Jaguars select DE/OLB Travon Walker

.Buzz

Was really happy to hear them say they won’t get crazy with him right out of the gate. What a competent organization would do as you don’t throw everything on his plate right away. Sounds like they’ll focus on him coming off the edge as you’d expect.

5 hours ago, Tugboat said:

I mean, what is there to say about it?  Either he's great, or they completely ****ed up.

He's either a star, or they goofed it up.  Remains to be seen how much he can flourish when fully set loose.  I guess we'll see...

I don't see why people are down on the pick....I mean we drafted Taven Bryan 's replacement. 

Tv Land School GIF by Teachers on TV Land

22 minutes ago, Charles said:

I don't see why people are down on the pick....I mean we drafted Taven Bryan 's replacement. 

Actually he looks to be our new starting edge opposite of Allen .  

Bryan was an IDL all day.   Not a replacement for him. 

I'd say he's a replacement for ward if anything. 

10 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

Actually he looks to be our new starting edge opposite of Allen .  

Bryan was an IDL all day.   Not a replacement for him. 

I'd say he's a replacement for ward if anything. 

Lol..yeah.  was just hyperbole. He looks a little boom or bust to me, especially when compared to other edge guys that went high...hutch & thibs

I don’t know why I’m so optimistic about this pick it goes completely against what I want as a 1st overall or even a top 5 pick for that matter. I’d like to see him play primarily at OLB opposite of JA. According to Trent, he wasn’t expecting Walker to come out in this draft with all the talent Ga lost on defense this year he was expecting Walker to return to school and possibly have a sr. campaign similar to Josh Allen at UK. I’m not down on the pick do to the fact of the talent of this years draft on the top side wasn’t that great. As a bad team it either stays in the gutter or Walker turns into something special. Walker was going to be looked at in next years draft as a potential top 5 pick. Who knows but it was whispers that if Jags would have taken Aiden that even Detroit was considering Walker as well It’s taking a gamble on the traits I don’t like Baalke but I can respect a man who’ll stand up with conviction and say in the face of naysayers this is my guy. I like what Caldwell created in TB with White and David and they both give him credit for progressing their careers which gives me hope for the development of Walker, Lloyd, and Muma. Front 7 should be stout next year and you got a core of young guys for the future that can grow together. 

Edited by DuvalsKing

On 4/30/2022 at 6:08 AM, Charles said:

Seems maybe more like Dante Fowler's replacement if anything tbh.  Really, i'm sure they're hoping he's a bit of a Calais replacement...but that may be overly ambitious.

I don't see Travon as being all that similar to Taven as a prospect profile.  Travon isn't just a pure "ball of athletic clay" like Taven was coming out.  Travon actually has some discipline and technique, to hold up in a role, setting an edge, defending with restraint.  Taven was just...athletic splash plays, or absolutely nothing.  There were never any additional dimensions to his game.  On any given snap, he'd basically either win with superior athleticism, or get dummied.  Never really progressed beyond that as a Pro player.

With Travon, it feels like the "floor" is at least a bit higher.  Worst case, you've got an athletic and fairly disciplined edge setting defender.  Hopefully that's not all we've got here...but he doesn't feel like someone with that complete "bust" risk that Taven obviously carried.  Probably worst case, you just get a really disappointing, low impact player.