2022 Draft - Day 2

Heimdallr

Just moving this over here since the old thread basically got locked 10m after I posted this

Players Id be okay with at 34

CB - Booth, Gordon

Edge - Ojabo, Mafe

LB - Dean, Harris

WR - Pickens, Watson

QB - Willis (if there is a trade in place to move Mond even if thats only getting a 4th back)

• Like 1

OK so we have to look at, where does the depth of the draft drop off where you cannot get a similar player at 66 and/or 77.

So for CB, how much better is booth/gordon than say...Cam Taylor Britt and Coby Bryant?

for DE, Ojabo and Ebiketie or...Bonnito, enagbare, sanders, jackson, pashcal,

For WR Pickens and Skyy Moore or.....Alec Pierce and Jalen Tolbert?

For 5 tech or base end Logan Hall or....Leal and Mathis?

10 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

OK so we have to look at, where does the depth of the draft drop off where you cannot get a similar player at 66 and/or 77.

So for CB, how much better is booth/gordon than say...Cam Taylor Britt and Coby Bryant?

for DE, Ojabo and Ebiketie or...Bonnito, enagbare, sanders, jackson, pashcal,

For WR Pickens and Skyy Moore or.....Alec Pierce and Jalen Tolbert?

For 5 tech or base end Logan Hall or....Leal and Mathis?

Descent sized gap in Booth/ Gordon and the rest and the same can be said for Edge Ojabo if he can return to form, never really know with injuries.  If he can than theres a huge gap from Ojabo to the next IMO.  Im higher on Pickens & Pierce simply because I think we need a WR with size and speed.  I also believe Leal will be there at 66 but the same could be said about Pierce at 77 so IMO it comes down to one of the CB's or Ojabo at 34. Depending on how far Pickens potentially falls I think itd be worth trading back up for

Edited by Boda

3 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

Obajo or Willis if we stay at #34 for me. (Though QB would have been more fitting at #32)

Honestly, the 5th year option thing is way overblown for QBs.

1. You're going to know if your QB is good or not before year 4,and you're gunna work out an extension with them before the 5th year option kicks in anyways. 

It seems with 5th year has been way more of a nuisance for teams; you have QBs like Mayfield and Arnold with guaranteed money on the books and become sagging assets. 

6 minutes ago, Boda said:

Descent sized gap in Booth/ Gordon and the rest and the same can be said for Edge Ojabo if he can return to form, never really know with injuries.  If he can than theres a huge gap from Ojabo to the next IMO.  Im higher on Pickens & Pierce simply because I think we need a WR with size and speed.  I also believe Leal will be there at 66 but the same could be said about Pierce at 77 so IMO it comes down to one of the CB's or Ojabo at 34. Depending on how far Pickens potentially falls I think itd be worth trading back up for

I think they can wait on Edge, so i agree there.

I think CB has a big drop, I agree there too.

But I also think Logan Hall is the PERFECT fit as a 5 tech for us and the players remaining in that role are few and far between in this draft. 

4 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

Honestly, the 5th year option thing is way overblown for QBs.

1. You're going to know if your QB is good or not before year 4,and you're gunna work out an extension with them before the 5th year option kicks in anyways. 

It seems with 5th year has been way more of a nuisance for teams; you have QBs like Mayfield and Arnold with guaranteed money on the books and become sagging assets. 

This is generally true, but in this case Willis (if drafted by minny) might sit for 2 seasons behind Cousins, hence why a 5th year option would buy minny more time in negotiations/development

Edited by CriminalMind
  • Like 1

Having the 5th year option on a QB might be nice, however there is a huge difference between picking a 1st round QB, and picking a 2nd round QB. If you take Willis at 32, all anyone will talk about is the QB "controversy" and when Willis takes over. It'll be a distraction, and he'll be expected to play much sooner. By waiting to 34, they have Cine to promote as the shiny new toy, and Willis will be seen as more of a developmental pick. 

4 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

This is generally true, but in this case Willis (if drafted by minny) might sit for 2 seasons behind Cousins, hence why a 5th year option would buy minny more time in negotiations/development

then don't drab a qb then if hes most likely to sit for 2 freaking years. you just wasted 2 cheap years of a rookie QB deal where you could have put big contract players around him

4 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

I think they can wait on Edge, so i agree there.

I think CB has a big drop, I agree there too.

But I also think Logan Hall is the PERFECT fit as a 5 tech for us and the players remaining in that role are few and far between in this draft. 

I get that if thats how you see it.  IMO I think Akeem Hicks is the perfect 5 Tech and although he doesn't add for the future he adds for the now and still allows us to be able to draft other positions of need.  Although this is a draft thread I personally still also check to see available FA's since thats another option of filling spots but wont turn this thread into a FA discussion

1 minute ago, battle2heaven said:

then don't drab a qb then if hes most likely to sit for 2 freaking years. you just wasted 2 cheap years of a rookie QB deal where you could have put big contract players around him

Yeah, I just don’t see us drafting a QB this high. Next year? Yes, absolutely.

2 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

The long game could be that KAM might not want to be backed into a corner to extend cousins again next off-season.