 

I blame Arthur for wanting to leave. I blame the Titans for letting him leave.  We made it too easy on him. 
What I pieced together from what was seen and unseen is that:

We offered him a deal that would have paid him similar to Goodwin in TB. Annual $20 million. Where is about now.
That was where he broke off talks and refused to talk anymore.
Got on the phone with his boy in Philly. Hurts talked to GM. "Hey, he wants to leave, can you make a deal?" 
He didn't like the structure of our deal and he had his mind made up as soon as he saw Philly was a real option. 

He didn't want to be here, but he would have loved to stay.  He loved the idea of playing with Hurts and liked the idea of Philly. 

My whole way of looking at it is, players leave all the time. Short term it sucks so bad that he isn't here this year. 
Long term, I don't feel it will be a big as deal as people make it seem.  People make it sound like we will never be able to pass the ball again (if we ever choose to do so instead of running it 500 times). 

I just think it will play out to be seen that it wasn't as bad as an idea as people think. 

It was a bad trade. 

But with Robinson, thinking on his history and how he operates, I just have to believe it got bad for him to even be ok with trading him. 

EDIT:
The trade paved the way for us to take Burks, McCreary, NPF, Phillips and Willis. 

Seeing how mad Vrabel was and some of the comments he's made about the WRs lately makes me wonder if he doesn't blame Robinson as much as some of the fans do.

Unless we just get extremely lucky with Burks, I think this will go down as the worst trade in franchise history.

You can get over a few bad drafts as a GM as long as they're not all bad, but this one will be hard to erase from anyone's memory, even the HC's apparently.

Vrabel shouldn’t be in a position to blame anyone, IMO. His system minimizes WRs. I doubt we see this trade if we actually pass the ball enough to make AJ worth the investment.

Install a modern ******* offense and we probably don’t see that trade imo.

Just to be clear, I don’t think JRob is off the hook at all. He should have drafted more receiver/TE capital in this year and last year’s draft so we aren’t so thin throughout (and that’s not even getting into the draft misses). He’s still a big ******* part of the problem, just not as big a part in this trade, specifically.

Edited by Daniel

The modern offense thing seems like an excuse to me. AJB had 3000 yards over 3 seasons here. He took over numerous games that we just do not win without him. We saw what our offense looked like without him against the Jets last year.

The problem with not passing more is that we only had AJB. In 2019 and 2020, when we had Corey Davis and Jonnu Smith, we had one of the better passing offenses in the league and Tannehill was one of the more efficient QBs in the league. We lost all of our weapons and started throwing to NWI and Julio Jones' ghost and then we regressed to a more scared offense.

Not to mention Downing just has not been a good play-caller and seems to have very little feel for the game or understanding of how detrimental running on 2nd and long is, but it's hard to even fault him that much because he's working with absolutely nothing in terms of skill players or offensive line. There's not a lot that we can really do without exposing ourselves.

Edited by TitanSS