Draft Day 2

Louis Friend

1 minute ago, Karnage84 said:

I just don't think Joseph is rated as highly as many of us think he should be. Whether he gets selected in line with his ADP is a different ballgame.

CBS - 55

PFF - 73

PFN - 88

FanSpeak - 95

TDN - 108

AVG = 83.8 ADP

I have him rated in the 60s. Even at 80ish, he's not lasting to #97. There is a huge drop after him as far as safeties go. We saw the run on WRs before the drop off. I see the same thing happening in the second round with safeties. 

Just now, Louis Friend said:

I have him rated in the 60s. Even at 80ish, he's not lasting to #97. There is a huge drop after him as far as safeties go. We saw the run on WRs before the drop off. I see the same thing happening in the second round with safeties. 

I feel like they're looking more for a guy to play closer to the LOS with Elliott playing that split safety role with Walker. I could be wrong (certainly have been on many occasions) but you can supplement this with a guy that can be a hybrid player in that role - whether they're listed as a LB or as a S. 

2 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

I feel like they're looking more for a guy to play closer to the LOS with Elliott playing that split safety role with Walker. I could be wrong (certainly have been on many occasions) but you can supplement this with a guy that can be a hybrid player in that role - whether they're listed as a LB or as a S. 

I agree to a point. I just see a severe drop in talent at the position after those three. But again, it's all about value. There are guys I'd definitely take before all of them. 

1 minute ago, Louis Friend said:

I agree to a point. I just see a severe drop in talent at the position after those three. But again, it's all about value. There are guys I'd definitely take before all of them. 

I'm just impressed you have rankings... I just search on different sites that I like to get ideas on where other guys project they might go. Hats off to you. 

Just now, Karnage84 said:

I'm just impressed you have rankings... I just search on different sites that I like to get ideas on where other guys project they might go. Hats off to you. 

Eh, I'm a nerd like that. I like watching film and scouting guys. My views on guys always differ from the sites out there. I feel like alot of them just recycle what others say and don't dig or think for themselves. But the discussion is what makes this time of year so much fun. That's why I ask questions to see how people view players and not just list guys. 

1 hour ago, Karnage84 said:

Honestly - I would not hate that. A swing at 97 on a guy that Ben Johnson should have some familiarity with (both former UNC QB's) and has some tools that may or may not pan out. He should at least be an upgrade over Blough. If Goff goes down, do I/should we want someone with the potential to steal a few W's and take us out of the running for a top end QB next year? Probably not. Would it be nice to pick out a guy who could be anywhere from Davis Mills to Russell Wilson in round 3? Yes it would. 

I’m not a fan of these QB’s but Howell seems like a Campbell guy and throws a good deep ball that would work well with Williams and Chark.

1 minute ago, diehardlionfan said:

I’m not a fan of these QB’s but Howell seems like a Campbell guy and throws a good deep ball that would work well with Williams and Chark.

Howell or Corral are darts at 97 that are worth potentially swinging at if the Lions have done their due diligence and feel comfortable with each guy. To hit on a mid-round QB like the Seahawks did with Wilson or the Cowboys did with Dak has tremendous upsided long-term. If it doesn't work out, there's no guarantee a player at that pick would make a similar impact if they hit. 

Just now, Karnage84 said:

Howell or Corral are darts at 97 that are worth potentially swinging at if the Lions have done their due diligence and feel comfortable with each guy. To hit on a mid-round QB like the Seahawks did with Wilson or the Cowboys did with Dak has tremendous upsided long-term. If it doesn't work out, there's no guarantee a player at that pick would make a similar impact if they hit. 

I'm not even truly advocating for taking a QB this year but if a guy is sitting there at 97 and he's BPA by far, I can see why it would make sense to take a swing. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Just Want A Title said:

When Round 1 ended last night, I thought we should focus on Safety and LB.  Jaquan Brisker or Jalen Pitre would look really good in our defense and will definitely be there at #46.  Every LB we could want will probably still be there at #46 but I am not sure if the value makes sense.  It will be tougher to get a good LB prospect at #97 that it would have been if we were still picking at #66 but off-the-ball LBs tend to fall.

The real wild-card for me are the QBs.  With Malik Willis, Desmond Ridder and Sam Howell all being available, taking one of them might make sense.  Ridder probably won't last until #46 but if Desmond Ridder and Sam Howell are still there, the pick could be really interesting.  

All of that being said, having only a late 3rd round pick and no 4th round picks is not ideal.  I could see Brad Holmes trading back in the second if he could get an earlier pick in the 3rd round or maybe a couple of 4th round picks.

I really don't want to pick a QB at 46 but if we could move up from 97 and grab one I'd be ok (depending on the cost) with rolling the dice.