Round 1 Pick 28; Devonte Wyatt, DL Georgia

Packerraymond

16 minutes ago, MrBobGray said:

Slaton's playing well, he's just got the same issue as the rest of this DL group: Barry's hanging them out to dry schematically and foundationally.  Despite what his size would suggest, he's got a great first step and a terrible anchor.  Hands have gotten better, his disengage is better, but he still struggles when blockers get into him more than you'd like.  Put him in a tight front and he's a monster; put him at 3T with nobody in the nearest two gaps and he's going for a ride into the LB group. 

Thing that's so frustrating is that this DL group is actually built perfectly to support his best role; this team should be running some form of Tite front (4-0-4, or roughly equivalent pending the shades of the DL) on the line damn near every down.  Slaton and Clark are both studs heads up over the center, and Wyatt/Reed/Lowry are good fits for the 4i role.  Wyatt in particular would be spectacular.  They all struggle with being reached at the 3, but reaching a 4 is a tall order even for elite guards and they all have the first step to fill the B gap off the snap and clog up lateral run plays or attack outside edge of the tackle to peel apart pass pro.  Play Preston at your Leo, Campbell/Barnes/McDuffie at mike, and just walk Walker (tee hee) around on the backside of the formation wherever the hell you want and threaten delayed blitzes/hard backside pursuit angles.  Stop asking your DL group with barely an anchor between them to constantly two-gap in a 7-3-2-7 front (or whatever the hell that two down front is supposed to be.)  I don't know why Barry sees this group of athletes and thinks "I know, we'll hunker down and let the play come to us!"

Just once, one time, can you do me a favor?

Post something spectacular like this.  But towards the end, throw a "****", or "****" in there just so we know you are not a google football assistant posting these gems!

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

With the amount of 3 WR offenses that are being run, does 3/4 or 4/3 really matter anymore?  Most "base" defenses are now big nickels.  

I'm more curious if those guys would look better in an attacking style of defense as opposed to our 2 gap control defense.  And I think that in order to see that, we actually need to have a lead to play that way.  Leads for us are hard to come by.

So am I curious about the attacking style.  I think Barry has given them too much to do with that 2-gap and a 4-3 leads to more one on ones where they can utilize their quickness better.

50 minutes ago, minnypackerfan said:

So am I curious about the attacking style.  I think Barry has given them too much to do with that 2-gap and a 4-3 leads to more one on ones where they can utilize their quickness better.

I think they have to do too much as well.

But, it sure would be nice to give them a 17 point lead sometime and just let them rush the QB for a change.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, minnypackerfan said:

I’ve not understood the appeal of 2 gapping DL for a long time now. Seems to be harder to find guys good at this then it is to find Hugh level pass rushers. Why complicate things?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So we’re about as excited for a Late 1st round DL as we should be going into his second season?

Clearly one of the names we could be banking on a lot more next year. Will the reps be better than what Lowry or Reed gave us? One way we are expecting to improve this defense in 2023. 

36 minutes ago, ChaRisMa said:

So we’re about as excited for a Late 1st round DL as we should be going into his second season?

Clearly one of the names we could be banking on a lot more next year. Will the reps be better than what Lowry or Reed gave us? One way we are expecting to improve this defense in 2023. 

This is what scares me. If Wyatt doesn’t take the next step in his development, our defense might be screwed. I would expect that they resign Reed but we have a lot of stock hoping that Wyatt takes a big step. 

1 hour ago, Bullet Club said:

For a 24 year old 1st round pick, we needed a lot more out of him last season. Hard to say whether that's on him or coaching at this point. However, he needs to make an impact in year two.

When Joe Barry is involved, it's a pretty safe bet to blame the coaching staff.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Damn. If our 3 Georgia guys take big strides, this defense could be dominant.

I'm not going to allow myself to get caught up in this trap again. Until they become a dominant defense, I won't believe it. With Joe Barry running the show, I am skeptical to say the least. 

The talent is clearly on the roster. 

• Like 1