Round 1 Overreactions

goldfishwars

Here's mine...

Jacksonville Jaguars - Like the player, feels unnecessarily risky to draft him 1st overall 
Detroit Lions - Hit it out of the park with Hutchinson, a thwack down the middle of the fairway. Trade up to 12 to take Williams was sort of bananas, but actually didn't cough up what you would have expected that to have taken. I'd be very happy if I was a Lions fan. 
Houston Texans - Cover corners like Stingley when he is firing are rare, guard at 15 is iffy on positional value but he's ready to go. An extra 4th is cool. 
New York Jets - Wow, an annoyingly good and well-executed draft - props to big Joe
New York Giants - Without getting dramatic, feels like a course-altering draft (finally) - like the adults have suddenly arrived in NY
Carolina Panthers - Must have been crying for a trade down, but an extremely solid double in Ike with nothing now until Saturday
Atlanta Falcons - I like London, just surprised he was the pick with all the receivers on the board
Seattle Seahawks - Mind-shatteringly sensible pick in Cross, amazed really
New Orleans Saints - Not good. Picks were always going to burn a hole in Loomis' pockets, Olave is a good get but not crazy about the value at 11 plus giving up 3rd and 4th. Penning is not a good football player right now, and to give up a 2023 first is ludicrous. 
Philadelphia Eagles - Potentially game changing interior defender, plus one of the best proven receivers in the league + 2023 1st rounder. Unbelievable, beyond all Philly's dreams. 
Baltimore Ravens - Ignored positional value and took two of the most talented players in the draft, like it. I like it a lot. 
Washington Commanders  - Love the trade back. Like Dotson a lot, but not insanely attached to him at 16. 
Los Angeles Chargers  - Telesco only takes good players, took another one here at a position of need. Tick, tick.
Tennessee Titans - Traded away a premier offensive piece for a cheaper maybe at the same spot and danced out of the 1st for a move up in the 3rd and a 5th. Not great.
Pittsburgh Steelers  - Didn't panic at the spot they obviously wanted to target and took the ready now talent. Problem is that talent might only be a marginal improvement on Mason Rudolph.
Kansas City Chiefs  - Drop-off at corner after McDuffie more than justifies the move-up. Karlaftis at 30 feels like stealing, even if the league were clearly not as enamoured as the niks. Lovely work. 
Green Bay Packers  - The picks themselves were fine in a vacuum, but in a way that these exact selections were a running joke heading into the draft. The front office just can't get separate from their hard-worn, trademarked squad building system, even when it is clearly harming team morale. They have to be incredibly savvy with what they do at receiver from here in, as the talent pool has thinned (a lot!).
Buffalo Bills  - Even though Florida corners will forever scare me, after New England's catastrophes - this feels like another very solid addition for a very sensible front office
Dallas Cowboys  - Poo poo, wee wee and fart
New England Patriots - The most sycophantic beat and local media in the league will spin the Strange pick as mercurial genius, but it isn't. New England are on the wrong side of these 'woah' early selections as much as they are not. A roster full of roles, still has a defense which couldn't get opponents off the field down the stretch. Strange is 24 and played 6 seasons in the FCS. It's just horrible value on the selection, really bad. Like the trade back and the value they got in return. 
Cincinnati Bengals  - Love the player, super smart and can fill a number of roles on defense. Liked it.
Minnesota Vikings - Cine is fine, solid. Awful value on that trade down with the Lions, very weird considering made in division.

Edited by goldfishwars
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, BofaDeez54927 said:

I still can't wrap my head around why the Vikings dropped as far as they did for such a poor return.

There doesn't seem to be any angle which makes sense outside of they were trading down to 32 no matter what.

Honestly, they would have probably been infinitely better off just taking Williams

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

New England Patriots - The most sycophantic beat and local media in the league will spin the Strange pick as mercurial genius, but it isn't. New England are on the wrong side of these 'woah' early selections as much as they are not. A roster full of roles, still has a defense which couldn't get opponents off the field down the stretch. Strange is 24 and played 6 seasons in the FCS. It's just horrible value on the selection, really bad. Like the trade back and the value they got in return. 

I thought you said Overreaction?...

My balanced take on that: If he turns into Thuney II, are we really going to look back on this and care where we took him? Despite some glaring holes

My overreaction: REVOKE BILL'S DRAFTING PRIVILEGES RIGHT THIS INSTANT. HE'S KILLING THIS ROSTER YEAR IN YEAR OUT

5 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Cole Strange was the best center in this draft.  Looked great at the Senior Bowl vs top talent.

The Steelers, on the other hand, spent a 1st round pick on a career backup.  So excited.

Definitely not the best center, not least because he's only played one game there. He might well be a fine player, but as a 24 year old small school prospect at a non premium position - its not someone you pull the trigger on in the first round.

• Like 2

Just now, goldfishwars said:

Definitely not the best center, not least because he's only played one game there. He might well be a fine player, but as a 24 year old small school prospect at a non premium position - its not someone you pull the trigger on in the first round.

Not arguing that it was a bit early to take him but he is still a very good center.

2 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

I feel like when you come to do your annual review of the draft, no matter how NE do in the next 6 rounds, you're going to have them in the bottom 3. Based on this.

Seattle has drafted a lot of offensive line in the past. No one this talented since Okung. This was a no brainer pick for any team that had a glaring who at left tackle. 

The only team I can say wow that was terrible value, was the Viking/Lions trade. I fail to see the upside at all for Minnesota. 

1 hour ago, goldfishwars said:

Jacksonville Jaguars - Like the player, feels unnecessarily risky to draft him 1st overall 

Love Travon Walker. He fits their scheme and current personnel nicely. I feel like this is the Mario Williams situation, where his upside will be met. He's already a fantastic run defender. The pass rush stuff is underdeveloped, but there are unlimited tools there to work with. High floor because of his ability to destroy a front side run game. I don't think Devin Lloyd is very good, and I certainly wouldn't have taken him ahead of Nakobe Dean.

Detroit Lions - Hit it out of the park with Hutchinson, a thwack down the middle of the fairway. Trade up to 12 to take Williams was sort of bananas, but actually didn't cough up what you would have expected that to have taken. I'd be very happy if I was a Lions fan.

Hutch was a solid pick. He'll be just fine, but I doubt he ever becomes one of those game-wreckers in the mold of Bosa, Garrett, Watt, etc... Jameson Williams is an elite WR prospect and is a great complement to ARSB.

Houston Texans - Cover corners like Stingley when he is firing are rare, guard at 15 is iffy on positional value but he's ready to go. An extra 4th is cool. 

I loved Stingley. He's an elite player still. Hate Kenyon Green. I think he reeks of bust, to be honest. Reminds me of Cam Erving, but the G/T version.

New York Jets - Wow, an annoyingly good and well-executed draft - props to big Joe

Yeah the Jets won the draft on day 1. They essentially got three top 10 picks. I've loved the Jets drafts over the last 3 years with the exception of Zac Wilson, who always seemed like more flash than substance.

New York Giants - Without getting dramatic, feels like a course-altering draft (finally) - like the adults have suddenly arrived in NY

Yeah they had a solid day at the office. The meat & potatoes that they needed. 

Carolina Panthers - Must have been crying for a trade down, but an extremely solid double in Ike with nothing now until Saturday

Ickey is great, but I just don't buy the Panthers right now. They have a weird roster construction. Almost have to trade for Jimmy G or Baker, given that roster is ready to win now aside from their putrid QB situation.

Atlanta Falcons - I like London, just surprised he was the pick with all the receivers on the board

Yeah London is really good, but I thought Jameson Williams was easily WR 1. 

Seattle Seahawks - Mind-shatteringly sensible pick in Cross, amazed really

Not really a Cross fan. He has tools, but was made to look like an absolute bum by Sam Williams. He struggled against good competition even in pass pro.

New Orleans Saints - Not good. Picks were always going to burn a hole in Loomis' pockets, Olave is a good get but not crazy about the value at 11 plus giving up 3rd and 4th. Penning is not a good football player right now, and to give up a 2023 first is ludicrous. 

Agreed. I love watching Penning due to his nastiness, but this seemed like a bust of a draft haul for what they sacrificed. Penning reminds me of Josh Garnett--the OT version. I loved Garnett because he was a mauler and was able to ignore his technical flaws. Penning strikes me as being the same.

Philadelphia Eagles - Potentially game changing interior defender, plus one of the best proven receivers in the league + 2023 1st rounder. Unbelievable, beyond all Philly's dreams.

Yeah that was nasty. Good on you, Philly.

Baltimore Ravens - Ignored positional value and took two of the most talented players in the draft, like it. I like it a lot. 

Homerun draft from Baltimore. They legitimately got my #1 and #2 rated prospects.

Washington Commanders  - Love the trade back. Like Dotson a lot, but not insanely attached to him at 16. 

Seemed like the value didn't match up, but agree that Dotson will be a good player for them.

Los Angeles Chargers  - Telesco only takes good players, took another one here at a position of need. Tick, tick.

Solid pick. Zion Johnson is a bull.

Tennessee Titans - Traded away a premier offensive piece for a cheaper maybe at the same spot and danced out of the 1st for a move up in the 3rd and a 5th. Not great.

Yeah I like Burks, but this seemed like a lateral move.

Pittsburgh Steelers  - Didn't panic at the spot they obviously wanted to target and took the ready now talent. Problem is that talent might only be a marginal improvement on Mason Rudolph.

I like Pickett. I worry about his ceiling and as a Steeler hater, I'm glad they didn't take Malik Willis. I'm quietly rooting for Pickett, who did receive too much hatred in the draft process.

Kansas City Chiefs  - Drop-off at corner after McDuffie more than justifies the move-up. Karlaftis at 30 feels like stealing, even if the league were clearly not as enamoured as the niks. Lovely work. 

Two great value picks. That soft KC defense added two hard-nosed players that have very good physical upside.

Green Bay Packers  - The picks themselves were fine in a vacuum, but in a way that these exact selections were a running joke heading into the draft. The front office just can't get separate from their hard-worn, trademarked squad building system, even when it is clearly harming team morale. They have to be incredibly savvy with what they do at receiver from here in, as the talent pool has thinned (a lot!).

Not a Quay Walker guy. I can't see how they valued him over a guy like Nakobe Dean. Devonte Wyatt is a man child though. That's a really good pick. Hopefully he can stay out of trouble for GB's sake.

Buffalo Bills  - Even though Florida corners will forever scare me, after New England's catastrophes - this feels like another very solid addition for a very sensible front office

Big Elam fan. He's arguably the most physically gifted of the CB prospects if you're watching them in shorts. He's strong like bull and runs like deer. Best in zone, which it seems is heavily employed in that Bills defense. Good pick.

Dallas Cowboys  - Poo poo, wee wee and fart 

Weird pick, and I like Tyler Smith. I feel like Dallas, who was on the verge of becoming an elite team, took a step back this off-season.

Welp it was something! I legitimately thought he would be a dude that lost some weight and played a gigantic FB role at one point in time. He just isn't that good. Weird pick.

Cincinnati Bengals  - Love the player, super smart and can fill a number of roles on defense. Liked it.

Hill is really good. I'd bet Cinci is going to employ him at outside CB, which he can do!

Minnesota Vikings - Cine is fine, solid. Awful value on that trade down with the Lions, very weird considering made in division.

Loved Cine even before the crazy testing numbers. He's just a rock solid player with no real flaws. However, I feel like the Vikings have to feel a little let down they didn't upgrade their CB room, nor did they get great value for the trade.

BEST:

1. Baltimore Ravens
2. New York Jets
3. Philadelphia Eagles

WORST:

1. New England Patriots
2. New Orleans Saints
3. Seattle Seahawks

• Like 1