Round 2: Let's Talk Bears Prospects and Draft Approach

G08

1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

Why does capable have to be the bar? Why can’t we want and pursue more?

It’s not the bar. Capable is the need. More is the want. Everyone wants better than capable players.

We had Kindle Vildor potentially in line to start at corner until 6 hours ago. CB2 was just a big a hole on our roster as RG until this evening. You’d presumably have been fine with a capable stop gap at CB2 had we drafted a RG instead - you mocked it that way 2 days ago. Safety was a lesser but still big need too - before today we only had the much maligned Eddie Jackson and a handful of career reserves there. It’s not like we drafted a RB and a punter instead of OL in R2. 

We have 6 picks in this draft, half of which are late picks, and can arguably use a long term upgrade at a dozen spots. Maybe more. We weren’t going to be able to get long term fixes at all of them right now. Your personal sense of which long term need is the more important big hole on our roster doesn’t change the fact that capable or better was needed at both secondary spots at which we took players in R2 tonight. Further, the reasons for them choosing Gordon or Brisker over whichever OG was highest on their board at the time are entirely irrelevant. You even said do yourself - both guys were good values. 

You keep pushing the importance of protecting Fields. I wholeheartedly agree. But protecting Fields means capable OL play. Protecting Fields with young, capable, contract controlled players vs. stop gap vets is a want and a long term goal, but not an immediate necessity. So long as Poles follows through on adding capable OL play, which he re-upped on again tonight, then on an immediate need basis it’s acceptable to me. He definitely hasn’t met that threshold yet, and certainly hasn’t exceeded it. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

We have one legit starter at WR. In the modern era you need 3. We have guys filling the #2 and #3 position who would have a hard time making the cut for #3 and #4.

RG is much easier to find and even easier when you surround him with a good center and good tackle. The OL is the most important team oriented position in the league. For better or worse.

If we had a Byron Pringle level RG and had spent a 3rd round pick on an OLmen… we would be set.

They have actually invested at WR. 

Edited by WindyCity

2 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

You keep pushing the importance of protecting Fields. I wholeheartedly agree. But protecting Fields means capable OL play. Protecting Fields with young, capable, contract controlled players vs. stop gap vets is a want and a long term goal, but not an immediate necessity. So long as Poles follows through on adding capable OL play, which he re-upped on again tonight, then on an immediate need basis it’s acceptable to me. He definitely hasn’t met that threshold yet, and certainly hasn’t exceeded it. 

The young contract controlled guys have a chance to be more than capable. The street veteran does not. That is the frustration. We don’t have a chance at more on the OL. 

Give me Jurgen or Goedeke and a veteran safety over Brisker and Trai Turner.

We need some upside and ceiling on offense.

6 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

The young contract controlled guys have a chance to be more than capable. The street veteran does not. That is the frustration. We don’t have a chance at more on the OL. 

Give me Jurgen or Goedeke and a veteran safety over Brisker and Trai Turner.

We need some upside and ceiling on offense.

We need upside and ceiling everywhere. We need difference makers on both sides of the ball. If Brisker and Jurgen/Goedeke are comparably rated players, then sure take the OL. But if Brisker carries a much higher rating then take the better player. On most boards Brisker was a late 1 to early 2. Neither Goedeke nor Jurgen were there (or anywhere near there) on any board I saw. 

5 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

We need upside and ceiling everywhere. We need difference makers on both sides of the ball. If Brisker and Jurgen/Goedeke are comparably rated players, then sure take the OL. But if Brisker carries a much higher rating then take the better player. On most boards Brisker was a late 1 to early 2. Neither Goedeke nor Jurgen were there (or anywhere near there) on any board I saw. 

If you wanted that freedom you needed to do more in free agency to allow that.

I get that Gordon and Brisker were highly rated, but at the same time isn’t that an indictment of the Jones pick… he was ranked in the 150s by most?

Edited by WindyCity