Vikings Select Lewis Cine Safety Georgia at #32

gopherwrestler

1 minute ago, JDBrocks said:

All of this value talk is based on an outdated and arbitrary trade value chart. Anyone complaining about/misunderstanding analytics and trade value should take a look at the tweet above - legitimate analysis on the historical value of picks. The gap between rookie cost (contracts) and performance is highest *precisely* in the area that the Vikings traded back to.

Is there a meaningful gap in value between pick 34 and 46 to make the move down from 12 to 32 worth it, plus that third. Guess that depends upon what your board looks like at 12.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

All of this value talk is based on an outdated and arbitrary trade value chart. Anyone complaining about/misunderstanding analytics and trade value should take a look at the tweet above - legitimate analysis on the historical value of picks. The gap between rookie cost (contracts) and performance is highest *precisely* in the area that the Vikings traded back to.

but Tommie's Christmas present is bigger than mine, Dad....

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

I do have a pretty good hunch that they will move down from #34 to gain an additional pick...which may be why they did what they did...it's all about the chess match.  The story ain't written yet.

I have this feeling as well. There’s a lot good prospects available in the next 30 - 60 picks. Who knows, maybe we have similar grades on several players of BPA/positional value/need, so we trade back a few spots and gain some additional draft capital. 

Lewis Cine is going to be a special player at this level. He’s a guy that is literally just scratching the surface. Can play single high, two man under very well. Quality tackler, but not the ideal size to be full time in the box. He can play in the slot and has the body type to cover WRs. Not sure if that’ll be his ace but can certainly be developed. Blitz ability as well.

Chauncey Garder-Johnson/Justin Reid type.

I look forward to how Minnesota molds him because if he hones in and develops in a couple areas you’re looking at a future all pro type of player.

2 hours ago, swede700 said:

I do have a pretty good hunch that they will move down from #34 to gain an additional pick...which may be why they did what they did...it's all about the chess match.  The story ain't written yet.

Yep

the “why didn’t they take a more valuable position at #32 with the 5th year option and then take Cine S at #34” …. It’s because they know they might trade out of #34

16 minutes ago, swede700 said:

He's going to be wearing #6...for some reason, #16 is not available, but no one knows why.  

Only name that I could envision having #16 is Nate Stanley, who has gone from #7 to #14, to #4, and now ???

I wonder what the current rules are for changing after training camp?

9 hours ago, battle2heaven said:

haha...no lol

They did it before, what was it the Kevin Williams thing, when they just simply did not pick dropped down a little and that was to get into a lower pay rate for the prospect they drafted.  Maybe it was not him but the Vikings did exactly that but not to this degree,  They did exactly that here.  I would be shocked if Lewis Cine is better than Kyle Hamilton, Jameson Williams or Jordan Davis but will see.  

With that drop to 32 the team saved potentially $7-$9 million in the rookie contract.  To pretend that had nothing to do with it, it did.  And sure people can talk stats with Cine not giving up TDs but pretty hard not to be successful as a defensive back when they had a front seven like that!  They have what 6 first rounders in that group Walker, Wyatt, Davis, Quay Walker and soon to be Carter and Nolan Smith potentially and Dean will be picked 2nd round and could be better than Quay Walker etc, oh and Jermanie Johnson was on the team before last year at FSU and Adam Anderson who is a dirt bag but still a talent on the team that helped the DBs when he played.  Hell Kendrick looked like a 2nd or 3rd round pick at CB during the year and he ran what a 4.79 40 time and could drop to being a 5th or 7th round pick..  

15 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

To pretend that had nothing to do with it, it did.

You don’t think getting to pick again at 34 and then adding pick 66, potentially giving them 3 starters depending on the position, had more to do it then trying to save a tiny bit of cash that in the long run, is not meaningful at all?

most likely they liked Hamilton and they liked Cine, and didn’t view Cine has that huge of a drop off compared to Hamilton. Then the extra draft capital will allow them to draft more starters. 

don’t you think that is more likely than a conspiracy theory to save a few million? Occam’s razor, right?

• Like 2