Round 2 Pick 34; Christian Watson, WR, NDSU

Packerraymond

2 hours ago, Rainmaker90 said:

I love this pick so much. It’s going to be so f****** funny when he goes off against Minnesota who allowed us to get him. Thank you Minnesota 

Here in Central Wis I have a number of friends from the Dakotas who are transplanted Vikings fans.  They are really pissed the Queens traded with the Packers for Watson as they don't have anybody to cover him. LOL!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, LLcheesehead12 said:

I definitely will take it.  Gute finally got his head out of his butt and did something to look to fill the empty cupboard at WR.

Now he needs to get one more WR and a TE in round 4 today

Gute wasn't going to reach in the 1st for a WR.  I'd say with what he did with his day 1 and 2 picks he had his head out of his butt the whole time!  Some just don't get how the draft works and how a good NFL team handles it's business

4 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

Here in Central Wis I have a number of friends from the Dakotas who are transplanted Vikings fans.  They are really pissed the Queens traded with the Packers for Watson as they don't have anybody to cover him. LOL!

They have Chandon Sullivan.

LET MY PEOPLE GO!

4 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Seriously though, they need to do something about that number 82. Easily the worst WR number. Should have given that number to Davis and slapped 84 on Watson if you where we're going with an 80s number. 

They're going to give Watson #17 .... Book it!!!  Lol

2 hours ago, Brit Pack said:

I like Brett Kollman, don't always agree with him but worth a listen for sure. He talks Watson from 10.10 onwards

Interesting just how polarizing Watson is. Here's another breakdown by Greg Cosell, who I generally respect in terms of his scouting breakdowns, that isn't nearly as flattering (28 min mark):

39 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

They traded twice to division teams! That really really weird. 

https://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart-Rich-Hill.asp

• Using Rich Hill draft-value chart, the two 2nd rounders were 106 and 91 = 197.  
  • Picks 27, 30, and 34 list as 216, 196, and 175.  
  • So, relative to pick #34, it seems a modest overpay. 
  • Relative to 1st-round #30, fair;
  • relative to picks 26, 27, or 28, right around where the Packers used their prior #1 pick, it would "count" as an excellent value.  

It's always scouting.  Obviously Gute valued the player as a first-round value, at #30 or better.  So he was willing to pay a price chart-valued as worth #30 or better. 

We'd seen some reports where one or two AFC GM's or scouts had said there were like 15 first-rounders on their boards.  Some posters have felt like 20-70 is a relatively flat plateau, such that any two second-rounders were more valuable than a single pick in the 20's.  Gute appears to have analyzed differently, and viewed Watson on a different plateau from the other 2nd-round WR.  Personally, I was of the view that two solid capable 2nd rounders would be helpful; but I am completely comfortable deferring to Gute and his scouts.  

Since Gute essentially paid a late-first-round price, and effectively valued Watson as a late-first-round value, I'd kinda like to look back at this as a 3-late-first-rounders draft.  Hopefully all three shake out as solid, durable, asset starters for the duration of their rookie deals.  And ideally one or more will not only be a solid starter but will emerge as kind of star(s).  

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

Watson had the highest Wonderlic of all WRs. Good to know. I like smart WRs and hopefully that translates to his play on the field.

Interesting, I love that. 

He's also a nice, wholesome guy.  That won't help much if he isn't good and he's dropping crucial throws.  But *if* he's good, having a high-end receiver who's both smart, good, and who is NOT a diva is kinda nice.  We've had a great string of likable, classy guys in the WR chain, hopefully he'll be another.  

• Like 1