2K22 Rookies

onejayhawk

I wasn’t a huge fan of Skyy,  but I think it’s wayyy to early to be writing him off.   I do like how he looks when the ball is in his hands.    TBD on how well he adjust to the offense and how many roles he’s able to fill.    

I’d be comfortable with a Juju, Toney, Skyy corp heading into the draft.   Once acclimated to the offense that’s 3 guys who are tough to bring down.   Really missing a deep threat,  that is not just a deep threat though.    Will be interesting to see if MVS is still around next year 

18 minutes ago, RedGold said:

Really missing a deep threat,  that is not just a deep threat though.    Will be interesting to see if MVS is still around next year 

I'm still liking Watson......good at running routes.......decent hands........big body......I've got that Sunday deep sideline pass burned into my mind......

• Like 1

15 hours ago, mayanfootball said:

I'm still liking Watson......good at running routes.......decent hands........big body......I've got that Sunday deep sideline pass burned into my mind......

Watson is the offense's glue guy. Like Pringle and Robinson last year, he blocks, he decoys, he is rarely targeted.

I could like his hands better but it's easy to miss his speed. That 67 yard pass in the 1st quarter against the Raiders was to Watson.

About Ross, he's a burner or was in 2017. As was said, I'm glad to kick the tires. 

Edited by onejayhawk

• 3 weeks later...

More love for Pacheco. If you did not see the him ripping off 40+ against Jacksonville (great sealing block by #57 OB Jr) then check below. This article is about why he lasted to the 7th round even with a sub-4.4 time in the 40.
https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/isiah-pacheco-chiefs-seventh-round-running-back-super-bowl-run/lq928sotnj9bfsehwshk9r5f

In his previous nine seasons leading the Chiefs, Andy Reid, a future Hall of Fame coach known for his offensive innovations, has never had an offensive skill-position player who was selected in the seventh round earn a spot on the team's initial 53-man roster. Pacheco became the first, and with relative ease.

https://twitter.com/NFL/status/1616926708623605760?s=20&t=c7wHN1pviqzrmpbLczQdZg

12 minutes ago, RedGold said:

Going up against Cin, with 4 rookie DB’s playing a majority of the snaps in the 2nd half.    Nuts!    

The play of rookies was one of the keys to watch. Throw in Pacheco and Skyy finally getting a PR right--not bad. They will all be better in August.
https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/lists/kansas-city-chiefs-cincinnati-bengals-afc-championship-game-things-to-watch-patrick-mahomes-andy-reid-harrison-butker/?itm_source=parsely-api

Edited by onejayhawk

• 4 weeks later...

This is a rather nice article covering all 32 teams. It rates our draft class at #4, which is reasonable since we did not get a Sauce Gardner or  Aiden Hutchinson. It's worth noting that the players selected Pacheco as the team RoY. 
https://www.nfl.com/news/2022-nfl-rookie-grades-ranking-the-classes-1-to-32

It's rare to see a Super Bowl champion be so rookie-dependent, but Kansas City identified its depth issues last offseason and showered the defense with draftees -- especially in the secondary, with five selections, including four who contributed in major ways in Year 1. Trent McDuffie, Jaylen Watson, Joshua Williams and Bryan Cook all cracked the rotation this season, and each of them played at least 10 snaps on defense in Super Bowl LVII. They all endured some rough patches, but each contributed something significant along the way. Even with some potential veteran DB departures this offseason, the future of the Chiefs' secondary appears to be bright thanks to this crew.

Defensive end George Karlaftis started all season, but really made his impact down the stretch, with 5.5 of his six sacks, seven of his eight tackles for loss and both of his fumble recoveries coming in the final seven regular-season games. After some humbling snaps early on, Karlaftis started to show his true impact potential.

Isiah Pacheco was one of the 2022 NFL Draft's great finds, coming off the board in the back end of the seventh round. Despite some issues taking care of the football, the hard-charging back was a revelation in Year 1, supplanting former first-rounder Clyde Edwards-Helaire as K.C.'s lead back and averaging 5.0 yards per carry from Week 7 (his first start) through the Super Bowl. Skyy Moore also experienced ball-security problems -- muffing three punts as a returner -- but he was still able to carve out a role of 25-to-30 snaps on offense and special teams. And he actually provided a massive 29-yard punt return with under a minute left in the AFC Championship Game, helping set up Harrison Butker's game-winning field goal.

• 10 months later...

This will go down as one of the great drafts of this decade. No small portion of that is 7th-round pick Isiah "Pop" Pacheco. this article gives some of the reasons why he was available in the 7th round. 
https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2024/01/06/kansas-city-chiefs-veteran-executive-mike-tannenbaum-explains-isiah-pacheco-slide-to-seventh-round/

• 1 month later...

In the Super Bowl, Rashee Rice had the most play of the rookies with 67% of offensive snaps. There is no doubt that he is the star of this draft class. 

Chamarri Conner was next. In addition to the core ST play--resulting in a blocked extra point--Conner played more regular defense snaps than either Joshua Williams or Jaylen Watson. 

FAU was an afterthought with 7 snaps. No other rookies had anything but ST snaps.