Round 2: Let's Talk Bears Prospects and Draft Approach

G08

12 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Anyone else remember from Cutler’s first TC here when he lit into Joaquin Iglesias first day for trying to one hand a ball. Something like “Do it right or I’ll never f-ing throw you the ball again!” That would seemingly need to be the approach for Pickens. There’s so much talent there, and for me it’s worth the occasional headache. Steve Smith was crazy but had elite talent. Brandon Marshall too. Pickens has #1 WR ability. If he can be that then you make it work.

Totally get it if they pass on him because of it too though. But we could really use the talent. 

He never did throw Iglesias the ball again so he was telling the truth lol 

• Like 1

Green Bay has built an elite defense for next year.  Didn’t like their first pick, but their second was good value.   

I will say I haven’t followed CFB in several years, but way Georgia players are testing this year reminds me of E Germany in 70s.   Just sayin.   

When I was in high school a lot of my buddies all of a sudden started benching over 300 and squatting over 400 and it weren’t cause protein shakes and a new work out.

16 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Anyone else remember from Cutler’s first TC here when he lit into Joaquin Iglesias first day for trying to one hand a ball. Something like “Do it right or I’ll never f-ing throw you the ball again!”

I do remember that!!!

• Jarron Gilbert, DT. San Jose State. DT. San Jose State.
  • Juaquin Iglesias, WR. Oklahoma. WR. Oklahoma.
  • 105. Henry Melton, DT. Texas. DT. ...
  • 119. D.J. Moore, DB. Vanderbilt. DB. ...
  • 140. Johnny Knox, WR. Abilene Christian. ...
  • 154. Marcus Freeman, LB. Ohio State. ...
  • 190. Al Afalava, DB. Oregon State. ...
  • 246. Lance Louis, OG. San Diego State.

The draft class from that year. I have every one of their signatures from training camp on this Bears helmet that I have at work. Just makes me chuckle whenever I look at it. What a disaster it was. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, GOGRIESE said:

The draft class from that year. I have every one of their signatures from training camp on this Bears helmet that I have at work. Just makes me chuckle whenever I look at it. What a disaster it was. 

Wow.  Melton was decent for a couple years.  Knox was good until the back of his head touched his butt.  I remember being upset when Louis signed with Miami.  Who would have thought that Freeman would end up the most successful of this group?

1 minute ago, CBears019 said:

Wow.  Melton was decent for a couple years.  Knox was good until the back of his head touched his butt.  I remember being upset when Louis signed with Miami.  Who would have thought that Freeman would end up the most successful of this group?

Jarron Gilbert was an easy pick for a top bust. His production on the field wasn't that good. But he could jump out of a pool. He had 2 tackles in his NFL career. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, GOGRIESE said:

Jarron Gilbert was an easy pick for a top bust. His production on the field wasn't that good. But he could jump out of a pool. He had 2 tackles in his NFL career. 

Two tackles? How did I miss those?

32 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Green Bay has built an elite defense for next year.  Didn’t like their first pick, but their second was good value.   

I will say I haven’t followed CFB in several years, but way Georgia players are testing this year reminds me of E Germany in 70s.   Just sayin.   

When I was in high school a lot of my buddies all of a sudden started benching over 300 and squatting over 400 and it weren’t cause protein shakes and a new work out.

Agreed on Green Bay's defense. They slowly started developing through the year into a top 10 unit. This could push them into top 5. Unfortunately, the NFL demands top weapon talent to really be able to win games.

They except Rogers to be able to field a top 10 offense without marquee WR talent. I think that's going to be a challenge.  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, GOGRIESE said:

To be fair, that was just about in line with every Jerry Angelo draft after '06

• Like 1

Just want to throw the actual math out there on the Trades that happened in round one, since some are trying to say draft picks are cheap this year. As it has happened alot around here recently, thats just not true, and the actual numbers prove it.

All of them make complete sense when put in context of the TVC, except the first two which would lead to the thoughts that the newer charts are just devaluing the very top of the first round. The WAS/NO swap wasnt egregious except that the Commanders ended up with the lesser WR. And then looking over the MIN/DET swap, all I can come up with is that someone on the Vikings screwed up. If they are sending the Lions pick #77 instead of #46 that trade is a Net +5 for them, instead of a Net -230. It wouldnt be the first time a Minnesota Front Offence completely screwed up in the draft.

WAS sends #11 (1250) to NO for #16 (1000) + #98 (108) + #120 (54) [1162] > Net -88

MIN sends #12 (1200) + #46 (440) [1640] to DET for #32 (590) + #34 (560) + #66 (260) [1410] > Net -230

HOU sends #13 (1150) to PHI for #15 (1050) + #124 (47) + #162 (25) + #166 (23) [1145] > Net -5

NE sends #21 (800) to KC for #29 (640) + #94 (124) + #121 (52) [816] > Net +16

BAL sends #23 (760) to BUF for #25 (720) + #130 (42) [762] > Net +2

TEN sends #26 (700) + #101 (96) [796] to NYJ for #35 (550) + #69 (245) + #163 (24) [819] > Net +23

TB sends #27 (680) to JAX for #33 (580)+ #106 (82) + #180 (17) [679] > Net -1

If you exclude Minnesota's mess up, the the Overall value traded in the first round ends up at a Net -53. And with some of the newer charts dropping the top of the draft, that number is alot closer to 0 as Pick 11 wouldnt be worth nearly as much as stated.

47 minutes ago, CBears019 said:

How was Freeman the most successful when he never played a game.