Round 1 Pick 22; Quay Walker, LB Georgia

Packerraymond

I said it before the draft, I liked the OT's in this draft and I liked the ILB's.  I watched about 3 minutes of Walker and came away super impressed.  He is tall and he is long, kind of like Campbell.  He's very fast, but also very sudden.  More sudden than Campbell.  As an athlete, I really, really liked him.

I don't think he moves the needle much over Barnes, though, in terms of wins and losses.  But I do think he will cover much better and fly to the flats much better.  Again, not sure if it moves the needle.

I think he's safe, he's not going to bust.  And he's a winner.  

It isn't the position I would have picked, but I can't find any fault with the athlete.  

Now I'm wondering about blitzing him.  He is so sudden that he should be pretty excellent at it.

Also....can't help but wonder if Rodgers was asked who GB should pick.  He probably had a mouthful of tequila and tried to say "Watson", but it came out, "Walker".

Brass looked at each other, smiled and ran up with the pick.  Giggling all the way.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, gopackgo972 said:

Dean is the best Georgia LB right now. Dean can flat out play. Walker has the measurables and the athleticism. We’ll see how that pans out 4 years from now.   

My problem with Dean is I think he is going to get washed out at the NFL level. He may be a better college player then Walker but something about watching Dean makes me think he is going to struggle in the NFL. Personally I thought Lloyd was better then either but Lloyd looked a little stiff to me whenever I watched anything from him. 

1 minute ago, vegas492 said:

Also....can't help but wonder if Rodgers was asked who GB should pick.  He probably had a mouthful of tequila and tried to say "Watson", but it came out, "Walker".

Brass looked at each other, smiled and ran up with the pick.  Giggling all the way.

I though he was more of a scotch/bourbon guy?

7 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Watched Rodgers on MacAfee.  Sounded like a GM.  Guess those extensive discussions paid off.  He totally gets it. Said he'll make it work regardless of who they get.  Gotta tell you guys I fricken love Rodgers he's my favorite Packer player of all time. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

My problem with Dean is I think he is going to get washed out at the NFL level. He may be a better college player then Walker but something about watching Dean makes me think he is going to struggle in the NFL. Personally I thought Lloyd was better then either but Lloyd looked a little stiff to me whenever I watched anything from him. 

Dean is a Mike.  Walker is a will.  

The difference....well....just me thinking here based on watching them both....Walker could also play Mike at a high level.  

Thing I liked best about Dean was his teammates talking about how he led that defense.  Called out things and generally set the tone on defense.

Walker is going to be a great compliment to Campbell.

2 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

Watched Rodgers on MacAfee.  Sounded like a GM.  Guess those extensive discussions paid off.  He totally gets it. Said he'll make it work regardless of who they get.  Gotta tell you guys I fricken love Rodgers he's my favorite Packer player of all time. 

What's he going to say?

He saw all the WR's come off of the board.

He saw the comp given up for Brown and Brown.

GB is trying to let Rodgers know that if he can score 20 points, he's going to win games.  And we've got two second round picks left to grab WR's for him.

Let's see what happens if no WR's are taken in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

And I gotta tell you guys, I fricken love to both love and hate Rodgers at the same time.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, vegas492 said:

What's he going to say?

He saw all the WR's come off of the board.

He saw the comp given up for Brown and Brown.

GB is trying to let Rodgers know that if he can score 20 points, he's going to win games.  And we've got two second round picks left to grab WR's for him.

Let's see what happens if no WR's are taken in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

And I gotta tell you guys, I fricken love to both love and hate Rodgers at the same time.

I mean he knew which WRs the Packers had 1st round grades on and they all went before the Packers pick. He should know which WRs have 2nd and 3rd round grades as well. I assume we will see one drafted today and the Packers will move up to make it happen if necessary. If not, I sure hope Gute has Julio and Fuller on speed dial. 

Just now, Spartacus said:

I mean he knew which WRs the Packers had 1st round grades on and they all went before the Packers pick. He should know which WRs have 2nd and 3rd round grades as well. I assume we will see one drafted today and the Packers will move up to make it happen if necessary. If not, I sure hope Gute has Julio and Fuller on speed dial. 

If he does, he's playing a dangerous game.  We have what, like 5-6M to spend under the cap on a veteran?  To be fair, that should be enough for Fuller, guessing Julio will want more.

I still hope for 2 WR's to come out of the 2nd and 3rd rounds for GB.  Let's load the room with young guys and let Rodgers break them in!

6 hours ago, ReadyToThump said:

Okay so I just watched three games of the Georgia defense vs SEC opponents here. My initial thoughts were pretty positive about the player while being skeptical of the position/value at #22.

What I came away with after watching these 3 games is that Quay Walker is the THIRD BEST LB ON THE GEORGIA DEFENSE. And it's quite evident. Kobe Dean and Channing Tindall are clearly the better players, flying around to the ball THUMPING people. Walker looks decent and sound in coverage but the dude DANCES, definitely not the thumper like I initially thought he was. He seems slow to diagnose plays and doesn't shed blocks very well either. 

Going to keep digging and watching reps, but man, I currently think this is a bad draft pick. Hopefully my mind changes from some different film....

I'm sure you're really aware of what he was asked to do and what you look for.... I'll trust Simms and the Packers brass on this one.

Edited by PackFan13