Vikings Select Lewis Cine Safety Georgia at #32

gopherwrestler

On 7/1/2022 at 10:40 AM, Duluther said:

I enjoyed listening to Luke Braun’s assessment of his fit in this defense: basically we will have two safeties who will always start the play lined up deep, so since we want/need a safety to help stop the outside runs which gashed us last year, we need a safety with elite downfield trigger speed: that’s Cine.

Still hate the trade.

Jalen Pitre I would say comes downhill arguably better than Cine in terms of his overall quickness and is I would call a better tackler than him with better ball skills and awareness.  The dude had 18 TFLs last year which is insane, so honestly I would not have minded having him over Cine.  And Daxton Hill I say is superior to Cine also especially in coverage and even as a tackler but he was picked one pick before.  

Cine's quickness to the ball in reaction does seem like a fit, but I would not say Harrison Smith back deep at all times is him at his best, he is best when moved around and he is great around the line of scrimmage blitzing, a shame to just sit him in coverage all the time and not move him around.  

4 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

Troy Williamson was pretty fast and hard to cover too. 

beat me to it.

I so wish I could go in to our Viking forum here, click on a thread that has a specific title and focus, and read about that instead of over and over yakkity yak about something that isn't the subject matter.

but hey, that's me.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, vike daddy said:

beat me to it.

I so wish I could go in to our Viking forum here, click on a thread that has a specific title and focus, and read about that instead of over and over yakkity yak about something that isn't the subject matter.

but hey, that's me.

Back on topic: I have seen Cine turn a football field into a crime scene. It was darn near obscene. 

Edited by wcblack34
  • Like 2

On 7/8/2022 at 7:22 PM, Ozzy said:

Cine's quickness to the ball in reaction does seem like a fit, but I would not say Harrison Smith back deep at all times is him at his best, he is best when moved around and he is great around the line of scrimmage blitzing, a shame to just sit him in coverage all the time and not move him around.  

I wouldn’t go as far as to say Cine would be a liability tho. I just think I like the fit because he’s good enough to sit back and they can disguise things with both Cine and Smith now. 

it really will be interesting to see this defense this year, I’m almost more excited to see the change in that than I am the offense. I think it will even be a bigger 360 just from a visual aspect. 

1 hour ago, gopherwrestler said:

I wouldn’t go as far as to say Cine would be a liability tho. I just think I like the fit because he’s good enough to sit back and they can disguise things with both Cine and Smith now. 

it really will be interesting to see this defense this year, I’m almost more excited to see the change in that than I am the offense. I think it will even be a bigger 360 just from a visual aspect. 

He will be a liability if he wants to be a hitman and he is not physically big or strong enough to do so and cannot physically hold up over time.  He is very thin for a safety and his ball skills are kind of crappy, at least now, has ok anticipation but is late on arrival and does not seem to be able to jump the passes as well but maybe that is lack of play recognition.  

Say Lewis Cine ran a 4.65 40 or something, no way he would have been picked that high.  And the safeties drafted around him I would say all have better awareness and ball skills and all played with way less talent around him than Cine did.  Cine made plays when he had the chance especially the last few games of his career but was given that chance because so much focus was not on him.

It will be an interesting D to watch, but only if Booth can take Dantzler out and become the full time starter and stay healthy.  Also will help if Twyman, Lynch, or Watts become very good 3/4 DEs.  Also if Tomlinson can be a true NT and not sure he is best there is possibly better as a 3/4 DE and they have no other NT behind him unless they play Phillips as a NT which he could do it if asked.

Sucks for Wonnum, 8 sacks last year and he will just be a backup, hopefully he still gets some run and I still question if Z. Smith will ever be fully healthy so nice to have Wonnum available.    

11 hours ago, Ozzy said:

He will be a liability if he wants to be a hitman and he is not physically big or strong enough to do so and cannot physically hold up over time.  He is very thin for a safety and his ball skills are kind of crappy, at least now, has ok anticipation but is late on arrival and does not seem to be able to jump the passes as well but maybe that is lack of play recognition.  

Say Lewis Cine ran a 4.65 40 or something, no way he would have been picked that high.  And the safeties drafted around him I would say all have better awareness and ball skills and all played with way less talent around him than Cine did.  Cine made plays when he had the chance especially the last few games of his career but was given that chance because so much focus was not on him.

It will be an interesting D to watch, but only if Booth can take Dantzler out and become the full time starter and stay healthy.  Also will help if Twyman, Lynch, or Watts become very good 3/4 DEs.  Also if Tomlinson can be a true NT and not sure he is best there is possibly better as a 3/4 DE and they have no other NT behind him unless they play Phillips as a NT which he could do it if asked.

Sucks for Wonnum, 8 sacks last year and he will just be a backup, hopefully he still gets some run and I still question if Z. Smith will ever be fully healthy so nice to have Wonnum available.    

Tomlinson is the 3/4 DE.  Phillips is the NT.  That's already known.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, swede700 said:

Tomlinson is the 3/4 DE.  Phillips is the NT.  That's already known.  

Says who?

These two depth charts have Tomlinson the NT and Phillips the 3/4 DE, and the Vikings Depth chart on their website is obviously not up to date and has nothing yet.  

https://www.espn.com/nfl/team/depth/_/name/min/minnesota-vikings

https://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchart/MIN

I would agree with Phillips being the NT though no question and again I feel Tomlinson is better as a 3/4 DE but sure he could be the NT and honestly say Phillips is the NT, the only real backup NT would be Tomlinson anyway.  

16 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Says who?

These two depth charts have Tomlinson the NT and Phillips the 3/4 DE, and the Vikings Depth chart on their website is obviously not up to date and has nothing yet.  

https://www.espn.com/nfl/team/depth/_/name/min/minnesota-vikings

https://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchart/MIN

I would agree with Phillips being the NT though no question and again I feel Tomlinson is better as a 3/4 DE but sure he could be the NT and honestly say Phillips is the NT, the only real backup NT would be Tomlinson anyway.  

Says everybody else, including Phillips himself (I don't have the exact quote because it was from an interview on KFAN), plus he's always referenced as a DT or a nose guard.  

Ourlads is notoriously bad at projecting positions...I use it but always cautiously, because I've been burned several times because they listed a player as a starter at a position that he doesn't even play at.  And I certainly never use ESPN for anything, because they have a long history of providing inaccurate information.  

• 3 weeks later...

Ravens first-round safety Kyle Hamilton didn’t make it through all of Wednesday’s practice.

Jeff Zrebiec of TheAthletic.com reports that Hamilton struggled to get up after diving to break up a pass during a drill. He finally got up and moved slowly to the sideline for medical attention. Hamilton returned for one play, pulled up during it and then went back to the locker room for the remainder of the practice session.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/08/04/kyle-hamilton-made-an-early-exit-from-wednesdays-practice/

• 1 month later...

Via Chris Tomasson of the St. Paul Pioneer Press, Vikings coach Kevin O’Connell said after the game on KFAN radio that Cine suffered a “significant fractured ankle.” O’Connell also said that a Vikings official will remain in London while Cine has a medical procedure.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/10/02/lewis-cine-has-significant-fractured-ankle-will-stay-in-london/