Round 1 Pick 28; Devonte Wyatt, DL Georgia

Packerraymond

On 4/29/2022 at 12:54 PM, ReadyToThump said:

Devonte Wyatt was/is the best defensive tackle in the draft and we got him at #28. Hell of a value pick, and I cannot wait to see him next to Kenny Clark. Who I think he mirrors as a player. Damn good against the run AND rushing the passer at 6'3 and 300+. Makes up for the Walker pick for me.

He's pretty amazing to watch .. fires out of his stance and low and fast.  One of the talking heads out there said you can routinely stop the tape one second after the snap and Wyatt is the guy furthest into the backfield every time.  He's going to be a potential impact player early on with that speed. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

He's pretty amazing to watch .. fires out of his stance and low and fast.  One of the talking heads out there said you can routinely stop the tape one second after the snap and Wyatt is the guy furthest into the backfield every time.  He's going to be a potential impact player early on with that speed. 

given his age, hopefully he can get his motorized scooter moving fast in the cold weather

• Like 2

Kid is going to be on the DL rotation.  Maybe #4 or #5 right now.  I have a feeling that changes a lot during camp.

He's  my camp favorite for "number of fights he's gotten into".  He doesn't want to beat the blocker, he wants to embarrass them.

He's gotta be DL2 in terms of ability.  But I have a feeling we are going to use him as a rusher in passing sets right away.  

It's been a very long time since I've been this excited about our DL.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Kid is going to be on the DL rotation.  Maybe #4 or #5 right now.  I have a feeling that changes a lot during camp.

He's  my camp favorite for "number of fights he's gotten into".  He doesn't want to beat the blocker, he wants to embarrass them.

He's gotta be DL2 in terms of ability.  But I have a feeling we are going to use him as a rusher in passing sets right away.  

It's been a very long time since I've been this excited about our DL.

Absolutely right on this. He's already going to be our second best d-lineman. By the end of the season he'll be considered one of our best players. Makes me feel better about the third Edge spot - he'll make everyone's job easier in the front seven.

46 minutes ago, Sandy said:

Absolutely right on this. He's already going to be our second best d-lineman. By the end of the season he'll be considered one of our best players. Makes me feel better about the third Edge spot - he'll make everyone's job easier in the front seven.

Not that I worry, but I worry about expecting too much out of him as a rookie.  I can't remember the last DL we took that had much of an impact as a rookie.  Clark was fine, but only against the run really.

I expect more rush out of Wyatt right away.  

So...I gotta temper my enthusiasm some.

43 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Not that I worry, but I worry about expecting too much out of him as a rookie.  I can't remember the last DL we took that had much of an impact as a rookie.  Clark was fine, but only against the run really.

I expect more rush out of Wyatt right away.  

So...I gotta temper my enthusiasm some.

Only thing I'd argue is he is more NFL ready than Clark was at age 21...but agree he'll have to "earn" his snaps over Lowry or Slayton.

I'm trying to temper that enthusiasm too! Can't wait to see this defense in the field in afraid it won't be as good as I'm making it up in my mind lol

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sandy said:

Only thing I'd argue is he is more NFL ready than Clark was at age 21...but agree he'll have to "earn" his snaps over Lowry or Slayton.

I'm trying to temper that enthusiasm too! Can't wait to see this defense in the field in afraid it won't be as good as I'm making it up in my mind lol

If Wyatt is your DL4, you have a heckuva DL room.

I think he starts at 4 or 5.  But he's got more ability than anyone in front of him, sans Clark.

I think we "save" him for more pass rush than run D stuff.

Honestly feel like our DL is going to be similar to a line change in hockey.  Sub em in, sub em out, keep the ILB's clean.

• Like 1

His game tape is really fun to watch.

Remember Worthy?  In college he was really quick off of the ball.  Looked like he was jumping the snap based on cadence.

Wyatt looks this quick, but not because he's jumping anything.  He's just naturally quick.  You see if when you pause the tape and see the ball gone and he's into the olineman, while his teammates are just getting out of their stances. 

And those hands are strong.  Feet are quick.  He's also relentless.  Always working towards the ball.

About the only negative thing I can say is that I saw him stand up too tall at time.  And I really have to nitpick to get that far.  It's just fun tape to watch.  I saw o-linemen "win" against him in the run game.  Butt to the hole.  Wyatt is looking inside at the wrong lane, but then flashes through the block and gets to the right gap.

• Like 1

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/05/03/bart-scott-nfl-teams-need-tough-guys-ravens-always-had-a-couple-players-with-felonies/

Literally exactly what I was saying.

Another reason why I love this pick.

Don’t love that it was his girlfriend’s door he kicked down, but you definitely need players with some legit toughness on defense if you want to beat playoff teams consistently.

This defense was too soft for too long. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/05/03/bart-scott-nfl-teams-need-tough-guys-ravens-always-had-a-couple-players-with-felonies/

Don’t love that it was his girlfriend’s door he kicked down, but you definitely need players with some legit toughness on defense if you want to beat playoff teams consistently.

I wish he had kicked down his boyfriend's door instead

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

No boyscouts for OP. 

5 minutes ago, R T said:

Because nothing shows how tough you are like kicking down a woman door. 

If it was just the door it would really depend on frame really. Not to make light of it, I haven't researched it. I'm not condoning anything but likely their are some facts that most of us don't know. If it was just kicking down a door big deal. 

A quick search found me this. Seems like the door should be upset but nothing beyond the door happened from this.

The incident took place last Friday when, according to the UGA Police Department, officers responded to a 911 call to McWhorter Hall where a male and female were fighting. Officers identified Wyatt as one of the parties involved in what was deemed a verbal altercation. However, the report states that Wyatt allegedly kicked the female's door "multiple times from the hallway, damaging the door and forcing it open." Wyatt and the female reportedly had an on-again, off-again relationship. The report also stated that "neither party indicated they were in fear for their safety."

Edited by PACKRULE

I like the player. By some reports he's the #2 DL in this draft. Is that true (?) I've no clue, but if so - he'll do us fine in an area of need (IMO) and I dont care where we drafted him. I dont bother with those calculations. Thats up to the team.