Jets select Jermaine Johnson ll with the 26th pick

Abe56

2 hours ago, Rockice_8 said:

Honestly he's probably my least favorite pick.  Has some real question marks when it comes to pass rush.  Super high floor because of his fantastic run defense but not nearly the pass rusher we should be expecting.  In terms of pass rusher probably not top 5 in this class.  It was his ability to play 3 downs that got him drafted this high not his ability to rush the passer.  I'll be shocked if he's ever a 10+ sack guy.  8-9 sacks with excellent run defense could be his ceiling which will be good.  There is a correlation between college pressure rates and NFL pass rushers and JJ fell short.  Not saying he can't be an outlier but it's a red flag.  Guys like Ekibete and Mafe were higher on my board as a pure Leo in this defense but we needed a more of a 5-tech (big end) which is why I think JD and Saleh had him rated higher.  Huff, Lawson, Martin, Curry all better Leo's in this defense.     

Clemons was my least favorite pick. I kinda get what you’re saying, but still feel like he has more sacks ability than you’re giving him credit for. My thing is just the amount of opportunity he’ll get.

I wouldn’t call it an issue bc it’s a great issue to have. But my only complaint about this off-season is that where we added talent. We actually had some talent there already. So all these guys will have to be worked in.

Sauce: Sauces job to lose. But will be battling Hall.

Wilson: I think he’ll get plenty of work. But don’t see the Jefferson, Chase type impact some predict from him. He’s very well might be our 3rd WR in targets if everyone is healthy.

JJ: Will be part of a rotation with Lawson, Martin, Huff, Curry. So can’t see him getting the snaps to get to that 8+ sack mark as a rookie.

Hall: Hall vs Carter. Hot hand gets more touches.

13 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

I have a feeling this is going to change fast when you watch him play. He has legit talent. If he doesn't end up in jail.

Don’t dislike his play. Just thought DE when we were already 5 deep there wasn’t the bets pick

6 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Clemons was my least favorite pick. I kinda get what you’re saying, but still feel like he has more sacks ability than you’re giving him credit for. My thing is just the amount of opportunity he’ll get.

I wouldn’t call it an issue bc it’s a great issue to have. But my only complaint about this off-season is that where we added talent. We actually had some talent there already. So all these guys will have to be worked in.

Sauce: Sauces job to lose. But will be battling Hall.

Wilson: I think he’ll get plenty of work. But don’t see the Jefferson, Chase type impact some predict from him. He’s very well might be our 3rd WR in targets if everyone is healthy.

JJ: Will be part of a rotation with Lawson, Martin, Huff, Curry. So can’t see him getting the snaps to get to that 8+ sack mark as a rookie.

Hall: Hall vs Carter. Hot hand gets more touches.

Saleh stays true his his rotations.  Even with our lack of depth last year nobody really saw extended snaps.  There is plenty of snaps to go around.  We'll go 8-9 deep every game.  No there wont be a drop off.  JJ was a need no question about it. 

Hall is amazing depth now so if one of Sauce or DJ need a breath again, little to no drop off with Hall now.  Having the depth we have on both side of the ball is incredible from where we were to where we are now.  Our OG depth just got a boost now too.  I mean really maybe OT and LB are the only areas you can say our depth is weak.  It's an incredible job by JD in 3 off seasons.

2 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Saleh stays true his his rotations.  Even with our lack of depth last year nobody really saw extended snaps.  There is plenty of snaps to go around.  We'll go 8-9 deep every game.  No there wont be a drop off.  JJ was a need no question about it. 

Hall is amazing depth now so if one of Sauce or DJ need a breath again, little to no drop off with Hall now.  Having the depth we have on both side of the ball is incredible from where we were to where we are now.  Our OG depth just got a boost now too.  I mean really maybe OT and LB are the only areas you can say our depth is weak.  It's an incredible job by JD in 3 off seasons.

OT depth just got boosted IMO as well with the waiver pick up. Let’s say Becton/Fant goes down. Kick AVT to tackle and Herbig steps in at Guard.

Once Mitchell develops in a year or two the line depth is going to absolutely ridiculous.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

OT depth just got boosted IMO as well with the waiver pick up. Let’s say Becton/Fant goes down. Kick AVT to tackle and Herbig steps in at Guard.

Once Mitchell develops in a year or two the line depth is going to absolutely ridiculous.

Herbig is a guard. I prefer not to move AVT and let him settle in and not have too many moving pieces.  Hopefully Mitchell can be ready sooner rather than later or we can finally get some damn injury luck.  Hate being one of the most injured teams every year.

Edited by Rockice_8

9 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Herbig is a guard. I prefer not to move AVT and let him settle in and not have too many moving pieces.  Hopefully Mitchell can be ready sooner rather than later or we can finally get some damn injury luck.  Hate being one of the most injured teams every year.

I know he’s a Guard. In a pinch you prefer AVT out there over McDermott and Edoga at Tackle, you get through the game and then figure out next week when the time comes. Remember only 8 or 9 of these guys will dress. This is why Douglas values versatility. 

• 2 months later...

If the Jets could have moved up with a trading partner, he would have been taken at 15 period! No one was willing to trade with the Jets each team having their own board and top players according to their draft rooms. The fact that he was able to be taken at 26 was a team was willing to trade with the Jets. 

Just to give you an additional insight to what was taking place in the first round. The Jets wanted to get back into the first round after Johnson for RB Hall, but no one would trade with them. The Jets made the deal in round 2 because they felt 2 teams were looking to add him to their team Texas and Buffalo. 

Otherwise Hall would have been a first round draft pick. In 2022 NFL draft, at least for the Jets sometimes you just have to be at the right place at the right time and have the cards fall a certain way. For the Jets and JD and staff, it couldn't have gone any better.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
1 hour ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

It’s a formality so he can wear 11. He’s still a DE. 

I thought the league adopted the policy that a player can now wear any number.  Maybe there are still some rules?

Regardless,  I doubt he will be dropping into coverage a whole lot. He will still be lined up on or close to the LoS.