Round 1 Pick 22; Quay Walker, LB Georgia

Packerraymond

4 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Gute said "We play in September, and we have 9 picks." That tells me they will dip into FA one more time in addition to obviously finding a guy or two in the next 2 days.

They've got June 1 cuts coming as well.  There's been talk that a guy like Keenan Allen could come available at that time.  Maybe there will be a few quality options that bit the market. 

Taking an inside linebacker as the top pick in the first round for the Packers??? Major shift in priorities. Gotta hope it works!  Maybe the plan is to have a top ten defense and make Rodgers earn his $50 million throwing to no-name guys? I do think we were pretty fortunate to get Devonte Wyatt at #28. He is a bit older at 24, but he is that quick, penetrating d-tackle that complements Kenny Clark. Heck, maybe he even stands up once in a blue moon and plays heavy edge? Pray for pass catchers in Round Two, baby. 

Okay so I just watched three games of the Georgia defense vs SEC opponents here. My initial thoughts were pretty positive about the player while being skeptical of the position/value at #22.

What I came away with after watching these 3 games is that Quay Walker is the THIRD BEST LB ON THE GEORGIA DEFENSE. And it's quite evident. Kobe Dean and Channing Tindall are clearly the better players, flying around to the ball THUMPING people. Walker looks decent and sound in coverage but the dude DANCES, definitely not the thumper like I initially thought he was. He seems slow to diagnose plays and doesn't shed blocks very well either. 

Going to keep digging and watching reps, but man, I currently think this is a bad draft pick. Hopefully my mind changes from some different film....

I hope this guy pans out, but does anyone else feel like he’s kind of a weak finisher? I just dont see much aggressiveness or dog in him and am worried that he wont have the physicality to be super successful in the NFL.

Disclaimer: This is based solely on my extensive YouTube research 15 minutes before bed last night.

Now I remember why I hate watching Linebacker tapes. It's usually very dry watching. They're always hovering in that no man's land during the play so you don't see many splash plays. They might drop back, they might go downhill but most of the time they're just hovering and cleaning up. It's hard to get a read if they're any good.

I've always wanted the Packers to draft an athletic and tall linebacker for years so I suppose I finally got what I wanted.

I thought 22 was a fantastic spot to draft a WR and all we had to do was wait and have one fall to our laps but that didn't turn out to be the case because QBs weren't getting drafted. A couple more QBs and we might be talking about landing Burks.

On positional value, I'm a bit underwhelmed.

That said, I see a lot to like with this kid. An ultra reliable tackler, pretty high end movement skills, and potentially a good blitzer.  If Clark and Wyatt can keep the ILB clean, Campbell and Walker could be a nasty duo inside.