Round 2 Pick 34; Christian Watson, WR, NDSU

Packerraymond

Feel this is more a DK Metcalf than MVS. I don't see great hip and ankle flex at speed, just like with Metcalf, everyone focused on that and told us that Metcalf was the next Mandarich freak athlete bust. No one focused on the fact that Metcalf was an alien of a human being as an athlete in the areas that he was good in. Play to his strengths, run him on the 7/8/9 routes because no DB will be able to match speed with him. They'll play off on him and it will open up hitch, comeback, slant. Same with drag routes, let him haul *** across the field.

Long story short, MVS is a bad comp and I see more DK. Don't make him waste movements with double moves, keep the in/out breaking routes to a minimum cause he'll need to drop speed to make those breaks. Play to his strengths, he's bigger than the guy across from him, he's faster than the guy across from him. As long as he keeps working on those hands, there's no reason he can't put up huge numbers.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Feel this is more a DK Metcalf than MVS. I don't see great hip and ankle flex at speed, just like with Metcalf, everyone focused on that and told us that Metcalf was the next Mandarich freak athlete bust. No one focused on the fact that Metcalf was an alien of a human being as an athlete in the areas that he was good in. Play to his strengths, run him on the 7/8/9 routes because no DB will be able to match speed with him. They'll play off on him and it will open up hitch, comeback, slant. Same with drag routes, let him haul *** across the field.

Long story short, MVS is a bad comp and I see more DK. Don't make him waste movements with double moves, keep the in/out breaking routes to a minimum cause he'll need to drop speed to make those breaks. Play to his strengths, he's bigger than the guy across from him, he's faster than the guy across from him. As long as he keeps working on those hands, there's no reason he can't put up huge numbers.

African American Reaction GIF

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

Interesting just how polarizing Watson is. Here's another breakdown by Greg Cosell, who I generally respect in terms of his scouting breakdowns, that isn't nearly as flattering (28 min mark):

I respect Greg Cosell opinions and he has makes lots of excellent points however I do find him a bit old fashioned in his thought processes.

10 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I don't really see Metcalf. He's much stronger and but more stiff than Watson. 

Watson is smoother, less of a sagittal plane athlete than Metcalf. Leaner, quicker and more agile. More of a glider but hits top speed faster, too.

I think a lot of that is an illusion looking at a 230 pound athlete vs 205. I just didn't see a lot of lower body flex on Watson. He can't break someone off at top speed and you don't have to, when you're that freaky.

Watson's hips is so flexible. It's what allows him to glide past players at 6'4". This makes him a threat for YAC. This is what separates him from MVS.

He has a excellent leap and body control making him a threat on the boundary. Again this is what separates him from MVS.

The only similarity between the two is their size and speed. That's it.

His route running is ok. I don't think his comebacks/curls is very good as he has trouble stopping quickly to turn around. By the time he turns around the DB is all over him. Other than that I think he is capable of doing most routes if he puts in the work to learn them.

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

I think a lot of that is an illusion looking at a 230 pound athlete vs 205. I just didn't see a lot of lower body flex on Watson. He can't break someone off at top speed and you don't have to, when you're that freaky.

I see a smoother athlete on his end-arounds and returns. When he moves in space with the ball he definitely looks different than Metcalf. I think this is evident in agility numbers, too. Watson is average there, Metcalf is borderline awful.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Chili said:

Watson's hips is so flexible. 

His route running is ok. I don't think his comebacks/curls is very good as he has trouble stopping quickly to turn around. 

Sentence one does not equal sentence two.

Look I'm not harping on Watson, I'm hoping this staff doesn't force him out of his strength, cause his strengths are incredibly rare.

8 hours ago, TheEagle said:

There's a lot of years over the last 11 where they would likely be a top 25 FBS team--especially the years they had NFL QBs (Wentz, Stick, and Lance). They've won like 7 games in a row against FBS teams--all on the road. The list includes Iowa, Iowa State, Minnesota, Kansas State, Kansas, and Colorado State. It's not Alabama or Georgia, but it's all power 5 teams. Iowa and Kansas State were top 25 teams. 

Fixed that for you. They haven't played Colorado yet 

5 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I was correcting the quote.

The scout said that Watson was the most dominant wide receiver he'd seen since Moss at the D2 level. 

I'm going to quote this every time I read it until it stops. Can we please recognize the difference between FCS and D2?