Vikings Select Lewis Cine Safety Georgia at #32

gopherwrestler

Vikings safety Lewis Cine‘s rookie season ended when he suffered a a compound fracture of his lower left leg during a game in London last October and he’s been doing rehab work for some time in order to get ready for this season.

Cine called that a “grueling process” during a Monday press conference, but added that he’s “doing great, progressing well” as the team’s offseason program gets underway. Cine said he’s not taking on a “full load” at this point and said his approach is that “it’s a marathon, not a sprint” to get back on the field.

“Just taking it a day at a time. I’m not trying to look too far ahead, I’m not trying to do that. Just be where my feet are,” Cine said.

Cine said he doesn’t have a date in mind for when he wants to be able to do everything because he’s listening to the messages his body is sending him as his work continues, but it’s safe to say that the 2022 first-round pick has an eye on being in the Vikings secondary come September.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/04/17/lewis-cine-on-rehab-its-a-marathon-not-a-sprint/

• Like 2

Lewis Cine is on track to hit the ground running entering his second season with Minnesota. Lauded as an aggressive safety with play-making abilities, Cine is amped to play in defensive coordinator Brian Flores’ system.

Cine: “I like to play fast football, I like to just let it loose. That's his scheme, that's what he's known for. I'm really excited learning his defense, his scheme, the X's and O's of football, and picking his head and picking his mind about the way he operates, how he wants me to play”

Flores is known to incorporate the blitz at a high rate while trusting his secondary in one-on-one matchups. Cine has the ability to create havoc by bringing pressure as well as dropping back in coverage.

Cine essentially serves as an extra first-round draft pick for the 2023 season considering he wasn’t able to truly showcase his abilities last season. Though he wasn’t able to spend a lot of time on the field, Cine was able to take plenty of mental reps in his rookie season.

https://atozsports.com/minnesota/vikings-lewis-cine-injury-brian-flores-nfl-news/?fbclid=IwAR1MIM7I41s-vausMi8OIbupHuVHH-ATk2fsq2hi-VHyXQA9h-3UyfG3LbE

• Like 2

When you read up on Cine, it sounds like he's better closer towards the LOS than playing deep safety. I'm not sure he'd fit what Donatell wants from his Defensive Backs, but hopefully Flores utilizes him so that his speed and hit can be utilized best.

I like NFL.Com's write-up on him:

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/lewis-cine/32004349-4e66-8075-a009-a60b6f3b4838

I'm still skeptical of him a bit, and I didn't see him as a first round caliber player. I want him to succeed though and prove me wrong. 

I'm looking forward to Cine getting back out there.   I can only imagine the emotions a young guy goes through getting drafted, working his way up the depth chart, getting to play and then sustaining a bad injury.  

One positive is Cine can take support from the Chad Greenways/Dak Prescotts as players who've recovered from serious injuries to play at pro-bowl levels.  I think all us of understand its not a given Cine remains healthy for at least 5-6 years.  People can argue he's a wasted pick, while others rightfully believe he's better than where he was picked. 

Reality is . . . That's the past.   Brock Purdy's probably the only other rookie facing as much scrutiny coming back from surgery and he was Mr. Irrelevant.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, AP_allday2869 said:

I also looking forward to seeing Cine in the new defense. Cine has a ton of potential and I think Flores will help him to get it. I think the draft class as a whole will improv significantly from last year.

If they can stay on the field, that would be a massive improvement. That said, Cine seems like a perfect piece for Flores. 

Flores loves to blitz safeties, and Harry is already one of the best safety blitzers in the league. I imagine there could be some very creative packages he can come up with to use them both. 

I know we talked about the possiblity of having Harrison, Bynum and Cine on the field at the same time last year, but I think Flores might actually do it.

I really liked what I saw out of Evans last year. Hopefully, the concussion issue is behind him. I know they spent a lot of time and effort looking into helmets that would help with that. I hope it helps.

Booth...well...if he can't stay on the field, he's just another Mike Hughes. I think he has the talent to be a solid starter, but he needs those reps to get better. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

When you read up on Cine, it sounds like he's better closer towards the LOS than playing deep safety. I'm not sure he'd fit what Donatell wants from his Defensive Backs, but hopefully Flores utilizes him so that his speed and hit can be utilized best.

I like NFL.Com's write-up on him:

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/lewis-cine/32004349-4e66-8075-a009-a60b6f3b4838

I'm still skeptical of him a bit, and I didn't see him as a first round caliber player. I want him to succeed though and prove me wrong. 

Considering Cine has always been a thumper, he's going to fit what Flores does far better than what Donatell would have asked him to do.  I hope he can be a far better version of Sendejo. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

Flores loves to blitz safeties, and Harry is already one of the best safety blitzers in the league. I imagine there could be some very creative packages he can come up with to use them both. 

I know we talked about the possiblity of having Harrison, Bynum and Cine on the field at the same time last year, but I think Flores might actually do it.

giggity!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

I really liked what I saw out of Evans last year. Hopefully, the concussion issue is behind him. I know they spent a lot of time and effort looking into helmets that would help with that. I hope it helps.

Booth...well...if he can't stay on the field, he's just another Mike Hughes. I think he has the talent to be a solid starter, but he needs those reps to get better. 

Totally agreed on Evans. He was a stud for us last year when he actually did play, but one more concussion and he seriously may have to retire. I can see why Kwesi fell in love with him. Otomewo showed a ton of promise when he played too, imo. Ty Chandler is a dog too, and Jalen Nailor showed a lot of promise.

As far as Booth, to me, he is pretty much a bust. He just cannot stay healthy under any circumstance. His ability is not the issue, but he literally has never been healthy dating back to college. IT really sucks, but hopefully our training staff has got a great action plan for him so he can realize his potential.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...