2022 Ravens Draft - 14th Pick - Kyle Hamilton

coordinator0

5 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Does anyone have an idea what this does with Chuck Clark? Or does this just give us the ability to play Hamilton/Williams deep and move Chuck closer to the LoS and then play Stephens more in the slot?

I think stephens is most affected (more CB). Guessing we’ll be in dime with chuck close to LoS as much as possible. Hamilton could also play some star in base nickel.  

Edited by sp6488
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Does anyone have an idea what this does with Chuck Clark? Or does this just give us the ability to play Hamilton/Williams deep and move Chuck closer to the LoS and then play Stephens more in the slot?

Yes, that. I think this ends up eliminating most of the "need" the Ravens had for another LB. Clark and Hamilton can swing down to the LoS depending on what's more needed for the play/opponent. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, wackywabbit said:

Yeah, he said in his presser that it reminded him of those years under Ozzie where a player that was highly ranked unbelievably just fell into their laps.

He then went on to say that even if another team had called them they likely would not have traded the pick... that’s how much they loved Hamilton. What’s more, he mentioned that no other team did call them however, the other two times where that happened were for Ronnie Stanley and for Marlon Humphrey... and he mentioned that he hoped this turned out in a similar vein.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Very very happy with the Hamilton pick, but this brings up a point (the impact on Stephens) that I've been wanting to share in here for a while.
I just don't see it with Stephens. Like, at all. Granted, he was a rookie learning a new position, but this video breakdown kind of backs up what I noticed in real-time last year. I just can't for the life of me see what other Ravens fans (mostly on twitter) are seeing when they talk about using him as a "chess piece" or matchup guy. To me, he looks slow. It doesn't appear that he has nearly enough twitch or change of direction to cover guys 1-1, especially not in the slot.

I even think the breakdown was a little overly optimistic and positive with what he was showing vs. how he was talking about him. Time and time again he is 3-4 yards behind or away from his assignment almost instantaneously. I truly just don't see what he's good at. The further he gets away from the LOS, the worse he seems to be, and I don't see anyway from what is broken down above that he can hang in man coverage with anyone other than below-average league TEs.

I don't want to turn this thread into a negative though; I love this Hamilton pick. And I think it's going to improve our defense a ton. Just wanted to tell everyone my thoughts on Stephens. Certainly hope he improves, but I just don't see it with him. And I'm happy we don't have to shoehorn him onto the field after this Kyle pick.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, coordinator0 said:

Yes, that. I think this ends up eliminating most of the "need" the Ravens had for another LB. Clark and Hamilton can swing down to the LoS depending on what's more needed for the play/opponent. 

While this is how I see it most likely playing out, I do wonder what we do with our glut of safeties.

Currently we have:

Williams/Chuck/Hamilton/Stephens/Stone/TJ/Washington.

Would think the guy there with the most value in a trade is Chuck. Wonder if they might try and see if a team was willing to part with a day 3 pick for him?

21 minutes ago, RavensTillIDie said:

While this is how I see it most likely playing out, I do wonder what we do with our glut of safeties.

Currently we have:

Would think the guy there with the most value in a trade is Chuck. Wonder if they might try and see if a team was willing to part with a day 3 pick for him?

Re: Chuck - With the green dot situation, that could be a no-go for Harbaugh and the staff. They rave about his ability to call plays/be the leader of the defense so I'd be shocked if they end up trading him. Especially considering guys like Queen ideally aren't going to be on the field every play.

Re: Washington - I think he goes into camp fighting for the starting slot CB position, personally, depending on what we do at CB the rest of this draft. His change of direction and quickness could prove to be Tavon-esque imo

Edited by Ray Reed
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, RavensTillIDie said:

Currently we have:

17 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

Re: Chuck - With the green dot situation, that could be a no-go for Harbaugh and the staff. They rave about his ability to call plays/be the leader of the defense so I'd be shocked if they end up trading him. Especially considering guys like Queen ideally aren't going to be on the field every play.

Re: Washington - I think he goes into camp fighting for the starting slot CB position, personally, depending on what we do at CB the rest of this draft. His change of direction and quickness could prove to be Tavon-esque imo

The way I see it, our depth chart looks like this right now:

Safeties (5): Williams, Clark, Hamilton, Stone, Jefferson

DB (1): Stephens

CB (3): Humphrey, Peterson, Washington (nickel)

Basically there's room to add 2x more CBs in this draft, hoping for one more traditional boundary type guy and one more slot-like guy.

As far as what we run scheme-wise, thinking that we have a "base" defense that's a 4-2 nickel with Hamilton as the NCB/'star.' Might run a big nickel variation as well with 3 DL, 2 EDGE, 1 ILB (Queen) and then 5 DBs. Will probably run a lot of Dime and Quarter as well. 

Edited by sp6488
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, sp6488 said:

The way I see it, our depth chart looks like this right now:

Safeties (5): Williams, Clark, Hamilton, Stone, Jefferson

DB (1): Stephens

CB (3): Humphrey, Peterson, Washington (nickel)

Basically there's room to add 2x more CBs in this draft, hoping for one more traditional boundary type guy and one more slot-like guy.

As far as what we run scheme-wise, thinking that we have a "base" defense that's a 4-2 nickel with Hamilton as the NCB/'star.' Might run a big nickel variation as well with 3 DL, 2 EDGE, 1 ILB (Queen) and then 5 DBs. Will probably run a lot of Dime and Quarter as well. 

Not going to include Iman Marshall making his long awaited 4th year debut at CB? I kid. I kid. 😄

Just now, RavensTillIDie said:

Not going to include Iman Marshall making his long awaited 4th year debut at CB? I kid. I kid. 😄

:)

In all seriousness, if it comes down to a battle between Marshall and UDFAs, he could feasibly win the job (although, we would have to consider the value of having the UDFA for 4-years).

38 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

I just don't see it with Stephens. Like, at all. Granted, he was a rookie learning a new position, but this video breakdown kind of backs up what I noticed in real-time last year. I just can't for the life of me see what other Ravens fans (mostly on twitter) are seeing when they talk about using him as a "chess piece" or matchup guy.

😂 'Chess Piece'.  God bless some of our fans man. That reminds me of the "Jaylon Ferguson is actually a really good interior rusher though" nonsense. The fanbase will often just construct some fantasy skillset for players that fail to make an impact. Coping mechanism imo.

You'll notice Brandon Stephens down and to the far left-

I believe he allowed 100% of the targets against him in the slot to be caught lost year.

Stephens is a STer, backup Safety, and I suppose emergency CB. Past that he's not really relevant and I don't expect to see much if any of him in 22'. Was always a highly questionable pick imo.

• Like 3