Round 1 Pick 22; Quay Walker, LB Georgia

Packerraymond

5 minutes ago, Green19 said:

Dude literally fits everything Gb likes in first rounds… outside of being a position they don’t traditionally value.

So there is hope for a first round WR… one day.

So much for my hope of restocking the WR room with top draft talent. Oh well.

Just now, Leader said:

So much for my hope of restocking the WR room with top draft talent. Oh well.

I know and it sucks. Positive there are some dudes on day 2 to get very excited for.

One of the classic draft strategy is get all the crazy freaks on defense in the first. Seems like Gute is very much in that mind.

Just now, Green19 said:

I know and it sucks. Positive there are some dudes on day 2 to get very excited for.

One of the classic draft strategy is get all the crazy freaks on defense in the first. Seems like Gute is very much in that mind.

Oh listen....I've got nothing against who we did draft. I know less about them than I actually do know.......so I'm good trusting the FO to make those selections and you'll hear nothing bad about them from me. 

I was simply hoping that this year (of all years......) we'd finally break out of the mold and nab a top WR talent.

Now - Pickens is reputed to be a top talent that dropped because of the ACL and potential personality stuff. GREAT! Just the guy we need "talent-wise" (IMO at least....) and he'll be in a position we can nab him - 28 - which isnt that high at all.

I didnt (and dont) think he'll hang around to pick 53 - so..........get him at 28. Works for me.....only it didnt happen. Oh well.
We'll see what tomorrow brings - but Gute's shown zero skill making draft day moves for WRs. Hasnt done it. I question how important he actually thinks the position is - or how good an evaluator of them he is. He's not exactly hit it out of the park drafting WR's since he's been GM. They're more of an afterthought.

Gute just spoke several times in his presser about how appealing it is to have two ILB who don't have to come off the field, and how we haven't had that in a while. Also mentioned that they've been scouting Walker since early in the draft process and identified him as a target, and that he has been steadily ascending in his 1.5 years as a starter. If he hits, this could be a pick that solidifies our defense for years to come.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Packer_ESP said:

In 2021 Campbell had 1k snaps and Barnes 527. No other ILB had any significant snaps. Is this guy just taking from both those numbers or will any of the subpackages be adjusted to fit him? 

barry gonna have these 2 LBs on the field a lot 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Packer_ESP said:

In 2021 Campbell had 1k snaps and Barnes 527. No other ILB had any significant snaps. Is this guy just taking from both those numbers or will any of the subpackages be adjusted to fit him? 

I assume they're just going to play a lot more 2 ILB Nickel, IIRC they played alot of 3 DL/1 LB Nickel. 

• Like 2