Day 1 Winners and Losers

THE DUKE

I'm going to keep it brief per team, but here are my 5 winners and 5 losers for day one of the draft

Winners

Ravens - Hamilton was a top 5 talent in this draft and they got him at 14, and then Linderbaum at 25 was a great pick as well. My favorite draft on day one.
Giants - Got Edge 1 and OT 1 for me, and did it with picks 5 and 7
Chargers - Got the third best offensive lineman in the draft at 17 and didn't have to give anything up to get him. Herbert is probably still smiling.
Jets - Love the sauce pick, like the Wilson pick, i'm not nearly as high on Johnson as most, older and with one year of production, i'm not a believer.  All in all, a nice day though.
Chiefs - Traded up for McDuffie to get their CB3, and got an absolute steal in Karlaftis at 30

Losers

Steelers - Kenny Pickett, lol
Falcons - Took a red zone threat a year after drafting Kyle Pitts, and took him about 20-30 picks too soon
Texans - Between reaching on Kenyon Green and taking Stingley with his injury issues over Sauce, I think history won't be kind to this draft
Packers - Took two second round talents in round one.  I like Walker more than Wyatt
Vikings - I like Cine fine, he's an ok pick at 32, but that trade down was criminally bad.  They dropped 20 spots in rd one and got such a pedestrian return.

• Like 3

Round 1 losers: Atlanta, Washington, New England, Minnesota. 

- Atlanta has so many needs and took a receiver I didn't think should be in round 1, worst pick of round 1.
- Washington wanted a WR, had a the end of the run fall to them, and moved down for mediocre compensation. Then they reached on a 2nd round prospect.
- New England is pretty self explanatory, obviously they liked a guy and reached.
- Minnesota got awful value for moving down that far, Cine is fine, but they had impact talent there, and unless Detroit was offering next years #1, they should've hung up the phone.

Round 1 winners: Teams from 16-32 who didn't panic and reach on WR's, The Eagles and Jets. 

• Like 3

Winners:

1. Baltimore Ravens. Literally had Hamilton #1 and Linderbaum #2 on my big board. (I don't factor positional importance in draft board grades, fwiw)
2. New York Jets. Got three guys I had in my top 15. Slight critique would be that I like Jameson Williams as WR1, but Wilson is great too.
3. Philadelphia Eagles. They got the literal perfect complement to DeVonta and grabbed a 1-man wrecking crew at DT. Plus, they won the earlier NO trade.

Losers:

1. New England Patriots. Cole Strange was a dude I had a 5th-6th round grade on. Not sure what they see in him, to be honest.
2. New Orleans Saints. Very questionable value. Olave is good, but trading up for him was stupid. Trevor Penning is far too raw to just plug in at LT from day 1.
3. Seattle Seahawks. I'm not high on Charles Cross. I know I'm alone in that sentiment, but I just think they whiffed on a top 10 pick. Seattle's roster is brutal.

34 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

- Atlanta has so many needs and took a receiver I didn't think should be in round 1, worst pick of round 1.

I wasn't a big fan of going WR but to say this was the worst pick of Cole Strange...sounds more like there's some internal hatred for the falcons....which makes no sense we suck but hey haters are haters

I don't really blame teams for not trading down this year, the value simply was not there. You could say the Panthers and Seahawks could have done more, but with so many needs they made the right move. The top corners were gone, and top pass rushers were gone as well. A top starting left tackle is a complete no brainer. 

Edited by SHONUFF

2 minutes ago, ClutchDJ said:

I’m so confused at the Baltimore love.

Great value for Hollywood, sure, but the player they used it on? 

Baltimore runs a power run scheme & Linderbaum is anything but that.

Linderbaum is a superstar. He was just fine at Iowa running their man schemes. They did more base man blocking than they did wide zone blocking. He will be fine in any scheme. The dude is country strong…it’s not like he can’t handle a NT.

I’d love to pretend Linderbaum was a bad pick, but I’ve watched a ton of him dating back to last year. He is as legit as it gets as a C prospect.

That said, I thought Garrett Bradberry was gonna be elite and he’s meh at best. Linderbaum and Bradberry are different types of players, but I won’t pretend to be perfect.

And Hollywood Brown low-key sucks for someone that is gonna command a fat number on the salary cap come signing day. 

8 minutes ago, ClutchDJ said:

I’m so confused at the Baltimore love.

Great value for Hollywood, sure, but the player they used it on? 

Baltimore runs a power run scheme & Linderbaum is anything but that.

The guy can move very well and is as strong as an ox. He can play in any scheme.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SHONUFF said:

I don't really blame teams for not trading down this year, the value simply was not there. You could say the Panthers and Seahawks could have done more, but with so many needs they made the right move. The top corners were gone, and top pass rushers were gone as well. A top starting left tackle is a complete no brainer. 

There was a steep drop off after the first 3 OTs and frankly Cross was my #1 rated tackle in this class. Had he been taken (let's just say Atlanta took him), I would've been far more interested in us trading down to the Saints or Eagles pick.