#12 pick in 2022 NFL draft- Jameson Williams, WR

Louis Friend

These are my concerns with Williams.  Keep in mind I've only seen a little but this is what has stood out to me:

He's thin.  Like super thin.  I don't feel like he will hold up against NFL hits and I don't see room to add any weight.

He's fast but I think like it's North and South fast.  He doesn't seem dynamic in the sense of twitch and wiggle.  

He is absolutely worthless as a blocker.  Worthless.

I don't know if he will be able to get off press from NFL CBs

He reminds me of Hollywood Brown coming out(even the ACL)  I know the cardinals were dumb and just gave up a 1st for him but he has not been great in the NFL and can't get off press.

Hope I'm wrong on this but just not a fan.  We seem to constantly pick players with our second pick that I don't like so whatever.

4 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

Apparently, Aaron Rodgers was on McAfee during the draft, said Packers had 6 1st round graded WRs and they were all gone by the time the Packers picked. He stated Jameson Williams was the most NFL ready WR in the draft. 

Williams has elite speed and vision. He isn't all that built but he breaks a lot of tackles too. If it weren't for the acl he would've definitely been the top wide receiver taken. I can see Goff hitting Williams deep off of play action quite a few times and that threat is going to draw a lot of attention to open it up for other guys underneath.

1 minute ago, Superduperman said:

I have to be honest, I think he compares pretty favorably to Devonta Smith. Smith was more experienced and is a more polished route runner, but Williams is taller, faster, more of a deep threat. Both are skinny.

That was the comp I was thinking.  He is faster and bigger but probably not as good if hands or moves with the ball.  Both are under weight for their height and Smith had a solid rookie year.  I would have been ok with Watson and someone else at 34/66 but ok with moving up. 

2 hours ago, Millenhater said:

If you told me we walked away from this draft with Hutch, Hamilton, a 2nd round pick and we only lost 66 I'd tell you this was a great draft.  If you tell me we could have had that but we went this route...eh not thrilled.  I'm going to watch more Williams.  I've only watched a little but I'm always apprehensive about thin WR with somewhat suspect hands(and with a late season (the latest) ACL).  I'll dig in more and see if I change my mind by tomorrow.

Jameson Williams' longest receptions per game: 94, 18, 29, 81, 26, 32, 75, 65, 58, 50, 79, 34, 67, 20, 40. You read that right. That’s 8 games with a reception over 50 yards; 6 games with a reception over 70 yards. And those are the ones he caught.”

I’ll take a dude who can fly and get open deep.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Millenhater said:

These are my concerns with Williams.  Keep in mind I've only seen a little but this is what has stood out to me:

He's thin.  Like super thin.  I don't feel like he will hold up against NFL hits and I don't see room to add any weight.

He's fast but I think like it's North and South fast.  He doesn't seem dynamic in the sense of twitch and wiggle.  

He is absolutely worthless as a blocker.  Worthless.

I don't know if he will be able to get off press from NFL CBs

He reminds me of Hollywood Brown coming out(even the ACL)  I know the cardinals were dumb and just gave up a 1st for him but he has not been great in the NFL and can't get off press.

Hope I'm wrong on this but just not a fan.  We seem to constantly pick players with our second pick that I don't like so whatever.

He's got plenty of twitch and wiggle

• Like 1

Not sure how anyone wouldn’t be on board with this one. The trade itself is an absolute steal. I was pretty uneasy when they announced the trade only because I assumed we gave up what it would traditionally have taken to make that kind of leap ( and worried they would take a qb) but this was amazing value.  Getting 46 back crazy

As far as the player, without the injury he was easily the best wr in this draft imo.  He’s almost a hybrid of D.Smith with Waddle explosivenesses.  His acceleration/ stop start speed is absolutely elite.  Great route runner.  Great after the catch.  Now if you only watch his highlights your probably just going to see him catch a bunch of deep balls because he did that, a lot.  His route running is very underrated he is just so smooth with it, very good at creating separation in the red zone. Change of direction is almost seem less, there’s no violent foot plant and explode when he changes direction it’s just smooth.  Great trade, great pick. 

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, Nnivolcm said:

I disagree. I'd rather have 32/34/66 over 12/46. 

There's this thing called a trade value chart. 32 and 34 have the same value as #14. They got #12 for those picks, plus flipped 66 into 46. I get your personal preference, but by the standards of the league, which aren't subjective, it was an excellent deal.

Another way to look at it, is that the #32 pick comes from the Stafford trade. This year they chose to use that pick to move up 22 slots from 34 to 12 and 20 slots from 66 to 46. I'm absolutely fine with that strategy.

Edited by Superduperman
  • Like 3